The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2016, 09:20 PM   #1
black_k5

Windshield Frame Caulk ?

Hi guys, I just bought my first k5 a few weeks ago and Im starting to work of some of the things the previous owner did not do correctly. So the guy owned the truck since 1992 and said he never had the top off. I found this to be true when I took the top off 3 days after owning it and found the paint was a different color under the top and he had it caulked on there tight. So my question is when I was trying to get the caulk off the top of the windshield I though there was bond under it so I took it all off. Now I'm starting to wounder if it was a factory body caulk? I tried to attack a picture of what it looked like while scraping it off, I'm new to the forum so no sure if it will work. Thanks

Name:  blazer frame.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  29.7 KB
black_k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:26 PM   #2
black_k5

Re: Windshield Frame Caulk ?

This is it all cleaned out
Name:  blazer clean.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  29.9 KB
Old 09-28-2016, 10:36 PM   #3
hemi43

There was a type of caulk in there from the factory, but it's best to wire wheel as much of it out as possible because the stuff is almost 50 years old. The process to repair it properly is to take every down to bare metal which means removing any old caulk and any rust. You can then prime with epoxy primer and let it cure. Scuff the area and re seal using a good quality 2-part seam sealer. Once this is cured, scuff again and prime with epoxy primer. This will last forever.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:33 AM   #4
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_k5 View Post
This is it all cleaned out
Attachment 1575506
first off welcome to the boards, I'm located about 1/2 hour northeast of you, you're welcome to stop by. very friendly and knowledgeable group of guys on here.

You can also look at the pick up side of the forums, since they also have the same sealer on their windshield. Can't direct you to a specific product, as I have not done it yet, but as mentioned above, you can't go wrong with a 2 part seam sealer. May be a bit runny, I think, from what I read, but not positive. There is also that drain hole to contend with, don't think you would want to fill that in.

More pics!

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:16 AM   #5
hemi43

Don't be too concerned about those drain holes. They were put there because the pickups needed a place for the water to drain, and do nothing for the Blazers. Just make sure you use a 2-part sealer and fill the trough. It's self leveling but not so viscous that it will run. I plugged those drain holes with masking tape on the underside to prevent the sealer from draining out of them.

Attached Images

Old 09-29-2016, 04:42 PM   #6
black_k5

Thank you guys for the info. I see Eastwood sells a epoxy primer in a spray can so I'll run up there today or tom and pick some up. Will one tube of the 3m do my windshield or should I get 2?

Jaros44sr I'd like to come up and look at yours one day when I get a chance. I've been reading on this forum since I started looking for a blazer and found a lot of good info so far. I'm sure there will be many more questions as I go along with it. Just trying to touch up the bed rails and windshield so I can put new seals on the top and get it ready for winter.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:44 PM   #7
black_k5

Hemi43 who makes your soft top? I like the look of that material and since my truck has already been drilled for one I've started to look for them. Thanks
Old 09-29-2016, 06:21 PM   #8
jaros44sr

Quote:
Thank you guys for the info. I see Eastwood sells a epoxy primer in a spray can so I'll run up there today or tom and pick some up. Will one tube of the 3m do my windshield or should I get 2?

Jaros44sr I'd like to come up and look at yours one day when I get a chance. I've been reading on this forum since I started looking for a blazer and found a lot of good info so far. I'm sure there will be many more questions as I go along with it. Just trying to touch up the bed rails and windshield so I can put new seals on the top and get it ready for winter.
your welcome anytime, I'm retired. call ahead to make sure I'm home. I'll pm you my cell#

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:06 PM   #9
hemi43

Quote:

Don't use anything in a spray can !!
The only exception to this rule is maybe an etch primer, but everything else will be a compromise. Use a proper 2 part epoxy primer which consists of the primer itself and a catalyst. I've been painting for 30+years, and I can't stress this enough.
One kit of the 2 part epoxy seam sealer will be more than enough, and if you don't have the proper dispensing gun for the tubes pictured above, this product is available in a standard sized tube which will fit a standard caulking gun. There's 2 separate chambers in this tube, so it's a true 2K product.

BTW, my top is made by Softopper, and I love it.
Dan
Old 10-04-2016, 07:09 PM   #10
warbucket

Welcome, I'm over in Havertown off Rte 30. You should check out the car show at Delaware county community college on 10/16, my blazer and 2 others will be there along with about 200 nice cars.
John
warbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:25 PM   #11
black_k5

Thanks John, I was planning on going there but i will probably be taking my 69 camaro again. I'll look for you there. I dont remember any k5s being there last year.
Anthony
Old 10-07-2016, 07:37 PM   #12
warbucket

Cool, see ya there. Last year Al, the president of HCCP had his red blazer there down near the club trailer.
John
warbucket is offline   Reply With Quote