The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2005, 02:39 PM   #1
Trifelynn

SB --> BB help

Hey guys, I know there has been some guys that have put a BB in their blazer. I might of happened across a 396...and was wondering if it is worth the trouble(as far as installing the motor) to get?

If someone could tell me what is involved in this change, it would be great...
thanks
Old 03-30-2005, 02:57 PM   #2
Bluegoose972

I installed a 454 in my blazer. It seems like every installation is a little different on what works and what doesn't. You may want to search for the following users:

Bluegoose972
Orangeuavol

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones that jump out at me right now.

For mine, I used the small block mounts and shifted the cross member forward by 2" to gain clearance at the firewall. Some people use a hammer to knock in the firewall enough to clear the distributor and others have used body lifts.

My biggest problem was with the headers. I was never able to find a set of headers that would clear the frame and the small block crossmember. I'm planning on using stock exhaust manifolds. After thinking about it, that is probably the best anyways. I'll loose a little top end flow, but I'll not have the maintenance or heat issues that are typically associated with headers.

Good luck...Would love to see pictures

Goose
Bluegoose972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:01 PM   #3
meathead95
computer illiterate

if you decide to get it i have a set of nos frame towers if you need them
Old 03-30-2005, 04:12 PM   #4
Trifelynn

This may sound stupid...but what are those for?
Old 03-30-2005, 05:56 PM   #5
AK|Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifelynn
This may sound stupid...but what are those for?
Not stupid...he's referring to motor mounts...
Old 03-30-2005, 11:25 PM   #6
Trifelynn

ahhh...thanks

I have never heard them called that <shrug>

learned something new today...

thanks
Old 03-30-2005, 11:56 PM   #7
71swb4x4

One thing you need to keep in mind is that some of those people may have body lifts which would help them. Since you have a 2wd things may be a bit different, but you also don't have the front differential to deal with as far as oil pan clearance goes.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:15 AM   #8
junksaver

Hey I'm new to the board and this is my first post. I also have a 71 2wd blazer that I'm putting in a 454. It was originally a 6 cyl. I switched over to small block frame mounts at first, but I thought the motor sat to low and to far foward. I have now put in some mid 70's frame mount and think the motor sits in there a lot better. My project is still a very long ways from completion, but I could send you some pics if you need them. From all the reading I've done as well as all the pics I've searched, these motors seem to sit differently in different trucks, especially 2wd and 4wd.
junksaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:18 AM   #9
71swb4x4

Welcome to the board - you should start anbother thread and tell us about yourself, and you truck
Where are you from?
Old 03-31-2005, 12:22 AM   #10
junksaver

Thanks I'll do that.
72 2wd 3/4 Ton Project or Parts?
73 4wd Blazer
junksaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:44 AM   #11
AK|Bandit

I'll be swapping in a 396 also, but my K5 is a 4x4. I'm using the SBC mounts as they will work with the BBC. I have an automatic tranny but I remember reading about manual transmission equipped trucks having clearance issues with the manual linkage. Dont quote me on that though
Old 03-31-2005, 11:18 AM   #12
MAC67
&quot; SHOW ME&quot;

i put the 468 into the blazer , but i had a 3 inch body lift , used the small block mounts ect and left the crossmembers where they were , just had to dimple the fire wall slightly for a set of tall moroso's to clear , if you contact yukon jack he put a bb into his pickup and cut the fire wall and built some pocket type panels to sit in , looks very clean and neat , the dimples i had to put in are barely half the size of a golf ball , for headers i had to use a set of 73 up 454 bb headers that i had layin around pass side went on fine but i had to heat certain areas on the driver side header to get it to fit correctly took maybe 15 minutes
MAC67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:48 PM   #13
AK|Bandit

Yep, I'm still on my fruitless search for the "miracle" headers that will just slide into place with no modification needed
I also have a 3in body lift which I'm hoping will aid in the ease of fittment. The 396 I'm putting in has a massive 10 quart oil pan so I'm looking for a new low profile 5 or 6 quart one to replace it so I dont have any crossmember issues.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:33 PM   #14
Gyva

If you don't want to move your crossmember up a points dist. will work and if you have a HEI a 5 pound mini sledge will persuade the fire wall to allow it to fit, if your not worried about little dent in your firewall (Mine came with a 396 and this is what the previous owner did to make it fit) it had regular 3 bolt motor mounts that worked fine... I've had regular stock manifolds and headman headers that fit as well on that 396.... but like someone said above maybe every truck is a little different? maybe my crossmember was already moved when I got the truck??? I'll have to look now that I'm thinking about it....
Gyva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 09:55 PM   #15
Kleantouch

Just got around to reading this thread- 71 K5 auto, no lift, I swapped my 350 for a 454- used sbc motor mounts, moved my engine/trans 1" forward so I wouldn't have to modify the firewall- sbc motor mounts are bolted to the crossmember, so make sure your oil pan will clear- didn't want to hit the firewall as it was already painted- Bought a set of Hooker Super Competiton metallic coated from Summit, slid right in, no adjustment, rubbing, I was surprised!- in fact I was out running around in it today with the top off- 6mpg, but what a feeling-Good luck with your swap!

Remember- "there's no replacement for displacement!"
Kleantouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 02:11 AM   #16
nathan_454

I have a 468 in my 71 4x4 K5, i dont have any body lift. i used small block mounts, im running the big hei distributor and it fit ok. i have a 4 speed and the z-bar (link) had to be re-built a little bit. we had to clearence for the valve cover on the drivers sdie a little bit, I have headers and they fit flawlessly. they are hedman part number 691110 or 69110. i cant remember which. they are for a 1st gen 4x4 k5 with a big block. other then that it was gravy.
nathan_454 is offline   Reply With Quote