The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2016, 12:09 AM   #1
nitrosport_5

help with headliner trim install

I need any help i can get with the headliner trim. getting pretty bummed out because of this stupid plastic trim. i cut the holes in the roof exactly how the article on Brothers trucks website said to. i went through 2 sets of trim and decided to open the holes up another 1/16" or so and the trim still wont go in, and if it does start to pop in the tabs will break off. adding insult to injury, i had 2 pieces of trim in on my second attwmpt, but they were short and left about 1/2" gap between the 2 pieces where they meet above the dome light. after that BS i changed to a different brand of trim. so after breaking a few tabs on my 3rd set.....how the hell do you install this stuff without ruining it. the inside of my truck looks like garbage as soon as you look up.

and i need to vent a little....pretty frustrated. ive put 130 mi on this truck so far, but all the little things keep on stacking up to the point ive concidered cutting my losses and moving on. started this build with the intentions of building a brand new truck and keeping it for the rest of my life, but ill be lucky if the pristine cab and doors i started with dont end up completely rotten in a few years. paint on cab and doors is coming off in chunks, bubbled in spots, guy got overspray on all kinds of brand new or redone parts underneith. makes it not even enjoyable to work on.

and picture because.......
Attached Images

nitrosport_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:31 PM   #2
nitrosport_5

Re: help with headliner trim install

no tips? i got 2 clips on 1 piece popped in, and i try a 3rd and it pops the others out. is there any other way to put this junk up besides a buch of sheetmetal screws? its amazing how much a botched headliner will absolutely ruin the entire interior of an otherwise spotless truck.

word of advice, if your truck doesnt have a headliner originally, dont add one. i thought oh it cant be that bad, i have hours into this headliner and hundreds of dollars in trim, once the clips break, fork out another $100. not worth it.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:05 PM   #3
1968aj

I think I would get some short trim screws and a drill. maybe some liquid nails. I may be interested in the trim you broke if you want to sell it.
1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:12 PM   #4
LongBox

Well, I feel your pain. The same kind of things have happened to me, and I bet to lots of guys. I don't know how to solve your problem, but I'm hoping another member, near by to you, will jump in and help you.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:29 PM   #5
nitrosport_5

starting to get it in, hitting it alot harder than i think should be necessary using a 24oz plastic/rubber deadblow. i only have 1 broken clip at the moment on an edge right by a screw, hoping i will get away with using that piece. ive got the front 2 pieces in without incident yet. but been working at it for most of tge day off and on.

luckily hotrod drag week gives sonthing entertaining to watch while im at it.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:44 PM   #6
57larry

could you glue the headliner in without using the trim? a different look
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:35 PM   #7
nitrosport_5

i had the headliner glued in, but the roof has holes around the headliner where the trim goes. if i did it again id make a custom headliner that would cover the holes and everything and just glue that up and omit the chrome. all the headliner is is some vinyl over cardboard.

the trim is installed. it definately is not perfect...... but it will have to do. the front 2 pieces and passenger side rear have all the clips in tact and installed, the drivers side rear piece broke a few of the tabs off, but the screws are holding it for now. i worked on it for about 5 hours or so yesterday. i cant believe how hard the trim needs to be hit to get it to snap into place. thankfully other than a set of shoulder belts that i would like to add, my interior is finished. i need to get a couple light sockets for the ac/heater panel...but thats fun stuff to me. ill do electrical work all day long before having to screw with plastic trim!

thanks for listening to me complain lol, it helps to vent somtimes. i should have just taken it for a drive and i would have been much happier again. letting that 396 strech its legs through 3" magnaflows changes everything
Attached Images