The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2007, 12:08 PM   #26
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Keeping it running is the philosophy I used on my 71 C-10. At least when I was down about the lack of a nice paint job, I could start it up and go for a ride. I also put off the more difficult body work on that one until last. The body work was done very poorly on the cab corners, rockers and floor. It is being stuborn coming out for better repairs (he welded just about every inch around the rockers, lots of grinding, chiseling and drilling).

As of now, I am continuing to make repairs to the hatch, epoxy and bondo for finish. I need to find some little pieces and know where another junker Blazer is. When I get time I'm going to head down and see if I can find more of my missing parts on that. I'll also be revisiting another two local yards that I haven't been too in a few years. They had a few trucks last time, but it's been too long now for me to remember what they were. Wish me luck!
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:06 PM   #27
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

A quick update. All I've been working on for this truck is repairs to the rear hatch. As you may recall, there was a hole in it where one of the support struts is bolted on. I used epoxy for the repairs, just the stuff from the tubes and used wood shim material as backing for added strength and support. According to the fiberglass repair can instructions, they just use bondo to cover the repairs and sand smooth, then paint. My epoxy repairs are now done. I just need to finish sanding it down, skim coat with a little bondo, sand that, then paint it white.

Here's where its at now:

Before:
Old 06-04-2007, 07:08 PM   #28
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Looking good
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:19 PM   #29
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Another part of this build is cost reduction. To that end I have been selling parts that came with it I don't need. So far I sold a tailgate band, beauty ring, and the jack and cleared about $65.00. I spent $5.00 on more epoxy. I already have some bondo and sandpaper to use up. I still have other parts to sell yet, some are listed here on the parts board. Some I will get on ebay soon.

I have also been scrounging a bit looking for the missing pieces. I remembered another blazer at a junkyard not too far away. First thing I'll do is call him and see if he'll sell the whole rig to me and for how much. Then I'll go check it out to see if there is anything I can use left on it and if I can then part it out or sell the rest to get my cash out of it. Who knows, the tub may be in better shape than what I have and I'll have to sell the Jimmy and rename the thread. I also have a number to call on a tip from another junkyard, and a possible parts rig sitting in a nearby town I'll have to do a drive by on. Wish me luck!

My total investment is down to $400.00. I hope to knock that down by another 100 or so.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:22 PM   #30
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

My 72 k5 also has the notches and the rounded rear frame horns.. This looks like it will be a great build thread keep us posted..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:49 AM   #31
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quick update, no real hands on work done this week, had to work. But found out that one of the potential donar trucks is gone. I'll be going to check out another one this next week. If I get time this weekend, I'll get the hatch cleaned up, bondoed, sanded and painted (rattle can) and installed.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:07 PM   #32
RunTMCfan

You've inspired me to keep an eye on my Blazer budget...wait...if I sit down long enough maybe this thought will go away
Old 06-09-2007, 05:36 PM   #33
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I'm grinning ear to ear . I had to go out to the junkyard to see if I could get a door latch for the suburban cause it broke. The Tahoe he had there was already missing the latch so I drove around to see what I had missed for drive train gear. I found a 3/4 ton chevy (late 70's - early 80's) that still had the TH350 and NP205 in it. They sell trannies for $150 and he'll throw in the transfer case & adapter with it because "they don't get much call for them"

I am stoked. I've been researching on-line for info for days now to learn as much as I could on the transfer cases and different set ups and it definitely paid off. Thanks to everyone for the help and info supplied. I just had my week made for me.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 06-09-2007 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:53 PM   #34
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I really should get the axles also, the rear I'm almost positive is a 14 bolt. The front I couldn't ID because its buried in the itch weed (hate that stuff). The problem for me is that it would add to my costs for the axles, plus wheels, tires and whatever cost in misc. parts to switch them. But at least I know they are there. There are probably 3 or 4 of the rear axles out there, but I think this was the only 4x4 like it there.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:25 AM   #35
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Another part of this build is cost reduction. To that end I have been selling parts that came with it I don't need.

I have also been scrounging a bit looking for the missing pieces. I remembered another blazer at a junkyard not too far away.
Here's an offer:

PM me a list of smallish parts/pieces your looking for and if I have some of em in my 'over-flow' stash their yours.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:08 AM   #36
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer View Post
Here's an offer:

PM me a list of smallish parts/pieces your looking for and if I have some of em in my 'over-flow' stash their yours.
Thank you! Once it starts getting bolted back together, I'm sure things I hadn't thought of will arise. I appreciate it.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:22 PM   #37
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

I'm enjoying your build up, keep it coming.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:17 PM   #38
70rs/ss

Get the 3/4 ton stuff from that truck, you may consider buying it complete and using everything (Buying it all may save you some $$$ in long run) The front is an 8-lug dana 44 and the rear is a 14 bolt or dana 60. it'll add some strength to the Blazer. he may sell you the whole truck for 6-800 and that'll include the drivetrain stuff, axles, drivesafts, trans, transfer, etc, etc.

Good Luck!!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:03 PM   #39
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Went out to a new yard (for me) today. It was kind of sad really. They had more 67-72 chevy trucks than I had ever seen before, but most were either too picked over to matter or just didn't have much useable. At least for me. I found ONE K-5 Jimmy, double wall top (ok), not much else, but it did have the cross member and motor mounts I needed, $42.60. I did find a good fender and sub 3rd door, but left them there because I am doing the best I can to stick with my plan. It was a 69-72 chevy fender, so wouldn't work on the Jimmy, and I had just replaced the fender on my 71, so it will go to the next deserving owner.

I did not get to finish my hatch this past weekend, nor will I get to it next weekend because of the grad party schedule. If I'm lucky, I'll at least get my short block to the machine shop to get it checked out for useability.

Cost so far, 442.60 minus $18 for parts sold for a grand total of $ 424.00. I haven't picked up the tranny and transfer case yet, so I'll add it to the bill when I do.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:51 PM   #40
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Did some more sanding on the hatch. It's looking pretty good. I started looking over the handle area though and saw some work that needed done. With the hole in the side, and the little cover gone from below the handle, seems the mice found it to be quite a nifty little home. Turns out mouse pee is kind of corrosive. The steel plate that supports the handle was rusting and had pushed itself away from the fiberglass wall. Some of the rivets were corroded off. So I drilled them all out, got the plate moving to knock the rust off, took out the latch from one side and spent some time heaving the thing up, down, sideways, etc to shake out about half a cup of droppings and the nest. There is a little clip that holds the latch rod into the handle that was missing. I thought I'd never find one, but turns out they are the same thing they use for carb linkages, $1.00. New rivets, $1.00. Found a garage door handle at Menards for $6.00. Just need to finish the sanding/filling and spray some rattle can on it.

Also dropped my block and crank off at the machine shop. I'll find out next week if its useable. He said the cam wear looked normal and it should be ok for use with new lifters. Of course, if this was going to be a daily driver or if my budget was a bit looser, I'd put all new stuff in. But this build is what it is.

Total spent so far $430.00.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:54 PM   #41
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

i liek this kinda build..i love to see the builds with moeny to do it right..i admire the work that some put into it..but being on a budget, im lucky to get a motor for a truck inside of 6 months..this is my kinda build..peronally i wouldnt worry about the body work..get it running, make it safe, wheel it till it quits...with it already having dents and dings in it,,you dont have to worry about it if you slide in to a rock or tree..lol
billy
Old 06-15-2007, 08:18 PM   #42
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GMC454 View Post
i liek this kinda build....this is my kinda build..peronally i wouldnt worry about the body work..get it running, make it safe, wheel it till it quits...with it already having dents and dings in it,,you dont have to worry about it if you slide in to a rock or tree..lol
billy
Some body work can't really be ignored, like lack of a door and floor, but I have low cost options that will come out later.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:42 AM   #43
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Out on the road this week, so no work getting done. But there is something to report. Sold another part, so my expenditures went down another $40, for a total spent of $390.

On another and much more important note. I may have gotten just a little bit of support from my wife. When I told her I bought this beater, she was not happy. And that's putting it very mildly. At every opportunity, she would give me a dig on it. After a while, I had enough and put an end to the comments, but didn't change her mind.

This past weekend, 2 things happened that tells me she's coming around. She told me that if I got the soffits finished on the garage, she didn't care what I did the rest of the summer. Then we went to my nieces grad party where my brother-in-law also hosted a minor mud run.(see pictures in the 4x4 section) We hung out to watch and she started asking me about what I was going to do with my Jimmy. Things like, "Is this what your going to do with it?", or "You could probably go through this stuff" and the grand finale was "You should get yours ready for the next mud run".

That won't happen, but it was nice to get the turn around. She has also seen me selling pieces and parts, etc. to keep my spending low and has commented on that. I also overheard her talking to her dad and bragging about me doing the body work on my 71 cab. I probably won't make this years mud run, but next year I think I'll be getting it very wet and dirty.

Having the support of your spouse is a huge deal. Most of you know what I mean.

I should find out tomorrow if the block and crank are good or not. That will give me the info I need for the next parts list. Back to the 50's show in St Paul this weekend, might have to make it sunday for the swap meet.

Mike

Last edited by hgs_notes; 06-20-2007 at 12:46 AM.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:09 PM   #44
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Being on the road overnight is sometimes a good thing. I checked out a junkyard in Wisconsin this morning. He had one 1st gen Jimmy. Took a look and it was a complete truck missing only the grill, radiator and rad support. The rear seat was gone, but not completely, the arm rests were there. Oh and the the rear side panels were now wood paneling. Anyway, the good stuff. I am getting the driveshafts, chrome rear step bumper, parchment seats and console, PS pump/brackets/hoses, door edge seals, and the floor tranny hump for a whopping $150.00. I am also going to check on the transfer case, adapter, door panels, rear drums and whatever else I can think of I need in the next couple weeks.

You guys have any pointers on things I should get for resale? I will post picks of it later. I was thinking about the rocker box rear end plates. The spare holder, rear seat hold downs were gone. The gas tank was a homemade deal. The body looks better than what I have just because it isn't all banged up, but still mostly un-useable because of rust. Top is OK, hatch is there but not too good of shape and missing the handle.

I also talked to the machinist and found out the crank will be ok with just a polish. The block is bored 40 over and very little taper. He said it should hone out. He'll cook it up, hone it and install freeze plugs and cam bearings. So now it's time to start searching for deals on heads, lifters, push rods, oil fuel and water pumps, rings, bearings and gaskets, dizzy and wires, hoses, etc.

If anyone has some of these items they would like to get rid of, please let me know. It's been a long couple of days, almost 700 miles on the road and I got another 460 or so to do tomorrow. Its time for
Old 06-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #45
71swb4x4

The retainers for the rear side panels are worth a little. Those six brackets that attach to the inner bed side.
The top caps on the doors if they are good.
Of course the rear seat hold downs if they are there.
Carpet strips.
Windshield frame would bring a few hundred if it's rust free.
Single wall tops are worth good money - $150 at the bottom, but they go up much higher depending on the buyer.
Transfer case shift knob
Old 06-23-2007, 10:10 AM   #46
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

This project may be taking a huge swing in another direction. Seems I MAY have talked the junkyard into selling me the whole Jimmy. It's another 72, but like I said above, mostly complete and in way better condition than what I'm starting with now. I'll post picks later.

If this happens, I will build one good Jimmy between the two and sell every single piece I can that's left over. If I'm lucky, and persistent on stripping and selling parts, I may have a driveable, halfway decent Jimmy for nothing, nada, zippo. I may even have money left over for upgrades. Who knows. It's real hard not to get ahead of myself here. The enthusiasm is growing. I should have an answer from the yard later today or Monday at the latest.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:44 AM   #47
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Photobucket is slower than hell today. But here are some picks of the potential new Jimmy. I'll get the parts I need at the very least. The truck if I'm lucky. It will be a lot easier to transfer the pieces from mine to this one than vise-versa. I may be cruising topless sooner than I thought. I'll have more details on my plans once it's known whether it's mine or not.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:14 AM   #48
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

Thats a fine lookin' Jimmy.... I wonder what kind of shape the floorboards and rocker boxes are in.

My Build
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:33 PM   #49
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

How can someone put a jimmy like that in the death yard????

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:22 PM   #50
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 View Post
How can someone put a jimmy like that in the death yard????
Exactly what I was thinking.