The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board > Blazer and Suburban Stuff

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2018, 11:48 AM   #1
Newtynewt

WTB: Bumper guard bracket

2nd try. I posted earlier needing 1 of the s type Brackets to atttach a bumper guard to my blazer. The thread is showing 6 replies but I believe the last reply by “Anthonyunalt” corrupted the file as it contains very irrelevant info about drywall caulking. I now cannot access the thread. So...if anyone that previously replied with an offer or advice could please respond to this post of pm me that would be much appreciated. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Newtynewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:00 PM   #2
Ironhorse

Re: WTB: Bumper guard bracket

Haven't read your other post but just taking a guess here. Are you referring to the straps or brackets that mount to the bottom of the 71-72 style bumper guards and act as a bit of a tension hook for the guard? A pic would help but pretty sure I have a set of those in the parts stash. LMK and I will look for them if that is what you are looking for.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:24 PM   #3
Ironhorse

The brackets or straps I have in the parts stash are totally different from the ones on the bottom of my 71/72 guards. Sorry I couldn't help.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 12-29-2018, 12:41 PM   #4
Newtynewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
The brackets or straps I have in the parts stash are totally different from the ones on the bottom of my 71/72 guards. Sorry I couldn't help.
Hey IH. Here’s a pic
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2018, 01:05 PM   #5
Ironhorse

Same straps or brackets I have on my 71 4x4 guards. Mount to the bottom of the guard thru a thread nut clip and hook to the under side of the bumper. The upper portion of the guard uses an existing bumper bolt that is removed and the longer carriage style bolt from the guard runs thru the bumper. Should be pretty easy to fab up a pair if you don't find originals.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 12-31-2018, 02:40 PM   #6
Newtynewt

Hey ih. Could you provide some clarity on your last post please? The bumper guards I have hook to the front bumper at the top with the hook pictured and on the bottom with another hook. Nothing I see allows for an existing carriage bolt as you said. Consider me confused so I apologize. But if you wouldn’t mind helping me understand.
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2018, 06:45 PM   #7
Ironhorse

Curious, are you using the taller 71/72 style bumper guards with the rubber impact strips or the shorter 67-70 all metal guards? I believe the all metal earlier style guards do not mount using a carriage bolt at all. Thinking they might mount using only the metal straps you refer to. Not really up to speed on the earlier style. I do know from past threads I have read the early ones did not mount using the existing bumper bolt holes as they do for 71/72. I will take a couple pics tomorrow and post to this thread and you can compare. You might also do a search for 67-70 bumper guards and get some help reading them.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 01-02-2019, 05:47 PM   #8
Ironhorse

Sorry took me so long to post up the pics of the guards on my '71 4x4. The upper bolt from the guard goes thru the bumper bolt upper hole after you remove it. Lower bolt that is hard to see let alone get a pic of it goes thru the lower hole after the bumper bolt is removed. Remove both upper and lower bumper mount bolts to the left and right of the center license plate mounting area. Do one guard at a time and I used the black vinyl self stick door edge trim to prevent the bumper guard from contacting and rubbing the chrome on your bumper. I also used the lower strap to hook to the bumper edge but don't really think it is needed. The bolts hold the guard quite securely.

This is only if you are using the taller 71/72 bumper guards. The shorter 67-70 style I believe do use only straps to mount to the bumper and also mount further outboard from the bumper mounts bolts. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 01-02-2019, 09:35 PM   #9
Newtynewt

Quote:
Sorry took me so long to post up the pics of the guards on my '71 4x4. The upper bolt from the guard goes thru the bumper bolt upper hole after you remove it. Lower bolt that is hard to see let alone get a pic of it goes thru the lower hole after the bumper bolt is removed. Remove both upper and lower bumper mount bolts to the left and right of the center license plate mounting area. Do one guard at a time and I used the black vinyl self stick door edge trim to prevent the bumper guard from contacting and rubbing the chrome on your bumper. I also used the lower strap to hook to the bumper edge but don't really think it is needed. The bolts hold the guard quite securely.

