The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2016, 10:28 PM   #1
71swb4x4

replace front NP205 seals with transfer case in truck

I am swapping engines in my 71 Blazer. It sat for about 15 years, and now that I have driven it I have leaks all over. I am sure seals have dried out. While the engine is out I want to replace the seals between the transmission and the transfer case. Can I do it with the transfer case in place? My thought:
Put transmission (TH350) on jack, unbolt it from transfer case, unbolt linkage, and slide trans forward.
Remove adapter from transfer case.
Replace O-rings and seals in adapter, install new gasket between adapter and transfer case and then put everything back together.
Is that doable?
Old 09-06-2016, 10:27 AM   #2
bhayes1

Re: replace front NP205 seals with transfer case in truck

I'm curious to see what the seasoned members around here have to say on this. I just replaced the seals in my NP205 and removed the T-Case from the truck. The adapter that fits between the T-Case and TH350, I had to machine a piece to press both of the seals into it with a press (they fit pretty tight). Once the seals were in I bolted it back up to the tranny, put the sleeve inside of the adapter and stabbed the T-Case. Hope there is any easier way for you, but I couldn't think of any or find any info on it. There is a wealth of info on rebuilding the NP205 but not much that address these two seals specifically.
bhayes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:03 PM   #3
kwmech

My first thought is that the assy is going to be a wobbly anyways without the engine, second the t-case weighs just as much as the transmission. Sliding that off and trying to balance everything at the same time is going to be a challenge
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:45 PM   #4
obijuan

Pull the case. Set that heavy bastard on the bench.
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:17 PM   #5
undertaker72

are you talking about the seals to the transfer case adapter , best and safest way is remove case completely out of road , then unbolt marriage coupler or adapter housing replace seals and gaskets , lots safer and not as wobbly like some other comments also , if auto trans some have 2 seals back to back , then coupler sleeve then one seal , unless your just talking output seals on drive shafts , then its just pull yokes and seals , but you can get a complete seal gasket set for around 30 and just freshen it all up good as new and purrrrdddddiiiiiieeeeeee lol
1969 Camaro hugger orange hounds tooth
undertaker72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:41 AM   #6
71swb4x4

I got it done! I did most of the work from the top. It's so easy working with the trans hump off. I removed the adapter several hours ago, replaced the seals, and finished reinstalling it a little bit ago. The transmission is under the truck and ready to slide back into place. That should get done tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:22 AM   #7
71swb4x4

Picture of t-case in truck with no adapter. The key here was the skid plate, the transfer case dang near lays on that skid plate. With a small piece of wood I was able to take the pressure off the adapter and get it all detached. New seals are in, adapter is back in.

Also a picture of great job packing seals by Torque King 4x4.
Attached Images