The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2018, 09:00 AM   #1
Byoung330

73-87 a arms on a 68?

I am just about ready to blast my frame and paint it and then start suspension work. I was wondering if 73-87 upper and lower a-arms would bolt on with no issues. I know the cross members can be swapped but I’m wondering specifically about a arms only. 3 reasons why... I am looking at buying a arms with moog ball joints already installed from rock auto and of course they don’t have 71-72, I want to be able to go to autozone and get parts for the brakes and bolting a new control arm is easier than removing and replacing ball joints! Lol. I am open to other options as well like a decent affordable set of tubular.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:00 PM   #2
AZ 67 C10

Re: 73-87 a arms on a 68?

The ball joints on the 73-87 control arms will be larger than the stock 68 spindles. I believe in 71 the spindles were changed and take the larger ball joints. Affordable is a relative term but i'm pleased with my CPP tubular control arms, and there is probably cheaper stuff out there.
AZ 67 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:23 PM   #3
Byoung330

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ 67 C10 View Post
The ball joints on the 73-87 control arms will be larger than the stock 68 spindles. I believe in 71 the spindles were changed and take the larger ball joints. Affordable is a relative term but i'm pleased with my CPP tubular control arms, and there is probably cheaper stuff out there.
Yeah I knew that. No issue since I am doing a disk conversion anyway. So what benefits would I get by switching to tubular?
Old 12-10-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
rpmerf

Looking at Rock Auto. The only Moog control arms I see are the R series arms. I would steer clear of these. These are the economy line. I would avoid these. Problem Solver is Moog's premium series. I do see AC Delco professional series loaded control arms. I only see uppers on each of these, no lowers. At least that is what Rock Auto has listed, you might get different results looking on the manufacturer's websites.

Really might be worth cleaning up what you have and taking your new ball joints and control arms to a shop to have them mounted.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:29 PM   #5
Byoung330

Oh ok. I see....i didn’t really dig to deep yet. I just wondered if the newer ones would fit. I can do the work no problem to replace the joints, I just know it’s easier to just replace the arm lol. Also, that’s one less part I have to clean and paint.
So if I were to buy a premium set of control arms, will the newer ones bolt right up? I understand I can swap a whole cross member in but I’m wondering specifically about just the arms.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:01 AM   #6
AZ 67 C10

The tubular ones from cpp claim to have non squeak self lubricating bushings that Outlast any polyurethane bushing and add 5* of caster. They are lighter than the beefy oem ones. Mine bolted right up with no issues.
AZ 67 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:22 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byoung330 View Post
Oh ok. I see....i didn’t really dig to deep yet. I just wondered if the newer ones would fit. I can do the work no problem to replace the joints, I just know it’s easier to just replace the arm lol. Also, that’s one less part I have to clean and paint.
So if I were to buy a premium set of control arms, will the newer ones bolt right up? I understand I can swap a whole cross member in but I’m wondering specifically about just the arms.
Yes, 73-87 arms will 'bolt-on' to the earlier x-member. As mentioned by others, you will need the supporting 71 & later disc brake spec'd parts to go along w/them.

Also.... Any 'R' series Moog part is the same quality as store brand stuff (= no better). Just the Problem Solver line is high end now. I've never seen one of these aftermarket stamped steel style a-arms but knowing how other sheet-metal stuff is from overseas, I would be wary.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #8
Byoung330

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Yes, 73-87 arms will 'bolt-on' to the earlier x-member. As mentioned by others, you will need the supporting 71 & later disc brake spec'd parts to go along w/them.

Also.... Any 'R' series Moog part is the same quality as store brand stuff (= no better). Just the Problem Solver line is high end now. I've never seen one of these aftermarket stamped steel style a-arms but knowing how other sheet-metal stuff is from overseas, I would be wary.
Thanks!