The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2018, 08:43 AM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Battery powered sawzall

I have a Milwaukee brand corded sawzall. Had it for many years and love it. I could really use a battery powered one. I want a high quality, long lasting, powerful tool. Probably get at least two batteries so it's always ready.

Not looking to match it up with other battery powered tools, just want a stand alone tool that's as good as my Super Sawzall. Appreciate your recommendations
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:45 AM   #2
beadblaster

Re: Battery powered sawzall

Get the miwaukee fuel 18v sawzall. Awesome tool. The batteries can also be used on a ton of othe milwaukee tools. They are the best cordless tools out there.
beadblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:08 AM   #3
Mike C

All of the big name brands make great battery powered tools anymore. But batteries are an issue over time... Whatever brand you go with make sure that all of your tools can use the same battery.

At leas that is my feeling. I am married to DeWalt since I have probably 20 different tools from them and need battery compatibility. Now that they have an adapter that lets you run the 18v tools off the 20v battery, even better!
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:12 AM   #4
Jrainman

I have used many types of cordless tools in general over the years including sawzalls made by milwaukee , Makita ,dewalt , are all very good but my top choice in cordless tools are Hilti they are by far top of the line in profesional tools , the super sawzall you have is a grade up from the regular milwaukee sawzall when it comes to plug in power if I remember also it has a dial type switch that adds a chopping movement to remove material faster not like a regular sawsall witch only has recipricating movement ,makita makes a heavy duty one also plug in witch is a pure beast.but when it comes to cordless my vote goes to Hilti.
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #5
davepl

I've had good luck with my 18V DeWalt Sawzall. Just used it to disassemble a 1969 Pontiac, here's my brother doing some sawing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=qdw9WCXgExU

Batteries have good life, motor is plenty strong. Blade changes are super easy with a little lever you pull. So recommended, but I don't have a lot to compare it to!

Last edited by davepl; 06-15-2018 at 10:31 AM.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:13 PM   #6
Sawlog

Milwaukee, I'm a plumber and use it everyday. I cut everything from cast iron pipes, tree limbs and roots, water mains, wooden beams, ect. I have had this one for a few years with no problems.
Sawlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #7
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Thanks for the ideas . Apologies for posting in the wrong forum.

I forgot Father’s Day is close, lotta sales right now so I need to jump.

As far as batteries and compatibility with other tools, like I mentioned that isn’t of any concern to me.

Last edited by CG; 06-14-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:20 PM   #8
special-K
Special Order

I have always used Milwaukee Sawzalls. Actually, one for decades and then a second one. I needed the convenience of a cordless one and went with Dewalt when they came out with 18v. This was 25 years ago. A few years ago we were cutting bedsides up to made quarters for a friend's off road race '69 Blazer and the housing fatiqued itself in two. All those years of ratarataratarata and the blessed little thing worked itself to death. Still ran, so one held the motor while the other cut. I bought a new one and my old 18v batteries still work even though they've moved on to new technology. Dewalt is way out front if you look at the big picture. They really try hard to make what we need. A friend does real world testing for them. They give him (and hundreds more) new stuff they come up with to use on the job and assess.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:26 PM   #9
franken

I imagine it's a dumb question (and thread jack), but how long to battery powered tool batteries last?
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:57 AM   #10
Jrainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
I imagine it's a dumb question (and thread jack), but how long to battery powered tool batteries last?
thats a tough question , tool technolgy ,battery design size and voltage all play a big part , I can give you a example I have a 18v milwaukee drill for home use that I just replaced because some where along the line my Milwaukee drill I had since 2011 went missing , so being I still had the old charger and 1 battery ,I bought a new 18v drill and impact driver milwaukee combo set , my old 18v battery i still had is deeper in design then the 2 new shallower batterys that came with the new set up ,the older battery lasts at least 2 x longer but that battery is $ 129.00 if you had to replace it and the shallow batterys that came with the new set up cost is about 50.00 for replacement.

at work all the tools are Hilti they are 24v and I use them every day for hours on end where talking constant use every day they far exceed my home set up by at least 3x . as the old saying goes you get what you pay for .
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:25 AM   #11
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Did a search for Hilti tools. Looks like Wal-Mart carries them. I didn't dial down my search specifically. I'm hoping this isn't a typical price point, at least it has free shipping.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HIlti-355...&wl13=&veh=sem
Old 06-15-2018, 08:56 AM   #12
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Did a search for Hilti tools. Looks like Wal-Mart carries them. I didn't dial down my search specifically. I'm hoping this isn't a typical price point, at least it has free shipping.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HIlti-355...&wl13=&veh=sem
At that price I would buy 3 you could use them for retirement sell off
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:55 AM   #13
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Not sure about the other brands but with Dewalt 20v you have to be careful on which batteries you get. There are different amp hour sizes. I have 5amp/hr batteries which in the drill one battery will pretty much last an 8 hour day. My buddy has a 2amp hour battery in same drill and it will only last a few hours most days. My drill fatigues me bc of the weight, his you can go all day. The batteries I have will last several hours with the sawzall but would still suggest minimum of 2 batteries. What used to take 2 drills and 12 batteries for me hanging signs per day on the road with craftsman 19.2v now can be done with 1 20v Dewalt.
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #14
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

my son is a mechanic for a used car dealer and he swears by the dewalt stuff. I have a drill and a nut driver that are dewalt as well as a MAC 3/8 impact gun and all are great. In April my ex bought my son a dewalt sawsall and he loves it says its real powerful and cuts anything. He wants to get me one for Fathers day for around here If its as good as the other pieces id say buy one

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #15
A1971Blazer

After years of using different brands of cordless tools......for both business and hobby...
the ones that I have had the best service from.....Makita....... they now have a line of brushless tools as well
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:59 PM   #16
Getter-Done

I bought a Porter Cable from Lowes.
I was using it in a pull a part to remove some truck parts.
When I started using the second battery the saws all was so hot I could barely hold it
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #17
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
I bought a Porter Cable from Lowes.
I was using it in a pull a part to remove some truck parts.
When I started using the second battery the saws all was so hot I could barely hold it
I have an old porter cable set and the batteries don't hold a charge worth a damn . they are a year old or so, and not used daily

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote