The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2018, 10:50 PM   #26
papas71

Re: 4L60e overhaul

no need for shift kit turn pressure control solenoid up half a turn
papas71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:33 PM   #27
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by papas71 View Post
no need for shift kit turn pressure control solenoid up half a turn
This is similar to people who put a can of trans rebuilder in their transmission when it starts to slip. I always wondered why there were Transmission shops that fixed transmissions, if the can of trans builder worked, no need for transmission shops ?
So than I guess TransGo will be put out of business, if all a person has to do is turn the screw in 1/2 turn on the pressure switch......how do you fix that P01870 code ? this forum makes me laugh, Thanks a lot, keep it coming !!!!

I wrote this on the bathroom wall in one of my transmission shops.... 1/2 turn rebuild....
YoungPup1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:19 AM   #28
TexasT

I didn't like how the reverse drum seal went in but was in a hurry when I did it. So I pulled it back apart to check it for a cut or rolled seal. Didn't find anything wrong so I put it back together and stacked in the clutches and steels. I'm cheap so I just put some sand paper to the steels and gave them a cross hatch pattern and squirted em off with brake cleaner and some air. They were flat and dint have burn spots so I'm sure they'll be fine.
Then we moved on to the pump. Pulled it apart including the boost valve and torque converter valve.

I put in a sonnax purple slide spring with the stock inner spring in too. Swapped in some new rings. Inspected the slide, rotor, and vanes, cleaned it and inspected the pocket and reinstalled the pieces. Going back with a .500 boost valve with the orings on it and a spring that came in the sonnax lb1 kit. It is starting to take shape.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:00 AM   #29
Chevyrestorerman
Account Suspended

[QUOTE=TexasT;8398481]
I didn't like how the reverse drum seal went in but was in a hurry when I did it. So I pulled it back apart to check it for a cut or rolled seal. Didn't find anything wrong so I put it back together and stacked in the clutches and steels. I'm cheap so I just put some sand paper to the steels and gave them a cross hatch pattern and squirted em off with brake cleaner and some air. They were flat and dint have burn spots so I'm sure they'll be fine.
=======================================================================
The reverse input drum piston fits nice and tight with the lip seals as it gets installed. Again, the lip wizard will cut these seals if you are in a hurry. This build has been going on for how long now, no sense in hurrying when it comes to installing these seals.

Did you drill out the two orifices in the reverse input piston and install the two upgraded orifices into the piston ? This is part of the transgo shift kit for your 4L60E.
Chevyrestorerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #30
TexasT

What do the revised orifices do? I didn't get a shift kit, just the upgraded boost valve and springs. If it does something worth while I'd consider getting and doing this.

I did fool with the pump the other night.
Put the larger boost valve and spring in. this valve has the orings. It is a ten vane pump. And put a washer in the over pressure valve.

I called the guy who does my converters. Got a quote to cut, clean and upgrade to a good bearing, good clutch and braze the fins. Said he could have it done in a few days after I drop it off.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2018, 05:14 PM   #31
Chevyrestorerman
Account Suspended

I suggested a shift kit in a previous post and you replied with

"We are going to for go the transgo kit due to budgetary constraints."

Not real sure exactly what that meant with that sentence but why not put a Transgo shift kit in it while you have it tore down. 50 bucks..... Buy the shift kit and it will give you your answer to your question.

The boost valve is great but again, not the total answer to this transmission.

Like YoungPup mentioned, P01870 code ?

Why not do it right the first time, and turning the pressure switch screw is not the answer either but I understand most people do things cheap and wonder why after the fact why they have issues I get it, but no one can beat experience and knowledge. Its up to you if you want to listen.

Its like these posts on this forum on why the crank will not turn after installing the crank, how in the world did the person get to this point in the first place, do all the prechecks prior to installation you would never have the issue, no difference in the shift kit. But again, got to like these forums.

I have to add, the 1/2 turn rebuild is now on my bathroom wall too thats a classic.
Here I sit, trying to make it shift but only fa*ted. LOL!!!!!

Last edited by Chevyrestorerman; 12-09-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #32
TexasT

Fifty bux is fifty bux and I just wanted a reason to drop general grant in an item that wasn't in a stock trans that went 225k miles. I'm not going to spend fifty to find out. I am of the view that if you get the pressures up and control those pressures with new seals and gaskets it should go well.

The po1870 code seems to need a reemer and larger valve to get that spool in the vb back into tolerance. I didn't have that code so I'm not going to address it. If it ain't broke I'm not going to fix it.

Needless to say I'm cheap. I am not afraid to spend the coin, but I do need a reason. I talked to the guy who does our torque converters. He got me a price on rebuilding ours with a good bearing, good clutch and brazing the fins. Not the $68 reman that the local trans part house sells but not that cheap either.

Last edited by TexasT; 12-09-2018 at 06:54 PM.
TexasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:31 PM   #33
Chevyrestorerman
Account Suspended

The Transgo shift kit comes with a new Converter regulator/isolator valve which works in a worn VB. GM and SRTA rebuilt VB's come with oversized valves which Transgo does provide a part number for a replacement valve in this case. The new valve that comes in the shift kit replaces all original equipment .441 diameter isolator and converter valves. No reamer is required when installing the Transgo isolator/converter regulator valves into the VB.

What type of Lockup plate does your TC Man install in your TC's ? The Transgo Converter regulator/isolator valves work with all lockup plates.

So when you install YOUR rebuilt transmission back into the vehicle and when the TC locks up and it has a bit of a shudder you can tell your TC man that his TC is bad. Right ?

Looks like you are installing a corvette servo, do you think this servo needs to match the accumulator in the VB. This accumulator is located in the VB next to the Pressure control switch, this accumulator housing bushing will have a code on the end of the housing (example: D,DX,R). This code will allow you to install the required spring/ OZ tension for the 2nd servo of choice.

Would you change your engine oil without changing the filter, I will not "rebuild" a 4L60E transmission without a transgo shift kit even in a vehicle with 225K miles. If it aint broke, than why did you pull the transmission out of the vehicle ? REDO or REBUILD, you make the choice.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:02 AM   #34
TexasT

Good stuff. I do have white spring to go in the accumulator for the corvette servo. This isn't the pwm unit. It is a 94 so it is either on or off so I doubt it will "shudder". I'm not sure on the clutch apply plate for the converter but I've been dealing with this place/person for over twenty five yrs and my dad longer than that. I trust he will take care and use what works.

I'm not to.the vb yet and will address the loose valve if it presents itself.
As far as pulling it, It was pulled in the early 2000s and replaced with a wrecking yard unit with 105k miles and decent pink fluid. This trans went another 50k or so and quit shifting. Probably a solenoid but with a "core" to build the activity was on.

You saw the clutches. They looked the part of high mile pieces. Obviously they were slipping. Hence the larger servo and higher pressure to try to get that under control. It wont be a hot rod and Won't be making passes at the strip. Just has to carry itself and a trailer some days and I'm confident it will.
I'll check the eBay for a kit and see what it entails. Just seems like a band aid and a fifty dollar one at that.
I'm just a back yard DIY guy who does my own work for fun(and I just don't want to spend the money to have someone else do it). If I had to make good on a warranty for the knot heads out beating on stuff in sure I would see things more like you do.
What happened to the young pup fellow? No constructive criticism? I can take it. I'm of the view that these forums are to help others and I'm glad Mr cheveyretoreman is providing that. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Last edited by TexasT; 12-10-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:35 AM   #35
Chevyrestorerman
Account Suspended

"What happened to the young pup fellow? No constructive criticism? I can take it. I'm of the view that these forums are to help others and I'm glad Mr cheveyretoreman is providing that. Thanks for taking the time to post."

Most likely YoungPup saw that you were from Texas, so he don't mess with Texas. Texas does it their way.

I think you got this all covered, sounds like you really do not need any more help.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #36
TexasT

I'm just posting up what I am doing. I have no.problem taking in any and all suggestions and am certainly glad you have posted. Will I use them all? You posted it yourself in a hard headed individual from Texas. Yall ran the last one off and he did have mad skills and knowledge.

Either way thanks again for the input I will certainly think them over. I post o plenty of forums and have been called names but I don't let that hold me back. I just want the why when I spend my hard earned money.

Am I wrong when I suggest that without the pwm for the converter clutch it is either on or off? This seems pretty similar to the setup in the 2004r and the 700r4. If you provide decent pressure and don't try to lock it up at full throttle it should engage. And if it engages stay engaged until told to release by adding throttle angle or a vacuum drop. Am I way off? I like to know what things do. I can be over the top, I get that. It isn't personal.

Again thank you very much for the suggestions. Obviously they work for you. I just want to understand the magic in there that makes it so.

As far as the guy with the "tight" crank, kudos to him for getting out and doing. Checkbook hotrodders might fund a lot of business but i don't respect a guy who doesn't wrench on his stuff. Doesn't mean i don't like them or wont help them, just don't respect them. To me hot rodding ia about putting it together and making it work, no matter how many times or late nights and weekends it takes. And with YouTube, one can learn just about anything. We all started somewhere. And if everyone knew everything nothing would ever go wrong. I try to be a lifelong learner and hope to help others along the way.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:52 PM   #37
Chevyrestorerman
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
I'm just posting up what I am doing. I have no.problem taking in any and all suggestions and am certainly glad you have posted. Will I use them all? You posted it yourself in a hard headed individual from Texas. Yall ran the last one off and he did have mad skills and knowledge.

Either way thanks again for the input I will certainly think them over. I post o plenty of forums and have been called names but I don't let that hold me back. I just want the why when I spend my hard earned money.

Am I wrong when I suggest that without the pwm for the converter clutch it is either on or off? This seems pretty similar to the setup in the 2004r and the 700r4. If you provide decent pressure and don't try to lock it up at full throttle it should engage. And if it engages stay engaged until told to release by adding throttle angle or a vacuum drop. Am I way off? I like to know what things do. I can be over the top, I get that. It isn't personal.

Again thank you very much for the suggestions. Obviously they work for you. I just want to understand the magic in there that makes it so.

As far as the guy with the "tight" crank, kudos to him for getting out and doing. Checkbook hotrodders might fund a lot of business but i don't respect a guy who doesn't wrench on his stuff. Doesn't mean i don't like them or wont help them, just don't respect them. To me hot rodding ia about putting it together and making it work, no matter how many times or late nights and weekends it takes. And with YouTube, one can learn just about anything. We all started somewhere. And if everyone knew everything nothing would ever go wrong. I try to be a lifelong learner and hope to help others along the way.
WOW dude, not sure exactly what you are saying about running people off. I just indicated you got it covered and you do not need me to tell ya how to do your DIY job. thats it.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:37 PM   #38
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
Fifty bux is fifty bux and I just wanted a reason to drop general grant in an item that wasn't in a stock trans that went 225k miles. I'm not going to spend fifty to find out. I am of the view:

"that if you get the pressures up and control those pressures with new seals and gaskets it should go well. "

The po1870 code seems to need a reemer and larger valve to get that spool in the vb back into tolerance. I didn't have that code so I'm not going to address it. If it ain't broke I'm not going to fix it.

Needless to say I'm cheap. I am not afraid to spend the coin, but I do need a reason. I talked to the guy who does our torque converters. He got me a price on rebuilding ours with a good bearing, good clutch and brazing the fins. Not the $68 reman that the local trans part house sells but not that cheap either.
"Get the pressures up and control those pressures with new seals and gaskets. FU

Last edited by YoungPup1977; 12-17-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:56 PM   #39
TexasT

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungPup1977 View Post
"Get the pressures up and control those pressures with new seals and gaskets it should work well."
I BE DANG, All these years I was wrong, never knew the New seals and gaskets Controlled those pressures. Very interesting. Now got me going to youtube to make sure of this new technology break thru. Let me call my buddy over at Transgo and tell him the News. They goin outta biz, aint worth no fifty bux fify bux is fifty bux. now run me off too
I bet you are the life of the party. No input, no tech, just insults and such. Good thing you have your knowledge. Better than nothin'.

I am out wrenchin, having a good time, you on the other hand seem to have a poor attitude and no desire to share what you think you know. Why do you come you a site like this? Just to waste your time? It makes you feel better about yourself to insult others? You my friend, and I use the term friend loosely, are a sad individual.

And fifty bux is still fifty bux. The transgo folks and apparently you are in the businesses to make money. I get that. Guys like me don't support you. We do it on the cheap and save a little coin. You are butthurt. I get that. Tell you what, go back to whatever rock it is you crawled out from under and Ill not summon you to my thread again. It is painfully obvious you aren't interesting in helping anyone else.

