The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2019, 03:49 PM   #26
mr48chev

Re: 57 GMC 100 vs 57 Chevy Question?

Back in the 50's the hard core GMC guys would always brag that their 47/54 or 55/59 GMC frames were "heavier" than Chevy frames. No difference in the frames except the front and center crossmembers but a lot of those guys liked to think that the material in the frames was heavier.

In the 70's the hot lick was to swap out the GMC hood for a Chevy hood when you redid one, You don't see that much anymore but it was real common then.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:15 PM   #27
dsraven

post some pics of what you have, if ANYTHING is assembled, and I can possibly help you out. I have a Canadian 57 gmc with the chevy rad support so I can snap a few pics of how it goes together. mine is also fully dissassembled so this will not be a "first thing in the morning" deal for me. I have to first find the stuff then put it together in sub assemblies so you can see how it fits. I do not have the rad support because I have fabbed a new one to fit my needs with a frame swap. do you have the front bumper and the sheet metal panel that attaches to that and covers the lower, side to side fender connector that attaches to the bottom of each inner front fender extension? the hood latch is also factored in out in front of the rad as well.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:23 PM   #28
Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
post some pics of what you have, if ANYTHING is assembled, and I can possibly help you out. I have a Canadian 57 gmc with the chevy rad support so I can snap a few pics of how it goes together. mine is also fully dissassembled so this will not be a "first thing in the morning" deal for me. I have to first find the stuff then put it together in sub assemblies so you can see how it fits. I do not have the rad support because I have fabbed a new one to fit my needs with a frame swap. do you have the front bumper and the sheet metal panel that attaches to that and covers the lower, side to side fender connector that attaches to the bottom of each inner front fender extension? the hood latch is also factored in out in front of the rad as well.
I have the panel that goes between front fender yes, and the front bumper with the two “bullets” . Pretty sure I have what I need but trying to piece it together - my problem is that I spend sporadic amounts of time in the shop. Any pics or info you can share would be extremely appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:26 PM   #29
Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
I have the panel that goes between front fender yes, and the front bumper with the two “bullets” . Pretty sure I have what I need but trying to piece it together - my problem is that I spend sporadic amounts of time in the shop. Any pics or info you can share would be extremely appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device
With your help and some time I’m sure I can figure it out!
Are there any books or assembly manuals that show the GMC grill?
I’ll post picks ASAP.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2019, 11:03 PM   #30
paulspickupparts

There is an illustration in one of the GMC Master Parts books. 55 and 56 are mostly the same 57 has some different parts and part #'s .
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:59 PM   #31
Old57

Here's some pics from when I tore apart my 57 GMC 100
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2019, 11:57 AM   #32
Strider

Thanks OLD 57! Helps a bit and wanted to say that I love what you did with your build. Excellent job!

Your pics show the American rad wall for the GMC - mine is the Canadian rad wall which ( I did not know this until recently) is the Chevy version. But your pics give me some good ideas as to how certain things go.

I'll have to check my parts stash - truck came in pieces like lego (minus the box, lol) and so I'm wondering if there are small brackets missing ( like the ones that attached that latch panel to the rad wall).

If anyone else has pics, info, or books/diagrams I can look up or search out - please send this way and know it is appreciated!
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." ~Sherlock Holmes
"Deeds will not be less valliant because they are unpraised." ~ Aragorn
Old 01-29-2019, 05:41 PM   #33
dsraven

strider,
sorry man. phone had to go to the shop for repair. can't snap any pics till I get it back.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:56 PM   #34
Strider

No problem- when you get a chance post them in here. I’ll wait and see if others can help too. Much appreciated!
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." ~Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-31-2019, 09:49 AM   #35
Strider

Anyone else out there with a 57 GMC and the Chevy rad wall - need pics of that version for assembly of the grill.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:45 PM   #36
dsraven

strider, sorry man. I have misplaced my grille. must be in my storage area but not going over there for a while, kinda not close.
do you have any pics of what you have there? maybe I can let you know what fits with what.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #37
dsraven

strider, it is -32C here today, I had planned on getting over to my storage place but that will likely have to wait, lol.
from memory, there is the 2 angle pieces that bolt to the fenders ahead of the rad support. these are about 1 1/2" angles and bolt on with 2 bolts per side. then there is a cross bar that bolts to that and connects the tops of the 2 fenders. the mustache parts (grille surround) bolt to the cross bar with a couple bolts and then the side parts of the mustache slip inside the ends of the center section and then bolt to the front fenders near the edge of the grille openings where there is a flat spot formed into that area. this is whee the chevy fenders differ from the gmc fenders. the hole for the chevy marker light is covered with a rubber grommet. the grille has brackets on the back side that bolt to the front fender extensions. there is also a piece of sheet metal that bolts to the front bumper and covers the lower fender connecting part.
dunno if that helps but if you can come up with some pics of what you have for parts I am sure I can tell you what bolts to what and how it should go together. just got off my shift today so 3 days off to work with before going back. I do keep tabs on the site though.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:21 AM   #38
dsraven

does this help at all?

http://www.2040-parts.com/1957-gmc-g...re-57-i391731/
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2019, 11:25 AM   #39
dsraven

I know the rad and other stuff is different due to the mods for my application but they do show some relevant stuff to how the grille surround fits and the lower fender connector fits.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2019, 11:30 AM   #40
dsraven

a few more. one shows the lower cross brace that connects the fenders at the bottom. it bolts to the fender extensions on each end plus from the back side of the extension as well. mine was pretty rusty so I scabbed it together for mock up to get the proper stock dimensions.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2019, 11:31 AM   #41
dsraven

these are chevy fenders so they don't have the proper flat spot for the grille suround mustache to bolt to yet.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:36 AM   #42
dsraven

one pic, with the old fender extensions, shows the bolt holes for the actual grille to bolt to the extensions on each side. 2 bolts per side from the back side of the extension i think. one pic of the group also shows the hood latch in place.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #43
dsraven

here are a couple showing the 57 front fender grille surround (mustache) attachment points. one bolt through the flat spot in the edge of the grille opening and another around the corner towards the outside. the driver's side fender is a gmc fender. the one on the other side was a chvy fender with the outer grille surround bolted on, kinda, so it didn't fit correctly. it was a farm truck and never left the place so it looked good from the road, lol.
the other part that I don't seem to have any pics for is the part that bolts to the front bumper and then the bottom of the grille attaches to that. it is flat (sorta) sheet metal that fits between the bumperettes (?) and flows back from there towards the rad. sorry, no pic.
hope all that helps somehow
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2019, 11:56 AM   #44
dsraven

here is what it looks like now, in case you are interested. one shows a possibly relevant pic of the grille mocked in the opening bolted in to the fender extensions with the original style chevy rad support in place but the mustache outer parts are simply held with a magnet because my fenders are chevy parts and don't have the flat spots in the grille surround modified yet.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2019, 12:00 PM   #45
dsraven

here is a pic of the day it came home with a complete front end on it. maybe some help to see what it looks like stock. you can see the flat sheet metal part behind the bumper.
it was -30C that day too. sort of a trend eh?
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2019, 12:46 AM   #46
Missyblue

here's some shots that helped me. and my front 57 grill together. but I'm American not Canadian for the radiator sorry. but let me known if you need any other closeups of the backside or anything. I don't have the radiator installed though just have all the pieces.
Attached Images

Missyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:36 AM   #47
Missyblue

install order suggestions that worked for me
1. install hood latch plate loosely to start lining up front fenders
2. install grill
3. attach eyebrow pieces together (the ones with the blinkers in them) my photo is misleading installed the driver side then had to remove to get the passenger side slid on since they attach together. then attach to hood latch plate.
4. attach bumper
5. then bumper fill plate
6. then bullets
7. then tighten down the hood latch plate

I think thats everything. let me knowing any other photos would help you. and good luck
Missyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:13 PM   #48
Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
here is a pic of the day it came home with a complete front end on it. maybe some help to see what it looks like stock. you can see the flat sheet metal part behind the bumper.
it was -30C that day too. sort of a trend eh?
Been bloody cold here in Thunder Bay too lately - and tons of snow. Can post pics soon of that and of the project. Watching 5 kids tonight though so eventually I will this weekend, get to the garage and snap some pics.

Thanks so much for all this detail!!!! HUGE HELP!

Will post more pics with questions soon. I have to look through parts that came with the truck - might be missing some brackets!

Stay warm and chat soon!
Old 02-10-2019, 05:36 PM   #49
Strider

Check out this snow! And cold too - -30 Celcius steady.
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2019, 05:37 PM   #50
Strider

ok - gotta learn to post pics better - but if anyone wants I can sell them some snow - going cheap 5lb bag for $2.