The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
CaliLivn

Help with HEI purchase

Im not to mechanically skilled or knowledgable but with the help of google an you guys I'm getting better. Lol I wanna switch out my points system on the stock 350 in my 72. I been eyeing a couple deals online. How good would this HEI work for me? It comes with cap-rotor-coil an ignition module. The seller claims he's cleaned it thoroughly an degreased plus bench tested it for spark. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images

CaliLivn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
Pick

Re: Help with HEI purchase

It looks good enough if the price is right.......

For comparisson, a bargain-basement-priced new one is $39.50 from Skip White......so it is up to you to decide which one is more of a gamble. (used vs. imported) For what it's worth, I have one of their 6-cyl HEI distributors in my truck and it has done just fine....and definitely beats the points distributor it replaced.

Keep in mind that you will need to replace the balast resistor wire that currently runs to your distributor with a new non-resistor wire from the fuse panel to the HEI.

Here's a thread with specifics: (this one is for an inline 6...sorry...I will try to dig up the V-8 FAQ) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=148346

A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play. He simply pursues his vision of excellence through whatever he is doing, and leaves others to determine whether he is working or playing. To himself, he always appears to be doing both. L. P. Jack

Last edited by Pick; 11-02-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Added note about the thread being for an L6.
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
leddzepp

I have used two Skip White dizzies. No issues or complaints here. A lot of people bad mouth them because they are imported. So what? Just about everything is imported these days, and if it works like it is supposed to I have no problem buying it.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
WIDESIDE72

I bought a skip white hei and the module went out in a few hours run time. Never drove truck. Replaced module with used genuine gm and got spark again. I might buy again but will take into consideration that any module with no stamping pn or other identifiers on it (like come in skip white) are junk
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
CaliLivn

Thank you guys for the help an advice. I think I'm gonna try an get this used one for $15 plus $10 shipping Besides wiring it in I know I need new plug wires for the HEI an is there any spark plug an gap recommended?
Old 11-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
john
member #16

usually .045 gap for HEI.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
hugger6933

X2 on the .045 spark plug gap on the HEI. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
bigmac73

how did he bench test it ? and if he did that did he set the advance curve(springs and weights) ask him that but i guess if you can get it for less that 50 bucks it is still a good deal as long as it is not rusted up
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
CaliLivn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac73 View Post
how did he bench test it ? and if he did that did he set the advance curve(springs and weights) ask him that but i guess if you can get it for less that 50 bucks it is still a good deal as long as it is not rusted up
I asked the guy selling it all this an all he said he does is clean, degrease, inspect them an check for spark. He has sold a lot of them an people been happy from what I read.