I ask a simple question. What does it do? Neither of you have elaborated. Yall posted of a po1870 code. I didn't have that code and doubt it will because it isn't a pwm trans so the valve isn't constantly being shuttled through its bore. Neither of you went into that or denied my theory other than, this is the way we do it and any other way is wrong. I did do some homework on this trans. I did do some youtube vid watching. Didn't see anything on there that you produced to substantiate your position. Just you on here trying to big time me throwing out that you have a buddy at transgo.

When you have something to add, post it. Other wise I ask again, why do you waste your time here?

Last edited by TexasT; 12-12-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:19 AM   #40
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

C f s

Last edited by YoungPup1977; 12-17-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #41
TexasT

My feed back is I like to do things and learn. Neither of you have explained why I need a "shift kit" other than I just do. I asked to explain why one would drill on the rev drum and install the different size offices. What does this help? Why are we changing the size? Does it increase the pressure of the rev piston? Are you increasing the clamping force? Give me a reason or I'm just thinking you don't known or just don't want to tell.

Physics tells us that increasing the pressure will apply the clutches quicker and with more force. That is why that fellow suggested upping the pressure switch with half a turn. I know that by putting a stiffer spring in the pump slide the pump will stay in a position to deliver more volume at a higher rpm. Volume and pressure are related. The larger boost valve also gives the pump the ability to provide larger pressure. I'm sure it is in the kit. If the trans has worn seals that can't make use of the pressure increase we aren't getting anywhere either. So yes an overhaul with new is in order, not just putting in a kit.

This gets us to the clearances. And why new bushings and shaft seals are also needed to control those pressures. Also have to set those shifting clutches and band up to apply and release at the right time to get the shift feel the user wants.

I don't need my stupid fixed. I know how to read, and learn. You just seem to want to spend on things you perceive you need. If you build ten of these units a month and spend that extra $50 on each one math sez that is $500. If you could accomplish the same thing for $30 or $20 you could be netting and extra $2-300 in those months. Or you could be doing more of them by lowering the price you charge, though that is going backwards unless you have a crew doing the actual labor.

Either way it is a hobby for me. Next up is a 4l80e for our other suburban. And a water pump on or k2500 pickup in there too. Then there is the gravely garden tractor I am goofing with. And the front end (bushings n ball joints) of the suburban this 4l60e is going in. I like to wrench and don't do it on a schedule because it is a hobby.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:30 AM   #42
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

You know your stuff when it comes to transmissions. I didn’t know wings are what makes it hold pressure. Wings are very very important

Last edited by YoungPup1977; 12-17-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #43
TexasT

Glad to share. Math is a great thing because it balances out al the way up the ladder to calculus.

Speaking of hobbies, you should look into one as you seem pretty high strung. Really not good for your health. A good diet and exercise would probably help you too.

But hey, either way I hope you are well and get a kick out of looking down on us "little" people from your ivory tower.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:22 PM   #44
TexasT

So we are back at it. Even though not approved by all, hahaha. We had a difficulty with one of the rings and it didn't look like id want it to, so we pulled it and tried again. Unfortunately that didn't work out either. But that is no problem for a steeper like myself. I bought a whole bag of rings and when I couldn't find those I bought six more. Then I found those first ones. I'm not all that organized. It's a hobby, what can I say. So I boiled some water and heated the third try out. Got it on and have it clamped down. Yes, controlling the fluid and pressure is important. Those wings do a lot of it so we will "get it" right.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:20 PM   #45
TexasT

Been cold here so I haven't done much. Have been doing some more research and came across this thread. https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...turbo-car.html in particular post #6 put up by one of the 4l60e guru types. Lists how he would set up a bunch of different things. Lots of good info in the thread.

Post #6

To get this to hold up for high horsepower. Use Torlon checkballs. If you are using a new separator plate you will have to make a new seat for the Torlon checkballs (this is easy to do) as the Torlon checkballs take forever to create a perfect seat. Block the 3-2 control valve inboard, then when using the Sonnax 2nd apply servo you can drill out the 2-3 shift feed hole to .155" and the band release hole to .104". When using the Corvette servo, again block the 3-2 control valve inboard, then you can drill the 2-3 shift feed hole to .135" - .140" and the band release to .099" - .101". The Carbonite extra wide 2-4 band with a new oem drum is a good idea as suggested. Run the minimum band clearance. Set the 3-4 clutches at .025" minimum and .040" maximum. 10 vane rotor with the 13 vane slide. Install the slide/rotor at .002" minimum and .003" maximum clearance to pump body. Use the TransGo steel rings and "single" hi-rpm slide spring to keep the pressure up (flat) to apx. 8,000 rpm. I sometimes use the 7 vane setup with the 13 vane slide on motors going over 7,200 rpm for a faster pressure recovery. Install the reverse abuse plug or plug and valve assembly from Sonnax as suggested. Leave the reverse/input piston alone "no restrictor" in the aluminum piston. I have never had a checkball capsule in the input drum present a problem when using the correct hole sizes in the separator plate. If you want, block the checkball capsule completely and add a .035" hole at the bottom on the input drum just below the outside seal area on the 3-4 apply piston. This will stop any centrifuge from trying to apply the 3-4 clutches at hi-rpm in 1st & 2nd gears. Use the TransGo 7-CS clutch spring kit here, as this helps keep the 3-4 clutches off at hi-rpm in 1st & 2nd gears also, and makes for a cleaner and faster 3-2 downshift. Add the "white" actuator spring to the actuator valve from the TransGo Shift kit. This raises line pressure apx. 5-7 pounds. I prefer the TransGo .500" boost valve, however the Sonnax .490" boost valve with or without O-rings work ok too. When all is said and done, install a 0-300 psi. pressure gauge and see what the readings are at WOT at 4,000 rpm and higher. The pressure should be 235 - 245 psi. If lower you will need to address the EPC solenoid to get the correct pressure needed here. If higher, remove the white actuator spring if installed or you will need to address the EPC solenoid to correct this. This rarely happens too much pressure. Lower pressures are common and will hurt the 3-4 clutches before it will hurt the 2-4 band, and higher pressures can possibly cause parts breakage. If you have a very good 60 foot time, put the pressure gauge on it and make sure that it is not picking up air. This will be seen most on the 2-3 shift and the pressure gauge needle will fluctuate wildly. I use a Borg Warner Hi-Energy 10 clutch setup in the 3-4 setup with the stock input drum and an 11 clutch setup in the Sonnax input drum. There is more, however this should help a lot here.

Also came across this
http://4l79.com/?page_id=161
Pretty nifty setup to get way more clutch and steel surface area in the 3-4 clutch.

Last edited by TexasT; 02-14-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:05 PM   #46
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Is this the same thread that you didn’t think a shift kit for 50 bucks (50 bucks is 50 bucks) would not be worth spending but copy info from LS1tech to highlight hi RPM 4l60e upgrades used by gurus. A Googler who copy’s and paste. There was another guy that did a lot of that too. He was from Texas too. I forget his name
Old 02-14-2019, 06:54 PM   #47
TexasT

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungPup1977 View Post
Is this the same thread that you didn’t think a shift kit for 50 bucks (50 bucks is 50 bucks) would not be worth spending but copy info from LS1tech to highlight hi RPM 4l60e upgrades used by gurus. A Googler who copy’s and paste. There was another guy that did a lot of that too. He was from Texas too. I forget his name
Just doing some study on how things work and posting up info I found informative. Still not sure why you show up. You obviously hold all the knowledge, but by your post can't remember much of it. Or if you do aren't willing to share the actual tech.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #48
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Hey texastea, oh Jed knew a lot about transmissions just like you do but he had bushing drivers he bought with his hard earned money. Then he moved to beverlyhills to have a cement pond. Than he had enough money to take his transmission work to someone who knew what they were doing instead of boiling water on the kitchen stove thinking he could get the sealing rings on the input shaft. Btw, it’s a real joy to read your posts and see how others get by in this world. Must be real boring in Texas. Have fun getting your 250k mile rebuild back on the road before it gets to be 100 degrees. Thanks for taking the time and putting this together. Maybe you will get some bushing drivers for Christmas this year.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #49
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

With the new bushings you installed make sure you have good engine to body ground straps. It will prevent the starter motor from burning your new transmission bushings.