The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2023, 01:54 PM   #1
mxerhale

1971 GMC Donald

I wasn't sure I wanted to put this build up, but hopefully my trials and tribulations help someone else that is working on a similar project!

It's a '71 GMC 1500 that I bought in hopes of building into a good handling, fast and fun driver that won't cost a small fortune. My wife and son sort of liked it when I called it Donald one day while tearing it apart, saying that it was big and orange, a little crusty, and was going to eventually be a bit on the loud side and thus its name became official. The picture is from the day that I had it dropped off in my driveway, it hadn't been registered since 1983 and had a bent lower control arm from some sort of curb hopping incident I suspect.

Full disclaimer, I got it to the point of driving before starting this thread... I didn't want to be one of those dudes that starts a sweet looking build and then quits posting halfway through.
Attached Images

mxerhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 09:30 PM   #2
mxerhale

Re: 1971 GMC Donald

Initial plans were as follows:

LS swap with a Sloppy style turbo kit
4L80E and 1 piece driveshaft
4/6 lowered suspension
Patina body with refurbished frame and suspension
New brake and fuel lines
Relocated gas tank

And then the fun began, teardown! I probably dislodged, scraped, washed, and blew out with the air hose 32Lbs of southern Utah dirt. Supposedly the truck was some kind of telephone company truck originally. I enlisted some help from my teenaged son in an attempt to get him interested in cars, unfortunately, it only worked marginally.

Love the tin foil fuse job!
Attached Images

Last edited by mxerhale; 08-05-2023 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-04-2023, 10:50 PM   #3
68bowtie

What’s not to like. Looks good to me!

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 10:51 AM   #4
mxerhale

I knew the truck needed some floor patches and both rockers and cab corners had been eaten by the famous salty earth that is so abundant in Utah. Luckily for me, most of the damage was easily seen from the outside so I didn't run into any real surprises.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2023, 12:20 PM   #5
mxerhale

More fun ensued with my good old Makita angle grinder and a wire wheel, followed up by some drill and air chisel games. In hindsight, I probably would have had the frame blasted and saved myself untold amounts of time, but I hear this is supposed to be part of the fun

I crosscut the heads of the rivets to make it easier, but still had to drill the middle out on some. Whoever GM had installing these things should be in the Hall Of Fame!
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2023, 02:08 PM   #6
mxerhale

Part way into the build I found a place called Tinworks Fabrication in Tennessee that had some slick crossmembers and LS swap parts that I liked, so if you see parts in my pictures with their TWF cutouts in them now you know. The only complaint I would have about everything that I bought from them was they said that the trailing arm crossmember fit long and short beds, but that required me to notch the back of my cab a little. Not something I really wanted to do. Other than that, they have superb fitting, high quality parts that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend using.

Once I had finished wire wheeling and scraping the frame and the weather started warming up, I broke out the spray gun and painted it up in Rustoleum semi gloss black.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2023, 10:25 PM   #7
cornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxerhale View Post
My wife and son sort of liked it when I called it Donald one day while tearing it apart, saying that it was big and orange, a little crusty, and was going to eventually be a bit on the loud side and thus its name became official.
Love him or hate him that's a perfect description!

I'm in for the ride too!

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 07:24 AM   #8
hewittca

Looks like its going to be a nice build. It's fun following along these rapid fire builds.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 11:36 AM   #9
mxerhale

I stitch welded the trailing arm seams (can't get those pictures to work for some odd reason), removed the spare tire carrier brace, emergency brake bracket, found a replacement control arm and then got into my favorite part, bodywork...

Luckily a good friend of mine (who has quite a few builds under his belt) helped me out with this and made the process go a little smoother. New driver's side section of floor along with a few small patches, the cab corners, and replacement of the nearly missing rockers took seemingly forever. It was a learning process for meI am very thankful that for whatever reason I have always loved the patina look, even back in the 80s when it wasn't cool!
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2023, 06:04 PM   #10
mxerhale

More bodywork pictures , this took a lot of weekends. I mean way too many hours spent trimming patches to fit, stitch welding, grinding and eventually body filler and sanding. Tedious is not a strong enough word! I applaud anyone who does bodywork, especially those with the patience and skills to do it well.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2023, 06:20 PM   #11
mxerhale

And more pics...
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2023, 06:44 PM   #12
mxerhale

Sticking with my clean underside theme, I donned a Michelin man suit, dust mask, my wire wheeled trusty Makita grinder again, and a good attitude and climbed under my sketchily set up bed! A mere 2 days of labor and eating rust and dirt got me a nice clean surface and I sprayed it all with the same Rustoleum black paint as the frame.

This was something that I am absolutely happy to have done, every time I get under the truck and rust doesn't fall in my eyes, I smile!
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2023, 06:35 PM   #13
mxerhale

Next on the list was brakes new brake lines. I liked the idea of manual brakes so I didn't skimp on the master cylinder and got a Wilwood with an adjustable proportioning valve. For the time being the truck will keep it's stock front disc and drum rear brakes, remember my budget?? My buddy continued helping me with his experience building hotrods and we bent up completely new brake lines. I put on some Hawk front pads and new rotors in hopes of improved bite with dreams of the turbo motor's massive increase in power. Rear brakes were just rebuilt and installed new Raybestos shoes, also in hopes that they would be able to woah the boosted LS down from speed.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2023, 09:35 PM   #14
mxerhale

About the same time as I got the brake system up and functioning, my search for a motor finally came to fruition and I found an all aluminum LC9 out of wrecked 2008 Suburban. Within a week of that I pressed the "buy now" button on a 1999 4L80E out of wrecked 3/4 ton Chevy truck and my plans were finally starting to come together!
I used Tinworks Fabrication motor mounts and transmission crossmember and they fit like a glove.

We ran -8 fuel lines from the universal Tanks Inc. fuel injection tank with a -6 return line and installed a Snake Eater Hellcat pump. Hopefully this is enough to keep up with the motor at 15 or so PSI. I used some cheapy chinese fuel rails and adjustable fuel regulator too finish off the supply side here.

The motor apparently was a mouse home during it's junkyard phase! I was pleasantly surprised with how clean both the motor and transmission were once I got inside them. We followed along with Matt on the Youtube Sloppy Mechanics channel and installed a Transgo shift kit in the 80E and then I got into the teardown of the 5.3. I pulled the pistons and gapped the rings to handle the boost and installed a Sloppy Mechanics Best cam. The piston tops needed some serious cleaning with all of the carbon buildup that I attribute to the crappy stock PCV system, the intake manifold was BATHED in oil too.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2023, 09:52 PM   #15
mxerhale

Installed an ICT valley cover, this is a Gen 4 motor that I had to delete the AFM crap from. New LS7 style lifters and a normal 3 bolt cam gear were also extra purchases that I didn't really plan on in the original "budget" either. This budget phenomenon apparently happens to most hot rodders...

I drilled a nice hole in the stock oil pan for a -10 oil drain line to facilitate the turbo oil drain. I ended up chickening out and buying ARP head bolts, but I did reuse the factory TTY rod bolts and just tightened them to 51ft lbs. I put an Ebay special adapter plate in place of the original that sits over the oil filter to eventually run my turbo oil feed line and an oil pressure sensor in.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2023, 09:56 PM   #16
mxerhale

More test fitting pictures.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2023, 10:48 AM   #17
mxerhale

With the motor sitting in the truck, now it was time to start building the turbo hotside.

This was a first time affair for both me and my buddy that helped throughout the build, so I did a lot of test fitting and google research deciding exactly where to put the turbo and how we were going to accomplish it. Sticking to the "sloppy" style and attempting to stay within my budget (failed...) I had some old stainless TRD Tundra exhaust that I had saved years ago that looked like would be perfect for this!

I knew I was going to use stock manifolds flipped because the trucks have a lot of room in the engine bay and because headers were WAY out of my price range. I used tow straps, wire, cardboard, and I can't remember what else mocking things up to get it all to fit where I wanted.

