The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2019, 06:26 PM   #1
71c10longbed

Cab supports again...

On my 71 I am replacing the front cab support on the passenger side. My floor is still in place. On my drivers side I was able to cut out the rusty part and weld in patches. The passenger side is completely gone. I have removed a portion of it from the rocker back. I can't figure out how to get the rest out that is buy where the cab bushing nut goes through - between the floor and cab frame. I am using an air chisel but it only seems to be making noise. Any ideas?
Attached Images

71c10longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:58 PM   #2
MDPotter

Re: Cab supports again...

You probably already know this, but it is very difficult to perform these repairs with the cab on the truck. If it's a solid running truck and you don't want to pull the cab, you might just have to weld onto what's there or sleeve over it. Or one of those oscillating saws might be able to reach in there and free things.
1978 Chevy Scottsdale K20
1993 Chevy C1500 - 5.3/T56 swapped
2008 Silverado Duramax
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:04 PM   #3
twoskies

Re: Cab supports again...

Hey , good job so far, did mine last year, i know i had to air chisel mine out
(used a cheap harbor freight and a squirt can of oil, keeps it cutting easier), including the metal sleeve, my cab support bushings came with new metal sleeves, kinda a pain to install but i made it work, on the driver side, i spliced also, the passenger side was too far gone like yours, i did mine without removing the cab, does make more work , but it will work,also make sure you coat anything you,re going to and let it dry before more welding, lol, little harder after its done, sorry, looked for pictures but could'nt find any