The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
jim-roberts63084

Newbie needs help on buying truck

First off my name is jimmy, i joined this forum to read and learn about 67-72 chevy trucks. I currently do not own one, but am wanting to sell my camaro to fund a project for one of these trucks. Im wanting to get a 71-72 chevy k10 swb, (dont we all) and im learning that there hard to find and when you do find them your gonna have to pay the $$$ that i dont have. So i got to thinking why dont i just build my own, I have the education, tools, and small shop. My idea is to find a lwb k10 with kinda rough body and good frame etc, and find a c10 with good body parts and put the c10 body on the k10! I also been reading and doesnt look to bad, is to cut a lwb down to a swb. Im going to post three links to craigslist of the trucks i was thinking about buying to do this. I belive it will be worth it in the long run, but im kinda new to these trucks and you guys are more familer with them becouse most of you own/built your own.

The first link is to the camaro im selling
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/4278961618.html

The second link is the 69 chevy c10
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/4266883334.html

The third link is the 68 chevy k10
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/4268056219.html

I just wanted to get your guys opinion, I dont wanna jump on the first thing i see but dont wanna pass up a deal either, im thinking i could get the 68 for 2500 and the 69 for 3000, so thats 5500 and i think i could have a complete truck. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated
jim-roberts63084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
70LonghornCST

Re: Newbie needs help on buying truck

Hello and welcome! As far as your questions, your thinking is right since your have the skills to achieve what you want. The prices are not high in IMHO, but of course it would really depend on how extensive the rust is. If it's minimal, those are great prices. Good luck, and glad to have you aboard!
-Richard
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
70LonghornCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:49 PM   #3
MashTheGas 72

Welcome! Your definitely headed in the right direction. I think if you have a little time depending on your budget you could probably find a SWB. Save some work and $. This is by far the greatest site you'll ever find. Everybody is more than willing to help. There will be more post that will help you more than mine I'm sure.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #4
Unionwelder

Are you dead set on the swb? A good lwb k10 is just as sexy. Just my opinion. Prices are good and if you want to do the conversion you have two good platforms to work with.good luck with your build keep us posted.
Right." -Henry Ford
1972 chevy lwb
1934 ford p/u
Unionwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
71veronica

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashTheGas 72 View Post
Welcome! Your definitely headed in the right direction. I think if you have a little time depending on your budget you could probably find a SWB. Save some work and $. This is by far the greatest site you'll ever find. Everybody is more than willing to help. There will be more post that will help you more than mine I'm sure.
What he said. Save your self some work and money. Try and find a swb they are out there for reasonable amount. That's just my opinion though. Good luck
71veronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #6
i82much

Man I hate to see good trucks get hacked up. I am just getting my head wrapped around SWB being all the rage, and that's great and people should do what makes them happy. But I sure like to see a truck that is more or less how it was built and maybe even out doing a little work here and there.
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:31 PM   #7
jim-roberts63084

Yea I agree i like lwb trucks that are lifted, but im dead set on a swb k10, i think im gonna wait till i sell my maro and hold out and just keep looking for a swb, so far i havent seen any swb k10's for under $10,000 , Thx for the input. If i did do the conversion i would do it right and not "hack it up" lol I will keep you posted, for now im just gonna read up on these forums on what to look for etc, and just keep searching till i find something i like! thx guys
Old 01-14-2014, 12:26 AM   #8
Tomahawk30

Hi Jim, and welcome to the board from Kentucky (recently transplanted from Oregon). If you are dead set on a relatively affordable swb k10 in the four digits, I highly suggest looking out west. You could probably get one shipped for $1200-$1500 from the Portland, OR area for example. From what I've seen since moving out here, 67-72 4x4s are relatively scarce hereabouts. I don't know if there were just fewer sold here or if they all rusted out, but they are just scarce. Back in Oregon, I bought a 69 shortbox stepside k10, 383 stroker, manual tranny, original black, for $2000 a couple years ago. Admittedly it was a project, but you can find them. Just keep your eyes peeled and it helps to have cash on hand! As for the shipping, try to find them along freeways out there. Trucking costs go way up when you get out in the "backwoods" where I lived.

Also, try copying and pasting the following (and variations of it to narrow it down) into Craigslist:

(truck | pickup | c10 | k10) (gmc | chevy | chevrolet) (1967 | 1968 | 1969 | 1970 | 1971 | 1972)

There's several variations that work, but you get the idea.... You can look for two-didget years as well, but 71 tends to bring up a lot of z71 newer trucks. I do see a lot of them listed that way though... Keep looking. They are out there!

1972 C10 Custom Deluxe Highlander - sold
1971 Cheyenne Super Longhorn -sold
1972 Cheyenne Super SWB 4x4 -sold, bought back, sold again... I'm dumb.
1970 Chevy C10 SWB "Sprout" -sold
1972 Cheyenne K20 -sold
1969 GMC Shortbox Stepside 4x4 -sold
1972 GMC Jimmy 4x4 -sold
Tomahawk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:38 AM   #9
Tomahawk30

Not the cheapest one I've ever found, but here's a decent example I just found:
http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/4209603285.html

1972 Cheyenne K20 -sold
1972 GMC Jimmy 4x4 -sold
Old 01-14-2014, 12:50 AM   #10
Tomahawk30

Sorry to take over the thread, but one more thing.... . Be cautious when you do find a swb. There are a ton that are shortened long box trucks. I've seen a lot of debate as to how that does or doesn't effect the value when buying or selling one, but everyone here has seen enough chop jobs done dangerously wrong to at least warrant caution. Try to find one with a SPID that matches vin numbers with at least the cab and that indicates a 115 wheelbase. Don't necessarily take that as gospel, as that could be a cab swap, but it's a start. And don't be afraid to post pictures of ones you find, especially if it isn't close to home. The guys on here can pick out little details that look out of place in a heartbeat. Doing that has saved me from at least one questionable purchase... Some guys will even go look at one in person for you. Membership has its privileges!

1972 Cheyenne K20 -sold
1972 GMC Jimmy 4x4 -sold
Old 01-15-2014, 12:26 AM   #11
jim-roberts63084

Tomahawk30- Thank you so much for your input, im gonna hold out and wait to have cash in hand and find one. I will post pictures as soon as I find one that's strikes my interest! thx again guys
Old 01-15-2014, 02:36 AM   #12
70cst

Hey jim-roberts63084 ...

to the forums and from Ohio

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #13
jim-roberts63084

Hey guys I was just farting around on craigslist and found this, im gonna go look at it tomorrow and hopefully buy but wanted to get your opinion
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/4287410731.html
what do you guys think, the only thing that scares me is the different frame and bumpers but body looks straight, cant tell if its a short bed or long bed
Old 01-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #14
Tomahawk30

It's definitely a shortbed if it's on a blazer frame. I'm not sure what the wheelbase is on the later model Blazers, but I know the first gen Blazers have a shorter wheelbase than the shortbox trucks do. It also might limit what bumpers you can use if it's a later model frame. I honestly have no idea what kind of mounting differences, if any, there are between the earlier and later frames, but somebody here is sure to know.

As far as the frame being different, personally I wouldn't buy it because I like mine as original as I can, but that's just a personal preference. The real discussion that usually comes up with cab /frame discrepancies is with title concerns. That may depend on how finicky and thorough the DMV is where you live. If you are keeping it titled in Missouri, it might not be an issue, but if you sold it across state lines it usually has to be inspected (often by the state police) before a new title is issued. If you happened to get a REALLY thorough person looking to match a frame vin and cab vin, there's a chance it wouldn't pass. I passed on a truck a couple years ago for that very reason. It might have been fine, but I didn't feel comfortable taking the chance.

All this is not to say you should or shouldn't still buy it if you like it. That's a pretty small price tag, especially if it is as nice as it appears. Just know that it will never have the same value as an original one. I say you should ask to see the title or registration (just to verify how it is listed). You could always take a day and call the DMV. If you are comfortable and satisfied that it can be easily titled and tagged, and the non-original frame doesn't bother you, I say go for it and just enjoy driving the heck out of it!

Just my $0.02, which is worth about what you paid to hear it!

1972 Cheyenne K20 -sold
1972 GMC Jimmy 4x4 -sold
Old 01-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #15
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-roberts63084 View Post
Hey guys I was just farting around on craigslist and found this, im gonna go look at it tomorrow and hopefully buy but wanted to get your opinion.....what do you guys think, the only thing that scares me is the different frame and bumpers but body looks straight, cant tell if its a short bed or long bed
$3,800? From the pictures (even sideways), the body alone would be worth more than that.

It's definitely a strange swap. And you could absolutely work out the bumpers. That's the least of the places to start checking.
I'd look at the radiator core support fitment. In fact, look at all the connection points and suspension closely. Drive it. "Feel" it.

If the body, front clip, hood, and bed are not filled with bondo (take a magnet), and the body lines are pretty straight, and the
registration is "honest", how many people would be lined up for those parts alone for $4,000?

In good old Califonee, this truck would likely be registered as the Blazer's year, subjecting it to smog Nazi-ism.

Looks like fun for my $.02.
But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #16
Tomahawk30

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh View Post
$3,800? From the pictures (even sideways), the body alone would be worth more than that.

It's definitely a strange swap. And you could absolutely work out the bumpers. That's the least of the places to start checking.
I'd look at the radiator core support fitment. In fact, look at all the connection points and suspension closely. Drive it. "Feel" it.

If the body, front clip, hood, and bed are not filled with bondo (take a magnet), and the body lines are pretty straight, and the
registration is "honest", how many people would be lined up for those parts alone for $4,000?

