The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
C20CR

Beggining of restoration, 3/4 ton C-20, help!

Hi chevy entusiasts, we are rebuilding this chevy C-20 4x4 1970, from the beggining, this car was used since new in a coffee field, so it has 70000kms but... farm use only, the car has almost no rust, just the one caused by agrochemicals and stuff, but know the owner wants to make it a bit road worthy, so we just ordered parts from classicparts.com, like weather stripping and seals, so just after the paint job ends, we will need advice with transmission mostly, since the truck has very closed ratio transmission and we don't know if it would match a nice v8. here goes some pics.
I read a bit and i saw you guys like to see the glove box sticker so there it goes. The truck has the 6cyl engine, mated with 4speed tranny.
Thanks
Attached Images

C20CR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
C20CR

more pics

these are before the paint job began
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
factorystock

Re: Beggining of restoration, 3/4 ton C-20, help!

WOW, and welcome. I am sure there is no pinging problem with that one.I would stick to a stock cosmetic restoration only on your base model 20 series. It was built to be a workhorse with 4.57 gears and truck 4 speed, to change the powertrain will be expensive, and I think unncessary, unless you are after high topend speeds. The 6 cylinder and 4 speed have a great reputation for durability and reliabilty in the states. A high compression V8 is probably not a wise choice in Costa Rica.Good luck on restoration!
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
C20CR

you're right, here in costa rica top end speeds are only for the race track of the country, legal speed limit is 56mph, but you need power to climb hills easily. Does this transmission has the same bolt pattern than the v8? i think we can compensate the very close ratio with much bigger tires, without getting into mayor mods. thanks for the imput mate.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Hello,
I`m glad to see a Tico truck restoration.The bell housing pattern is the same.A V8 will bolt in and that would be the same transmission used with all motors.I see the truck has never been fitted with lock-out hubs.No need for those considering the off road plantation use.Feel free to ask when any questions arise.

So...where are you located in Costa Rica?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
C20CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Hello,
I`m glad to see a Tico truck restoration.The bell housing pattern is the same.A V8 will bolt in and that would be the same transmission used with all motors.I see the truck has never been fitted with lock-out hubs.No need for those considering the off road plantation use.Feel free to ask when any questions arise.

So...where are you located in Costa Rica?
I'm located in heredia costa rica, north from the capital city san jose, thanks for the info with the transsmission, that was our biggest concern since the tranny and diffs are perfect, would be a waste to find new ones, the car wont be used anymore as a farm truck, so it would be convenient to find the lock-out hubs. Thanks for the info mate!
Old 12-05-2009, 12:13 AM   #7
factorystock

According to the decal, it shows the regular 4 speed, if it was a close ratio 4 speed, it would say NP435 CR. Standard 4 speeds have a cast iron top cover, while close ratio NP435CR's have an aluminum top cover. Taller tires will help lower rpms. It looks like the interior needs most of the attention in your restoration. Seat covers, dash boards and steering wheels are available in repops, but are not manufactured in all colors and trim levels. For example, the deluxe seat pattern is reproduced, but not the base model seat pattern.There is a seat cover color (parchment) similar to the color of the inside door panels. Steering wheels are reproduced, but not in the same original color (beige) of your column. I believe the dash should be a gold beige color too.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #8
factorystock

Very little chrome on these base models when new.It was a simple nononsense work vehicle.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
C20CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
Very little chrome on these base models when new.It was a simple nononsense work vehicle.
it would be nice to rebuild this truck back to the workhorse it was born, but those tires are to damn rude for normal use!, the idea for now is a v8 engine, bigger tires, paint, and the bed. We are considering swapping the 98' silverado seats also. We are not considering a serious body modification or something, it would be a waste cause the car is too well mantained. Interior parts, all seals, and the dash pad were ordered black from classic parts, they are expected to arrive in a month, ill keep you posted with pictures of the incoming parts. We will leave the powertrain at last, first we'll gonna work with paint.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:09 PM   #10
factorystock

It sounds like your running bias ply tires. Many 3/4 tons with 16" 2 piece rims are converted to 16" 1 piece rims found on early to mid 80's 3/4 tons. A switch to radials on the stock GM rims would solve the ride problem. I would stay away from wide mag type wheels and extra large tires, since they would drastically alter the character of your vehicle and make steering difficult, especially at slow speeds. IMO, trucks should have truck wheels, not wheels that look like they belong on a race cars. There are seat cover kits with the factory "scroll" pattern in black that would look great in your 70.You could also go to a black column and black stock steering wheel and black floormat to complete the interior.IMO, non period seats or steering wheels just plain look out of place in a classic vehicle.Good luck on restoration!
Old 12-19-2009, 11:36 PM   #11
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

I like it! I am digging that kilo speedo also. Keep the pics coming. Eric
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:32 PM   #12
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Wow! Great truck - color combo is unique. Good luck with the build. Pura vida!

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote