The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2019, 08:59 PM   #1
Slowguy

Issues with performance online. Drop spindle vs ball joint and engine mounts

I ordered the drop spindle kit with the disc brake Conversion. At the same time I ordered ball joints upper and lower. I think they may have mistakenly given me ball joints that don’t work with the spindle they provided. In the full up position of the fully aired up suspension, the upper control arms make contact with the spindle. It seems like the upper ball joints are not properly sized and seat too far into the spindle. Conversely, I think the lower ball joints don’t seat far enough as I can’t insert the pin that keeps the nut from backing off. Codder pin I think it’s commonly called.

Also, I mounted the tubular engine perches today. The upper frame holes lined up fine and I chose the forward set of holes. The lower, single hole in the crossmember didn’t quite line up so I had to drill a new one - no big deal. The issue with the engine mount (I got the sliding adjustable mounts for ls) is that the single horizontal bolt I can’t seem to line up on driver side. Wondering if this is common? My next step is to loosen the bolts that mount to perches to the frame in hopes of getting the extra wiggle room necessary to get the horizontal bolts through. Finally, any suggestion where to start the slider mounts without having the cab on to check clearances? I’m guessing the most forward position?

Last edited by Slowguy; 02-03-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Slowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:03 PM   #2
Slowguy

Re: Issues with performance online stuff. Anyone else dealt with?

I’ll see if I can get some better pics of the spindle issue tomorrow, just hoping someone might have some insight from my long-winded description. I can also try and take a better pic of the engine mount bolt issue tomorrow, but again, I always figure; if I’m having this issue chances are many others have also.
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2019, 11:57 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Re: Issues with performance online. Drop spindle vs ball joint and engine mounts

I don't use their products but I think I've seen others have problems because their drop spindles are actually for the later trucks for one size fits all convenience for them, and you need to get the ball joints for that application. I could be wrong, but I've seen the same issue with one brand.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:03 PM   #4
Slowguy

Re: Issues with performance online. Drop spindle vs ball joint and engine mounts

I have a second C10 after this one I’d like to do the same things to. I don’t think I’ll use performancd online again. Next to impossible to even get them to respond. It’s odd, it’s like they aren’t real company or have no one working to handle any sort of customer support at all.

Now I’m not sure what to do to get it right. I’ll order a whole new set of ball joints from somewhere else if only I new what spindle they sent. What’s even worse is that they sent all these parts as their “kit”. So I have no clue why they don’t work together properly.

As a side note, i asked them what I could do to use their adjustable ls mounts and still be able to use a low mount compressor. After a couple of weeks they responded, very simply, “there is nothing available that will allow you to do that”. Move forward, search and ask on this forum, and viola, I have an answer. Get the kit from dirty dingo and it worked like a charm.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:29 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Check the review board here. Plenty complaints with them. I go with the best, Early Classics Enterprise. They know these trucks, it's what they do. No complaints

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:19 PM   #6
Slowguy

Deleted post. Made an error

Last edited by Slowguy; 02-14-2019 at 09:15 PM.