We almost burned my barbecue to the ground preheating the manifolds for welding , that got exciting for a few minutes. Everything worked out in the end though, the BBQ survived and the hotside works fantastic, although I nearly miscalculated the final positioning of the radiator, my crossover has about 3/8" clearance.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2023, 03:57 PM   #18
mxerhale

And some more... fabbing up the waste gate dump into the 4" down pipe that I hoped dearly would clear my front tire when I got around to turning the steering wheel right. It does.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2023, 11:53 AM   #19
mxerhale

Following along with the Sloppy Mechanics recipe for big power, I installed a 3"x31"x12" intercooler.

Lots of measuring, eyeballing, googling, and contemplation were involved in this portion because I wanted everything to line up and keep the radiator in the stock location, but maintain the largest gap between the intercooler, radiator, and not hit the grill.

I totally whiffed on the passenger side and now have a "fresh air intake" hole in the lower core support, but I wasn't overly concerned with damaging my core support being that it is rust damaged under the original battery mount.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2023, 02:50 PM   #20
bnorth

Looks great so far. I usually paint my intercoolers black to hide them a bit.
Old 08-18-2023, 07:20 AM   #21
hewittca

Nice work so far. With the GMC grill there's no hiding what's lurking under the hood!
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 07:06 PM   #22
mxerhale

Funny you mention painting the intercooler, I told a coworker who's into all things turbo and he was absolutely aghast at the idea of trying to hide it! I'm still not against it by any means, you can tell by the exterior of my truck that I'm into the whole plain wrapper thing
Old 08-21-2023, 07:29 PM   #23
mxerhale

Thanks for the compliments, I thought at this point I would try to think back over the past couple years of the build and remember the ups and downs of the build. Here are some meandering thoughts...

I did the caster mod during the reassembly phase and did a home alignment with a long string and 2 jack stands. Brilliant idea that I stumbled across one day on Youtube! The power steering pump just barely clears the driver's side of the frame, and the stock return line needs a little tweaking, but it also clears. I did replace the power steering box with a 1974 quicker ratio box and love the light feel of it.

I put a Jeg's XHD 3000rpm stall converter in the 4L80e and that sucker stalls almost exactly at 3000! The stock dipstick from the truck transmission fits just fine.

I bought an Autocity radiator with dual fans for about $330 (I think it fits some Chevelles too) off Ebay and it has already driven me around town and back and forth to work on a few 100 degree days keeping the engine temps below 211, even sitting at lights in afternoon traffic. The radiator did necessitate some trimming of the core support to fit correctly though.

I studied Matt Happel's Sloppy Mechanics videos for quite awhile before starting this, but Donald is my first foray into turbos and LS motors. The Terminator X came out during this time and made the tuning part seem way easier to learn along with quite a few smart guys putting videos out helping to answer questions before I even asked them. It has a 3 port MAC valve with an electronic boost controller (Matt Happel's) hooked up to the wastegate and my lovely wife gave me an Evil Energy catch can for Xmas so that I could delete that horrible GM PCV system with. The motor still has the original oil pan and dipstick being used and they are working just fine.

Donald was inspired by my first vehicle ever, at age 16, which was a 2wd 1969 long bed stepside Chevy C10 with a 350 and 4 speed combo in it that I eventually swapped a 1967 cab and front clip onto along with a 383 stroker that I built and a turbo 350 automatic. It could hang with the original 5.0 Mustangs back in the mid to late 80s and was 5 different colors, just how I like my sleepers!
Old 08-21-2023, 07:36 PM   #24
mxerhale

After the miserable body work was done, my buddy sprayed all the new sheet metal areas with sealer. Someday next year I hope to rattle can some Hugger Orange over this to stick with the patina theme.

I made a fake filler tube to keep the authentic behind the seat gas tank look, the truck even had an original body color gas cap when I bought it!
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2023, 07:44 PM   #25
mxerhale

I reinstalled the front clip and got to work putting in some sound deadener that would hopefully keep the 4" exhaust rumble low enough to have a conversation inside while cruising around. My wife thinks it's loud inside, but everybody else says it's just right
Attached Images