The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2020, 02:01 PM   #1
Scott2.0

Alternator relocation bracket?

I thought this would be easy to find but it’s either not or my Googling skills need help. I want to move my alternator to the drivers side so I can install my Vintage Air kit on the passenger side. I just need the alternator brackets to do so. I can’t seem to find the right one for my small block with long water pump. Any help would be much appreciated!
Scott2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:16 PM   #2
GoingDown8

Re: Alternator relocation bracket?

Summit has alot of options depending on what you need. The brackets you use will depend on the location, such as drivers side or passenger. As well as height, like drivers side low mount, high mount etc. There are so many options it can get little confusing. But mounting location also depends on other equipment like power steering pump or a/c. I just went through moving my alternator to the passenger side.
Posted via Mobile Device
GoingDown8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:49 PM   #3
The Rocknrod

Alan Grove Brackets. Small Block Long Pump - http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/S..._Long_Pump.htm
I believe I purchased the 133R - A.C., 232L - Alt. and the 600L Power Steering brackets. All for Short water pumps however.

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 10-17-2020 at 02:55 PM.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:24 PM   #4
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

If you want stock, check with this guy:
https://www.aspenautoaz.com/

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:37 PM   #5
cwcarpenter98

Running the long water pump that you have might cause some issues in finding a bracket. I don't believe GM made a driver's side long water pump alternator bracket, but I could be wrong as the only experience with a long water pump that I have was removing one from the engine I bought to swap out with a short pump

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:48 PM   #6
AcampoDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Running the long water pump that you have might cause some issues in finding a bracket. I don't believe GM made a driver's side long water pump alternator bracket, but I could be wrong as the only experience with a long water pump that I have was removing one from the engine I bought to swap out with a short pump
Yep, now is the time to return it back to being a short pump motor as the A/C will require you to change pulleys anyway so as to add more grooves for the new belt.. (Long pump pulleys and short pump pulleys are not interchangeable.) The factory pivot for the alternator was on the front of the exhaust manifold with a slot bracket above and a support bracket below.
Attached Images

AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:13 PM   #7
AcampoDave

This truck has the short pump, with A/C and power steering. I couldn't find a steel triple groove crank pulley but I did find an aluminum one on ebay. (The middle groove drives the A/C. )
The double groove water pump pulley was easy. They had a Mr. Gasket steel one at my local O'rieley's but I bought a genuine GM online instead. Notice on this motor my alternator top slotted bracket is a generic chrome one (bent to fit). It attaches to the water pump instead of the intake manifold like the stock truck I posted above. This was because the tall valve covers impeded the arc of the alternator and I needed a bit more reach. The alternator fan is very close to rubbing it, but it just clears. Another thing I found is that the double groove pump pulleys have a smaller diameter than the single groove so the fan spins faster. It made mine really roar with a heavy duty fan clutch so I went to a standard one to slow it down a bit. I have not seen that it affected the operating temp of the motor or the A/C efficiency at all, but the roar is less.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2020, 07:17 PM   #8
AcampoDave

This last pic shows the lower support bracet for the alternator and how it mounts to the exhaust manifold pivot boss with a long bolt.
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2020, 09:52 AM   #9
LT1 Burb

I have spent many hours and lots of cash on pulleys and brackets on both my car and truck. I forgot how much of a PIA it is to run headers with short water pump and og heads. I ended up using Alan Groves brackets on my car and they fit great. I think you have way more options with long water pump and I would stick with that, your options with short pump with headers are really just Alan Groves brackets.
Attached Images

LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:25 PM   #10
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

All trucks '55-'72 came with a short water pump and the alternator on the drivers side. In 1973 GM went to the long water pump and moved the alternator to the passenger side. There was never a long water pump used with the alternator on the drivers side using factory brackets. I'm not sure if Alan Grove makes a bracket for the alternator on the drivers side with a long water pump.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:39 PM   #11
Scott2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
All trucks '55-'72 came with a short water pump and the alternator on the drivers side. In 1973 GM went to the long water pump and moved the alternator to the passenger side. There was never a long water pump used with the alternator on the drivers side using factory brackets. I'm not sure if Alan Grove makes a bracket for the alternator on the drivers side with a long water pump.
That’s great info, thank you! I have a ‘61 but a later ZZ4 (actual year unknown). Makes sense why it’s been such a tough thing to find. I figured I’d move the alternator so I can put the Vintage AC on the passenger side to keep the hoses shorter but may be rethinking that.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:00 AM   #12
Scott2.0

I think I finally found it. Pricier than I had hoped though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Block...C/383092328540
Old 10-20-2020, 11:44 AM   #13
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2.0 View Post
I think I finally found it. Pricier than I had hoped though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Block...C/383092328540
It was in the link I sent you a few days ago.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote