The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2018, 11:16 PM   #326
argonaut

Re: Polar Bear Suburban

Larry,
What clutch release bearing did you use in the suburban and the truck? After all these years I'm finally putting the nv4500 into Big Ugly, and it seems like I have very little clearance between the backside of the clutch fork arm and the opening in the side of the bellhousing. I'm wondering if you used a "taller" or longer bearing than I. I'm using National bearing number 614018.

Thanks.

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2002 Porsche 911 Turbo
2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1981 Fiat Spider 2000

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:20 AM   #327
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonaut View Post
Larry,
What clutch release bearing did you use in the suburban and the truck? After all these years I'm finally putting the nv4500 into Big Ugly, and it seems like I have very little clearance between the backside of the clutch fork arm and the opening in the side of the bellhousing. I'm wondering if you used a "taller" or longer bearing than I. I'm using National bearing number 614018.

Thanks.
Yep, I am using the same release bearing. Pretty much the common GM release bearing prior to them moving to integrated release bearing/slave cylinder assemblies.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:32 PM   #328
kwmech

What brand of fender flares do you have there
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:39 PM   #329
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
What brand of fender flares do you have there
Warn 4XFlares. Unfortunately, they are extinct now. They stopped making them a year or so ago. Same with Xenon, they stopped too and were hoping to sell the dies to someone like LMC. Bushwacker is the last game in town for flares for square bodys
Old 05-02-2018, 12:44 AM   #330
84chevyguyid

Looking for an 8.1 to put in my 87 suburban, found a 2003 engine but its set up to run propane and comes with a wiring harness and the ecm. The guy wants 800 bucks for it. How big of a problem would it be to convert it back to gasoline?
Love your build by the way!!

Thanks,
Mike
84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:44 AM   #331
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84chevyguyid View Post
Looking for an 8.1 to put in my 87 suburban, found a 2003 engine but its set up to run propane and comes with a wiring harness and the ecm. The guy wants 800 bucks for it. How big of a problem would it be to convert it back to gasoline?
Love your build by the way!!

Thanks,
Mike
Thanks!

Propane engines are good ones to get as they are CLEAN! If you ever rip it down the valves and pistons will look like brand new. If the engine came out of a Schwannís truck all you need is a gasoline fuel rail and injectors and youíre ready for gasoline action. On the other hand, if this was a gen set or well pump engine it could need an entire intake. Iíd find out what the engine came out of before I jumped on it.

As far as the harness goes, I am not in favor of reworking original harnesses. They just are not worth the hassle. The best money you can put towards one of these swaps is starting with a new, clean stand alone harness from Howell or one of the many other vendors that make harnesses.

This thread should help you alongÖ
Old 05-02-2018, 11:03 PM   #332
84chevyguyid

I decided to buy it, didnt want the 6 hour drive to be a total waste. Here is a link to pics of it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post8253226
Old 05-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #333
DirtyLarry

Quote:
I decided to buy it, didnt want the 6 hour drive to be a total waste. Here is a link to pics of it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post8253226
Congrats! That is a great score! Definitely a GM Medium Duty truck engine with about 99% chance it came out of a Schwannís Foods truck. Those are easily converted back to gasoline with a fuel rail and set of injectors. Ironically, you can buy complete take-off fuel rails and injectors on Ebay from that were taken off Schwannís engines back when they were new and converted to propane. The only downside is those rails are returnless. New return type fuel rails can be purchased too but they are pretty pricy. The injectors are the same on returnless and return type fuel rails. I bought one of those Schwannís take off rails and move the injectors over to a new returnless rail when I did the 8.1L in my Burb. I probably have a few returnless rails laying here as I donít like returnless systems and always remove them and replace them with return type. Its much easier to control fuel pressure with a return type fuel system.

Obviously, the ECM will need to be reflashed but it would need reflashed regardless. Personally, I would sell the harness, get a new Howell harness and use your ECM as a core for a fresh Howell ECM. There are many choices other than Howell as well.

Have fun!
Old 05-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #334
84chevyguyid

Larry, what kind of mileage do you get with the suburban both empty and towing your camper? Best and worst mpg?
Old 05-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #335
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Larry, what kind of mileage do you get with the suburban both empty and towing your camper? Best and worst mpg?
That is everybodyís favorite question. The Suburban pulls 12/13 most of the time and about 10/11 MPG with the travel trailer behind it. This is about 1 to 1.5 better MPG than it did with the old gutless 5.7L. More power and better fuel economy as the 8.1L isnít working its tail off to move this big ole rig. Now the K10 with the 8.1L gets lower fuel economy due to its weight and aerodynamics with the camper on top. That one gets 10/11 and probably single digits flying down the Interstate at 85 MPH.

My stock Silverado with an 8.1L always did the worse in fuel economy but I recently had the ECM retuned but have not checked fuel economy yet but I can already tell it is up there with the Suburban if not even greater. What kills fuel economy with an 8.1L is an automatic trans, especially an Allison. If you can run a manual and shift them at low RPMís like a diesel is the key to getting decent economy out of them. All of my 8.1Ls have manuals behind them.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:01 PM   #336
84chevyguyid

Thanks for the info. So if you had to choose between automatics, allison or 4l80e?
Old 05-07-2018, 05:09 PM   #337
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Thanks for the info. So if you had to choose between automatics, allison or 4l80e?
If you must have an Automatic, 4L80E would be the best. NV4500 manual is my preference
Old 05-07-2018, 05:30 PM   #338
Ski-me

What's the difference from the 4L80e and the 4L85e (that is suppose to be in my 8.1L Yukon XL)?

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #339
LT7A

Quote:
What's the difference from the 4L80e and the 4L85e (that is suppose to be in my 8.1L Yukon XL)?
Well, I'll chime in here a little bit. I think Larry is extremely patient with all the questions that he answers because this is the build thread for his Suburban. The questions at least have to do with work he's done on his Suburban. I think the question above can be answered by a Google search. I would recommend that.

Larry this is the second time I've read through this entire thread. So cool! The first time was to gather information and see how you work. The second time is because I acquired a Suburban. I hope you continue to enjoy the heck out of it.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:33 PM   #340
deejaaa1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Well, I'll chime in here a little bit. I think Larry is extremely patient with all the questions that he answers because this is the build thread for his Suburban. The questions at least have to do with work he's done on his Suburban. I think the question above can be answered by a Google search. I would recommend that.

Larry this is the second time I've read through this entire thread. So cool! The first time was to gather information and see how you work. The second time is because I acquired a Suburban. I hope you continue to enjoy the heck out of it.
well said.
Originally Posted by gottattooz View Post
...68 Chevy Shortbed... guy clearcoated..and...threw glitter all over it...like he was feeding chickens!!!...
deejaaa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:45 PM   #341
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post

Yes, indeed! Iíve come so accustom to threads getting derailed Iíve almost come immune to it. Glad youíve enjoyed the thread. Been a long time since Iíve had time to write much on the trucks lately between a little human and demanding job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaaa1 View Post
well said.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:01 PM   #342
Viperject

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
Iíve come so accustom to threads getting derailed Iíve almost come immune to it.
How often do guys ask you to sell it?

Asking for a friend.
Viperject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:13 PM   #343
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperject View Post
How often do guys ask you to sell it?

Asking for a friend.

Quite a bit on Instagram. Every few months I'd say. Tell your friend it is not for sale.