The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2011, 02:01 AM   #1
406 Q-ship

Steering Wheel install

Here is my story of steering wheel replacement. I noticed a few weeks ago that some people on here were looking at changing out steering wheels with one of the cushion style steering wheel, well here is how it is done.

I wanted a the cushion steering wheel used on the Chevrolet car line starting in 1969 and in the Corvette well into the late 1970's. This steering wheel also came on Buicks as the sport wheel option into the 1970's. After a stop at Classic Industries to pick up some pieces needed to do the swap on my 1967 short box truck.

Here is what I started with, the column is out of a 1971 truck. My truck was a 292 4 speed originally but now has been converted to a 350/350 combination out of a later truck using a 1971 as a parts supply.

Lookie......new stuff! This is everything needed to install a cushion or wood wheel (64 - 69 Chevy cars) on to a 67 - 72 Truck.

The steering wheell and horn pieces.

The steering wheel hub for a 1964 - 1968 Chevelle, 1967 - 1968 Camaro....basicly all GM cars before 1968.

A very nice repop of the horn button.

Put the steering wheel so it is straight forward, there is a line marked on the shaft where the nut is. Pull the original steering wheel, mine did not require a steering wheel puller but yours might.

Change out the horn contact with the one in the kit.

Install the wheel hub on to the column. The cut out notch on the hub goes to the bottom, carefully align it so the wheel will be straight.

Now the steering wheel goes on, I used thread lock compound on the screws so prevent them coming loose. Next the horn button contact piece goes on, make sure to align the tab on the bottom to the horn contact pieces that passes through the steering wheel hub.

Pop the horn button on and DONE, without thurther ado........

Have fun with this information.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:13 AM   #2
bucketObolts

Re: Steering Wheel install

The new wheel looks great. Thanks for the info this will definitely help alot of us
bucketObolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
68Stepbed

Nice write-up. Thanks for sharing the info. I still can't decide if I want one of those wheels or stick with a custom wheel. I'm even thinking of using my stock 68 wheel.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
pat 70/71

I have that wheel in my 71/sb and love it! fits the style of our trucks perfectly. cheers, Pat
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:52 AM   #5
HeavyChevy70

What is the brand name of the steering wheel? Do you have pictures of the final install?
HeavyChevy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:24 AM   #6
WIDESIDE72

" The cut out notch on the hub goes to the bottom..."

More details on this please.

I am going to go with a comfort grip wheel eventually but want to get all of the details complete first. There was a nice used repro on ebay last week for $150 but it had the larger 4-1/8" hub. I figured by the time i bought it, then bought the smaller hub, id get stuck with the larger hub and end up at full retail price!
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:08 PM   #7
warndogg

OP- I know this post is hella old but I just got almost the same wheel. How do you get the horn button on????? I spent 10 min scratching the wheel up trying to get the button.
warndogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:03 PM   #8
warndogg

nevermind put the horn button contact before the wheel... I really wish this kit came with instructions could have saved me from scratching the wheel by the button!
warndogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:52 PM   #9
adzints7

I know it's an old thread but is there any way the OP could repost the pics?? Or is there a way to refresh or access the few that do not come up? I'm getting a few click for photos cat but nothing when I click...
adzints7 is offline   Reply With Quote