In good old Califonee, this truck would likely be registered as the Blazer's year, subjecting it to smog Nazi-ism.

Looks like fun for my $.02.

That's a good point too... You might even be able to keep an eye out for a roller and do a proper swap if the body us really good. You could spend a heck of a lot more than $3800 on paint and body work to get a rough one to that condition.

1972 Cheyenne K20 -sold
1972 GMC Jimmy 4x4 -sold
Old 01-15-2014, 04:23 PM   #17
jim-roberts63084

I'm going to look at this truck tomorrow and hopefully buy it, yea later on down the road I could find a swb truck frame and do it right, as far as the wheel base should I take a tape measure and measure from wheel to wheel and what should I be looking for? Anything else I should look for?
Old 01-15-2014, 04:42 PM   #18
magwakeenercew2jh

Quote:
I'm going to look at this truck tomorrow and hopefully buy it, yea later on down the road I could find a swb truck frame and do it right, as far as the wheel base should I take a tape measure and measure from wheel to wheel and what should I be looking for? Anything else I should look for?
I'd bet a million bucks (if I had it) that it wouldn't measure EXACTLY 115". Why should it? Unless that Blazer came out of the factory with a 115" WB.
Or he cut the Blazer frame down to meet the body. Because of the mis-matched bumpers, and the "why do that" factor, I suspect not.

But, since you mention it, and if you DO check and find it measures 115", after determining the WB stats on the original Blazer are not
"factory 115", I'd be under there for a long time looking for welds.

Of course, I love the looks of that truck....Which would have me under it for a long time, anyway....and finding nothing scary after I drove it,
that guy would get my hard-earned dough.
But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 01-15-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:49 PM   #19
Lattimer

Quote:
Check all the body to frame mounts and make sure nothing looks cobbled together. Check the radiator support and make sure its mounted reasonably.

Look for all the typical rust, and check for bondo with a refrigerator magnet.

Drive it and feel it in some corners and on bumps, make sure it feels ok.

As long as its done right and the title works, I see no issue with a frame swap.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:50 PM   #20
magwakeenercew2jh

BTW, here are some of your pics turned right-side-up.
Attached Images

But always a rat.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:50 PM   #21
jim-roberts63084

yea Im gonna look it over good, look at the welds of the body mounts etc, Now lets say I bought this truck, could I bolt factory front and rear bumpers on or do they not match up to a blazer frame? The other picture that scares me is the one of the dash, the wirings looks like a mess, witch I can fix but it seems like its to cheap of a truck for what it is! This is a 68 so did this truck come with factory p/s and power brakes? ill let you guys know if I find anything else out when I call him, ive just been texting. I know the body and bed any everything is worth this much
Old 01-15-2014, 04:52 PM   #22
jim-roberts63084

Thanks magwakeenercew2jh- ive been sitting here with my compuer screen sideways lol
Old 01-15-2014, 04:54 PM   #23
jim-roberts63084

Another question is why do they ppl keep calling all these truck c-10 4x4, wouldn't that mean its a k-10. Ive heard (idk if its true) that they put c-10 badging on k-10 trucks
Old 01-15-2014, 05:00 PM   #24
magwakeenercew2jh

Quote:
yea Im gonna look it over good, look at the welds of the body mounts etc, Now lets say I bought this truck, could I bolt factory front and rear bumpers on or do they not match up to a blazer frame? The other picture that scares me is the one of the dash, the wirings looks like a mess, witch I can fix but it seems like its to cheap of a truck for what it is! This is a 68 so did this truck come with factory p/s and power brakes? ill let you guys know if I find anything else out when I call him, ive just been texting. I know the body and bed any everything is worth this much
Hey, jim-rob.

I think it's time to think of this like this:

You buy this truck. You would have a Blazer. Whatever year Blazer it is (I forgot).
A Blazer that someone bolted a '68 stepper front clip, cab and body on.

If they did it well, that's a very tasty thing. If they didn't, it could be....well....

Wiring? What works and what doesn't work? Bumpers? You'll have to figure out the mods to get 68 bumpers on her....
That same million I bet a minute ago would say stock '68 bumper brackets wouldn't work. Not at least without some
fun cutting, grinding and welding. And, Hell, that's why some of us like these trucks!

Power steering and brakes? Gotta go back to what truck you're talking about. The truck is a Blazer with seemingly a really,
really nice set of '68 clothes on her. If she got a nice set of shoes, purse and a necklace or two also, so much the better.
But always a rat.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #25
Lattimer

Quote:
Another question is why do they ppl keep calling all these truck c-10 4x4, wouldn't that mean its a k-10. Ive heard (idk if its true) that they put c-10 badging on k-10 trucks
There was never a K-10 badge, so uninformed people call the 4x4's a c-10

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote