The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2017, 10:11 AM   #1
jsera

High Oil Pressure

Hey guys, I just put in new gauges on my 72 and am reading 100psi oil pressure on startup and eventually after a drive itll come down to 75. I plan on buying one of those cheap oil pressure gauges with an oil line to confirm the reading from my new gauges, but is there anything else that might be wrong? Engine is a rebuilt sbc off CL. Runs well but I have no idea what went into it. It does have an oil leak somewhere towards the rear of the engine on the drivers side. haven't figured out if its the valve covers or what

Last edited by jsera; 03-17-2017 at 10:24 AM.
jsera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
randy.powell

Re: High Oil Pressure

Do you know the history of your engine? Maybe you have a high volume/high pressure pump in there? Or did this just start after being "normal"? Did you do a recent oil change and put a heavier weight oil in? The stock oil pressure gauges don't read in PSI so is this an aftermarket gauge you just put in? Give us more info and we'll try to help you out.
B/R,
Randy
randy.powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #3
jsera

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy.powell View Post
Do you know the history of your engine? Maybe you have a high volume/high pressure pump in there? Or did this just start after being "normal"? Did you do a recent oil change and put a heavier weight oil in? The stock oil pressure gauges don't read in PSI so is this an aftermarket gauge you just put in? Give us more info and we'll try to help you out.
B/R,
Randy
No history on the engine, the guy I bought it from bought it for a project he didn't get around to... I did put in fresh oil, 10w-30 possibly 40 if I remember right. The gauges are from new vintage USA:
http://newvintageusallc.mybigcommerc...y-truck-retro/
Old 03-17-2017, 10:56 AM   #4
LongBox

Obviously, the easiest and cheapest thing to do is to get another oil pressure gauge, a mechanical type of known quality, and plumb it into the engine and compare the readings.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:57 AM   #5
demian5

If this is a Big Block, you will wipe out your cam and valve train eventually. Not to mention the increased pressure is robbing you of free horsepower.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...please.627788/
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:12 AM   #6
jsera

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBox View Post
Obviously, the easiest and cheapest thing to do is to get another oil pressure gauge, a mechanical type of known quality, and plumb it into the engine and compare the readings.
If the readings are the same, should I do something more? is there anything wrong with having this high pressure besides lost power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
If this is a Big Block, you will wipe out your cam and valve train eventually. Not to mention the increased pressure is robbing you of free horsepower.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...please.627788/
The engine is a small block., should it be a concern, how much power are we talking?
Old 03-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #7
davepl

Not sure why Demian says the big block oiling is much different than the small block, I'd be curious.

Your biggest risk is likely an exploded oil filter if you rev it up cold. But I'd want to confirm those readings with another gauge if possible before you got too concerned about it.

If the pressures are indeed high, your other risk is that most of your oil will be bypassing the filter. I would guess this stems from bearing clearances and rod-side-clearance, but it must be very tight if the gauge is right!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote