The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2018, 09:37 PM   #1
GFY

Buying a 53 S/S "barn find"

Hi all. I sold my 55.2 S/S 4x4 a couple years back, and now I'm back in the game! A friend of a friend's dad passed away, and had a couple of their cars for sale. I bought the 53 short/step and a 63 Nova. The truck was in a barn, and tough to get a look at, but I could tell it had good bones, and he'd done a lot to it. 350 with T350, power brakes (and line lock!?!), power bucket seats, tilt, 9" rear end, tubbed, body and floor really nice (no rust, paint looks pretty good). Oh yeah... and a lift/dump style bed that works on air!
I'm having it towed (hasn't run in almost 2 years) to a friends shop soon to get it running and driving. I'll decide what I'm doing from there.
Not sure why 3 of the pics rotated... they're not that way on my computer! Rotated them on my computer and downloaded them again, and they're still sideways...
Attached Images

Last edited by GFY; 12-07-2018 at 02:10 AM.
GFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:30 PM   #2
Advanced Design

Re: Buying a 53 S/S "barn find"

The truck was a nice find! Looks good.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:31 PM   #3
flashed

Im in to see more .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:42 PM   #4
joedoh

thats a really clean truck, although the bed looks extra S/S (super short)

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:28 AM   #5
mr48chev

Good looking truck. I've found that you have to go into "edit" and then hit crop/rotate to be able to have the rotating the photo stick but will have to see what happens here to know if the photos let me do it.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:33 AM   #6
mr48chev

There is a whole lot of late 80's early 90's going on in that truck and it looks like it was pretty well done when it was done.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:58 AM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Yep...that's a s/s/s....seriously short step...nice find...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:11 AM   #8
GFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
There is a whole lot of late 80's early 90's going on in that truck and it looks like it was pretty well done when it was done.
You're not lying there!
Old 12-07-2018, 07:37 AM   #9
1project2many

Nice find. Definitely an '80s vibe going on. But it's in good condition and I wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen in public with it. I might consider an EFI retrofit though just because.

I do get a kick out of the "Easy reader" speedometer. Are the other gauges the same way?
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:48 PM   #10
GFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
Nice find. Definitely an '80s vibe going on. But it's in good condition and I wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen in public with it. I might consider an EFI retrofit though just because.

I do get a kick out of the "Easy reader" speedometer. Are the other gauges the same way?
I'm not sure about the other gauges! I'll post more pics as I get into it. Deciding what I'm going to do with it will come after I get it running and driving. I may flip it and work on the Nova (which needs more). All I need is time, money, and more parking spaces!
Old 12-07-2018, 12:50 PM   #11
GFY

Quote:
Good looking truck. I've found that you have to go into "edit" and then hit crop/rotate to be able to have the rotating the photo stick but will have to see what happens here to know if the photos let me do it.
Thank you!
Still challenged to do this for my post.... I tried what you mention above and it didn't work for me. Possible "short bus" issues.....
Old 12-07-2018, 08:23 PM   #12
lv2tri2

Are the rear fenders widened? Might want to add air in San Jose.
lv2tri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:08 PM   #13
GFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2tri2 View Post
Are the rear fenders widened? Might want to add air in San Jose.
They are.... and they're fiberglass! Nicely done fiberglass. The front fenders are widened and 'glass too. It's about done with fixing the issues it had (leaky rear axle seals, brakes, tune up, etc). Time to sell it I think (after I replace the bed wood).
Old 12-13-2018, 10:23 PM   #14
mr48chev

Superior glass works in Oregon probably made the rear fenders. they make some pretty nice looking wide fiberglass fenders for AD trucks. http://www.superiorglassworks.com/

The best part of that truck outside of the necessary going over the brakes and safety items and a good tune up and fluid change is it doesn't "have" to have any big changes. Some little changes might do well such as a gauge swap and a seat swap to something that fits the truck better (never was a fan of high backs in older rigs) but nothing has to be changed and that is a plus.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:43 PM   #15
joedoh

Quote:
Superior glass works in Oregon probably made the rear fenders. they make some pretty nice looking wide fiberglass fenders for AD trucks. http://www.superiorglassworks.com/

superior had a fire in their fiberglass facility and its never coming back. I know this because I had some 39 steel rear fenders for sale and when I would give the price guys would say "puh! you can buy fiberglass ones for half that". well not any more.

Quote:
Superior Glass Works Closing Our Doors

On January 28, 2017, a fire swept through the Superior Glass Works fiberglass manufacturing facility. Fortunately no one was injured, but the building and all 500 molds used to produce replica and custom fiberglass street rod parts, street rod bodies, and race car bodies were destroyed. Given the 40 years it took to create these molds, and the difficulty in obtaining new originals to make new molds, Superior Glass Works cannot recover from this loss and has closed its operations permanently. This is a loss for the street rod community who relied on the availability of our products as well a personal loss for the owners and employees. We would like to thank our customers who have supported us through the years and used our products to get their dreams on the road.

Our chassis shop, although undamaged, will also be closing and the fixtures and equipment are currently for sale. Please contact me if you are interested.

Brad Peterson, Owner
Superior Glass Works

they were the contract supplier to everyone who sold fiberglass fenders too, so chevsofthe40s, jim carter, and everyone else got porked by this.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:15 AM   #16
GFY

Quote:

The best part of that truck outside of the necessary going over the brakes and safety items and a good tune up and fluid change is it doesn't "have" to have any big changes. Some little changes might do well such as a gauge swap and a seat swap to something that fits the truck better (never was a fan of high backs in older rigs) but nothing has to be changed and that is a plus.
I'll look into Superior to see if that's the likely manufacturer. I'm still trying to get more info on this truck since the previous owner passed away. I know he bought it from his uncle many years ago. It would be great to get more info on it.
Agreed 100% on the seat swap. I had a nice "stock" seat in my 55.2 with a fold-down cup holder/center console that was awesome. If I were keeping it, I would change out the seat. And probably put in a compressor to power the lift/dump bed.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:17 AM   #17
GFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
superior had a fire in their fiberglass facility and its never coming back. I know this because I had some 39 steel rear fenders for sale and when I would give the price guys would say "puh! you can buy fiberglass ones for half that". well not any more.

they were the contract supplier to everyone who sold fiberglass fenders too, so chevsofthe40s, jim carter, and everyone else got porked by this.
Wow! Great info! Thank you!
Old 12-14-2018, 02:19 AM   #18
GFY

Quote:
If you saw the louvered hood, you'd know you're even more right than you thought you were!