This is only if you are using the taller 71/72 bumper guards. The shorter 67-70 style I believe do use only straps to mount to the bumper and also mount further outboard from the bumper mounts bolts. Hope this helps.
Hey man. Thanks so much. I’ve included a couple of pics showing how I believe these go on mine. The bottom hook and the top s bracket. (Minus the s hook because in typical me fashion I have now misplaced it as well). But I posted a pic of it earlier. I am laughable I know. But regarding the carriage bolt. How can go it go thru the guard and the bumper? There is at least a 2 inch space for snide the bumper. Would I use a longer bolt? It seems that would compromise the stability of the bumper itself. Anyway. Thanks for taking a look and helping me figure this out.
Marc
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2019, 09:36 PM   #10
Newtynewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtynewt View Post
Hey man. Thanks so much. I’ve included a couple of pics showing how I believe these go on mine. The bottom hook and the top s bracket. (Minus the s hook because in typical me fashion I have now misplaced it as well). But I posted a pic of it earlier. I am laughable I know. But regarding the carriage bolt. How can go it go thru the guard and the bumper? There is at least a 2 inch space for snide the bumper. Would I use a longer bolt? It seems that would compromise the stability of the bumper itself. Anyway. Thanks for taking a look and helping me figure this out.
Marc
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2019, 09:49 PM   #11
Ironhorse

From what I see in the pic the carriage bolt you have at the top of the guard should be moved to the lower position. You can access the bolt slots buy removing the nuts from the rubber impact cushions. Just be careful if somewhat rusted, they could snap off and then your impact strip is toast as they are molded into the strip. You seem to be missing the longer top carriage bolt that goes thru the guard, the bumper and the bumper bracket. Did you buy those guards used, swap meet buy, salvage yard, ....? The " J " hook you have is like a pair I found in my parts shed. Maybe I might be able to help you after all. Will dig them out tomorrow and post a pic of them along with the dimensions. If need be I can pull one of my guards off and get the actual measurements for you to include the bolt diameters and lengths of the two I am using.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 01-02-2019, 10:28 PM   #12
Newtynewt

Your too kind but no need to pull yours. I’ve got some local sources that may be able to help I just need to find time to get to them. These cane with the blazer when I bought it so I assumed they are correct. I would for certain move the upper carriage bolt down as that’s the only way it fits. But to be sure, your saying there needs to be another carriage bolt. There are light scratch marks on the bumper indicating where these were but they are beside the existing carriage bolts. I wonder if po had them on with just the upper and lower hooks? Hmmm
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-03-2019, 10:40 AM   #13
Ironhorse

Yes, the 71-72 taller guards like I have and the ones in your pic do need the longer upper carriage bolt. Both the upper and lower bolts go thru the existing bumper mount holes. The impact strip needs to be removed and then the carriage bolts inserted into the guards and replace the impact strip. Be sure you use the door edge vinyl strips or you will scratch your bumper with the frame and bumper/guards moving as being driven down the road. The upper hook for sure and most likely even the lower hook I don't think are needed as the carriage bolts hold very securely. I installed the lower one as when I bought the guards at a swap meet they came with them. Mostly just because I guess, LOL. Good luck with your install.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 01-16-2019, 08:53 AM   #14
Newtynewt

Quote:
Yes, the 71-72 taller guards like I have and the ones in your pic do need the longer upper carriage bolt. Both the upper and lower bolts go thru the existing bumper mount holes. The impact strip needs to be removed and then the carriage bolts inserted into the guards and replace the impact strip. Be sure you use the door edge vinyl strips or you will scratch your bumper with the frame and bumper/guards moving as being driven down the road. The upper hook for sure and most likely even the lower hook I don't think are needed as the carriage bolts hold very securely. I installed the lower one as when I bought the guards at a swap meet they came with them. Mostly just because I guess, LOL. Good luck with your install.
Good morning IH. Just one more quick question. You mentioned in your previous reply that I need the “longer upper carriage bolt” to install the bumper guards. Are you saying that only the upper one needs to be longer than the original and the lower one will work as is? Just eyeballing the guard it looks like the lower bolt would need to be longer based on the size/shape of the guard. And...
I assume so but will the original diameter bolt size fit thru the guard or do I need a smaller diameter?
Thanks so much for you assistance. With it, hopefully, I can get this right with one trip to the hardware store.
Marc
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #15
Ironhorse

Went up to the shop and measured the upper carriage bolt. Best as I can get for a measurement is about 5 1/2'' in length. Same diameter as the bumper bolts. The lower bumper bolt does not access the bumper guard at all, it remains in the bumper as original. The lower strap attaches to the guard and then attaches to the lower bumper lip. It does have a PN on it but I did not think to write it down. If you don't have the strap would be very simple to make one. I added my guards over 10 years ago so from my first posting a few details for the install may have been a bit hazy.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 01-16-2019, 03:53 PM   #16
tmontg01

Didn't realize there was a bottom strap to these, definitely need to try and make them.
tmontg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:55 PM   #17
Newtynewt

Quote:
Went up to the shop and measured the upper carriage bolt. Best as I can get for a measurement is about 5 1/2'' in length. Same diameter as the bumper bolts. The lower bumper bolt does not access the bumper guard at all, it remains in the bumper as original. The lower strap attaches to the guard and then attaches to the lower bumper lip. It does have a PN on it but I did not think to write it down. If you don't have the strap would be very simple to make one. I added my guards over 10 years ago so from my first posting a few details for the install may have been a bit hazy.
Your a gentlemen and a scholar. Thanks so much and you may have saved me some additional effort. One of the impact strips has aseized nut in the middle position. I may be able to bend the impact strip out enough to get the carriage bolt in.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2019, 04:14 PM   #18
Ironhorse

Be careful trying to bend that impact strip back. Bending it back to insert the carriage bolt may put a visible "kink" in it that will show when bent back. Before you do that, get some PB Rust Blaster or similar break free agent and let it set for awhile. Soak the seized nut and cover it with a small soaked bit of cloth to keep it wet. Just not enough oil to cause spontaneous combustion, it does happen. If you twist too hard trying to break the nut free you may tear the captured bolt out from the impact strip.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 01-16-2019, 04:48 PM   #19
Newtynewt

Quote:
Be careful trying to bend that impact strip back. Bending it back to insert the carriage bolt may put a visible "kink" in it that will show when bent back. Before you do that, get some PB Rust Blaster or similar break free agent and let it set for awhile. Soak the seized nut and cover it with a small soaked bit of cloth to keep it wet. Just not enough oil to cause spontaneous combustion, it does happen. If you twist too hard trying to break the nut free you may tear the captured bolt out from the impact strip.
Yep. Not gonna try that. The insertion point is below the second ut anyway. Gonna try and cut the nut loose with a dremmel tool.
Thanks again
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2019, 05:44 PM   #20
Newtynewt

Quote:
Yep. Not gonna try that. The insertion point is below the second ut anyway. Gonna try and cut the nut loose with a dremmel tool.
Thanks again
Posted via Mobile Device
Well ironhorse. I think I’m out of options. But I’m listening. The captured bolt is no longer so captured and is moving itself. So even if I get the seized nut off of it it will move when I try to tighten a different bolt. I think I’m going to have to hacksaw the entire bolt and impact strip off and replace that whole part.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2019, 10:57 AM   #21
Newtynewt

Quote:
Well ironhorse. I think I’m out of options. But I’m listening. The captured bolt is no longer so captured and is moving itself. So even if I get the seized nut off of it it will move when I try to tighten a different bolt. I think I’m going to have to hacksaw the entire bolt and impact strip off and replace that whole part.
Posted via Mobile Device
Iron horse As you suggested here are a couple of pics. Do these look correct?
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2019, 01:07 AM   #22
jeffg1010

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
It's looking good. I am anxious to see it out and about.
1986 C30 Crewcab - 63K original miles, original paint

Members I have met: mikey531, gcburdic, bashed, burbman69, TonyPieras, Blazester, GCncsuHD, custombuilt67-72, tsnow678, highrpm, PanelDeland, tanman722001, 47thriftmaster, babyblueoval, 68stepbed, JesseWebb, Andy4639, xs-style, TobyArnot, BigOrange, frednoah, brn_agn, k5hart, Graham57a, bhelton, AJohn6, SilverC10, 69CST, '71 Flame, RaceAGMC, Liz, Josh, MattPSU, 68corvair, Chevy350V8, mdeal, ccrorymc, mrhurt73, dmxxpert, Custom68, 84GMC, BionicABs1, BigBlockBurris, Ebfabman, ATP...
jeffg1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:03 PM   #23
Ironhorse

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry took so long to get you an answer. I see what you mean about the angle to the bumper guards. Not sure why that would be like that without a first hand look see. I took another look at my truck and both guards are straight pointing to the front. That is odd but not sure what to tell you to look for. Would like to see some more pics of your truck tho, looks good from what I do see.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 01-30-2019, 04:53 PM   #24
Newtynewt

Quote:
Sorry took so long to get you an answer. I see what you mean about the angle to the bumper guards. Not sure why that would be like that without a first hand look see. I took another look at my truck and both guards are straight pointing to the front. That is odd but not sure what to tell you to look for. Would like to see some more pics of your truck tho, looks good from what I do see.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2019, 04:53 PM   #25
Newtynewt

There’s one. I seriously need to take some pics. 😬
Posted via Mobile Device