The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2018, 01:02 PM   #1
Pinchecharlie

advice on suspension improvements

I have a 65 swb 2 wheel drive c10 with a stockish sbc and turbo 350, 12 bolt posi,(i put that stuff In) i bought last summer (for fun). I changed the front suspension to a late model one( 73-87) except i kept my old crossmember. I installed all new bushings and ball joints and did dropped spindles and springs. I dropped it too much and then raised it again (sorry forget the spring drop? 3 inches maybe) I bought 16 inch steelies and have forgotten the tire size crap. new (old style 73-87) disc brakes and new shocks. so all new (except old style 73-87). only thing weird i did was the re locate the lower control arms mounting pin hole for caster improvement. while i was there i did a power steering retro fit with capt fabs bracket and pol booster and master cylinder. in the rear its stock trailing arms with new bushings (urethane, bushings in front are urethane too) springs and shocks and a notch and a panhard bar. So as you probably know even though it is fine , it is a squishy squeeky dogboat that handles like poop. now in fairness about the only up grade from napa parts were the ball joints and bushings . everything else is stock chevy replacement stuff from napa. The drop stuff came from p.o.l. and cpp and the spindles are western chassis. example- lower a arm from 80 chevy c10 or whatever. my goals are to have a smooth and somewhat sporty (within reason) suspension BUT i dont really want to do a aftermarket crossmember system. questions-
1-are coil overs DRAMATICALLY better? THE NEW QA1 kit looks good or the ride tech? i would use no limit IF i could just use pieces.
2-can exspensive sway bars and exspensive shocks help DRAMATICALLY with the stock system?
when i say exspensive i mean like qa1 or ridetech adjustable style and hotchkiss or no limit or ridetech sway bars?
do fabricated trailing arms make a big difference?
3-would front control arms help or is it just the coil spring?
i just dont want to replace everything if i dont have to. example would be to at least keep the spindles and brakes and rotors. alot of the kits for coil overs use different spindles. now i have a bad habit of wanting race car stuff on a yugo budget. so i will be fair in my exspectations and my budget is good so i could buy whatever i want but iam not building a race truck and so i dont want to buy a 10k dollar chassis (yes i do !but i wont) I have a 49 ford thats air bagged and so iam over the whole bag thing but i never ran a shock wave but i still dont really want to mess with all the other miscallaneous b.s.
Is there a compromise with these parts somewhere?
What are your honest opinions from stock control/trailing arms to fabricated?
from coil spring to coil over?
from stockish shocks to multi valved adjustable?
exspensive sway bars?

thanks and sorry for the loaded question! at least i get to say chevys best on here! look forward to your input. trucks going to the body shop (no college for my kids) in march and i want to do the chassis/rest of the crap while its there. thanks again charlie
Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote