The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
nitrosport_5

Looking for a 4 row aluminum radiator with fans

I'm trying to locate a good quality 4 row aluminum radiator with a fan shroud and electric fans for my 72 k20 auto truck. There are all kinds of them on eBay but I'm afraid of poor quality construction. Dont want to skimp and use made in china crap for this type of item.

What are you guys using and are you happy with build quality? I would like something to drop onto the factory location and have a trans cooler as well. Thanks for any replies
nitrosport_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
burnin oil

Re: Looking for a 4 row aluminum radiator with fans

I used a 2 core universal becool radiator on my street truck. I had to make my own mounts and it does not have coolers which I don't need. It was actually pretty cheap and made well. She cools better than the old 3 core copper radiator and I have not reinstalled the shroud yet. Best part is I have a 400sb which is known for running hot. I think that you will be happy with a becool, especially if you dump the factory mount part. You can probably find something that is not a direct fit, ie needs custom mounts, for half the price of a drop in.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #3
Blue97

I ordered mine from Radiators express, Of course mine is a 97 but they still might have something for you. I have a 2 core but the cores are WIDE!! And it also has a Dual fan kit with shroud to go with which I will pick up when im done with other things on my truck.

here's a link to mine and the fan is just below, check it out cant hurt..
https://radiatorexpress.com/product....aia_id=1031555
Blue97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:33 PM   #4
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Ron Davis or Be Cool is all you ever need to know about radiators. Pricey, but you do get what you pay for. I ran a cheep aluminum in th e94 for a short time and the epoxy sealed end caps cracked and went to puking coolant. Of course,, about 2 hours after the warrantee ran out

Jeggs was including a free gallon of BeCool antifreeze with every direct fit radiator. Be cool has a deal where if you use their antifreeze it DOUBLES their 1 year warrantee. Not as though you would need it, but it's nice to know it's 100% covered for 2 years!

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
cableguy0

Buy once,Cry once. Its cheaper to spend more in the first place. Cooling system is not a place to try and save money. Go with BeCool or Ron Davis as Marv said you will NOT be disappointed.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:12 AM   #6
SparkyRnD

We are a supporting vendor here, and we build bolt-in aluminum radiator for your truck that are made here in the USA, using all aluminum (NO epoxy), and everything it TIG welded by hand. We also include a built-in trans cooler at no additional charge. We build them with dual 1" thick cores (same thickness as a traditional 4-core radiator). Here is a link to them on this forum:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590670
Old 07-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #7
Marv D

Sparky those are some darn decent looking radiators. What kind of warrantee do you offer on them.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #8
SparkyRnD

Thanks. We have a 1 year warranty on everything we sell
Old 07-05-2014, 07:39 AM   #9
The Camaro Guy

I had an original made by a local radiator shop, 4 core wide and the 69 C-10 runs cool. I am not a fan of aluminum, but it is cheaper than the copper and brass of old. A radiator shop likes them better than aluminum as well. It has been in the truck for 10 years using a stock fan clutch and stock fan shroud. We tow our Camaro to shows with it. 427, 700r, 373 gears with the AC running. . . .proven over the years.
The Camaro Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #10
SparkyRnD

radiator shops like brass & copper as they can repair them & core them out. Aluminum isn't something most old shops can work with.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #11
nitrosport_5

thanks for the replies. I was looking at possibly getting a champion radiator/leadfoot racing shroud. their radiators look to be of good quality on their website.

http://www.championradiators.com/Che...roud-1967-1972
Old 07-09-2014, 06:08 PM   #12
SparkyRnD

There are a lot of reviews of them, and you do get what you pay for. Ours are made here in the USA by hand by Americans, TIG welded and NO epoxy. Plus, we are also a supporting vendor on this forum and we offer a discount to members. Let me know if you change your mind, we'd love the chance to build one for your truck.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #13
nitrosport_5

Do you guys offer shrouds? I haven't made up my mind yet. Not quite ready to pull the trigger. What would be an out the door price for 4 row with trans cooler and elec fan shroud.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:36 PM   #14
SparkyRnD

We make shrouds for electric fans to go on our radiators, but we don't make them for mechanical fans. The discounted prices for the items are:
Radiator: $425 (built-in trans coolers are included at no additional cost, just note at time of ordering)
Fan & Shroud kit: $220
Shipping to washington: $85

Let me know if you want to order.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:58 AM   #15
The Camaro Guy

I have a Champion 4 core, for $225. shipped and it works great with the stock fan shroud and clutch (stock) fan. BB runs cool as it should.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #16
SparkyRnD

We are more expensive than Champion, but with good reason. We build everything here in the USA by hand, all aluminum, TIG welded, etc. You do get what you pay for, and in some cases, the additional cost is worth the quality of the product.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:56 AM   #17
The Camaro Guy

Check out the Champion web site. All tig welded, no epoxy and the specs on there radiator compares to those made in the USA. Guaranteed for life. Call and talk to them, I believe in California. Not all that is made overseas is junk. In many cases it is managed by US companies and US management in the factory. Choice is yours. Just an old guy talkin.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:50 PM   #18
SparkyRnD

Out of all of our radiators, even though we list a 1 year warranty, we have had only 2 since we have been in business that had a manufacturing defect (something we're very proud of). The issue that I have with most foreign ones is that they are made cheaply, and how many times do you want to r&r a radiator? Plus, this may be just an old American speaking, but I like to support USA made products and businesses, instead of sending my dollars overseas whenever possible
Old 07-28-2014, 05:29 PM   #19
Marv D

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Camaro Guy View Post
Check out the Champion web site. All tig welded, no epoxy and the specs on there radiator compares to those made in the USA. Guaranteed for life. Call and talk to them, I believe in California. Not all that is made overseas is junk. In many cases it is managed by US companies and US management in the factory. Choice is yours. Just an old guy talkin.
and putting a US worker on unemployment

DOH, sorry I know I should just sit on my hands but that needed to be said.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:38 PM   #20
The Camaro Guy

I buy American whenever I can and if it is in the budget. I have owned 65 cars in my 66 years, half collector cars, ALL are GM where the profit stays in the US. Now foreign cars are with in the price range and quality but I choose to buy American. No Hondas or Toyotas for me! Many industries have become competitive in price and quality by sharpening their business model to become more competitive. I also buy Goodyear and BFG tires. . . just an old American guy talkin!
Old 08-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #21
SparkyRnD

That is always the hardest part to overcome is price. I have had to make many changes over the years to buy and support American businesses that are based here and make their products here (not just an American company that sells items they bought overseas). It's tough, and does cost more in most cases, but is well worth it. That is why our company exists, as there was a demand in the market for American made custom radiators made from products here in the USA. But we do understand when folks have to stick to a lower budget
Old 08-05-2014, 10:55 AM   #22
tgfeller

I debated on getting a champion radiator for awhile. In the end I got an American made Griffin radiator from summit racing. 2 core, bigger tubes, better cooling, aluminum shroud with two high quality Spal fans. Couple hundred more and totally worth it. You can always make more money, and it always feels good knowing you have quality parts in your truck!
tgfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #23
tgfeller

Fyi the Griffin 2 core takes our 4 core mounts and cools better than the stock 4 core.
tgfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #24
SparkyRnD

aluminum 2-core have the same core thickness as a 4-core. Here's why:

stock 4-cores are brass & copper radiators, that use four separate cores that are 1/2" thick each.

aluminum 2-cores use two cores that are 1" thick each

so when looking at rads, a stock brass & copper 4 core and an aluminum 2 core are basically the same size. at that point, it comes down to flow, fin count, dissipation of heat based on the material used, etc.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #25
Gumby

Always go copper unless its a tight spot and you have no choice but to go aluminum.

Its not some fancy race part, or even better, just a fad to go aluminum.
Car makers only did it cause it was cheaper, not cause its better.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote