The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2020, 09:21 AM   #176
13jraven

Re: 1976 CCSB Duramax Project #trucknamedsue

You guys need to check out his Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/thegr8dustino/

The detail is insane. I am a good welder and can fab and I am speechless.

I am currently working on a 79 K35 CCLB with a LMM/ally/NV271F and found him on IG. My truck is dark carmine (71) & white with a carmine red interior. Came factory with a 6.6 400ci so a 6.6 402ci duramax would be a badass swap.
Attached Images

Last edited by 13jraven; 09-23-2020 at 09:26 AM.
13jraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:20 AM   #177
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13jraven View Post

I am currently working on a 79 K35 CCLB with a LMM/ally/NV271F and found him on IG. My truck is dark carmine (71) & white with a carmine red interior. Came factory with a 6.6 400ci so a 6.6 402ci duramax would be a badass swap.
No offense intended, but IG has very limited value most of the time other than seeing pictures. These forum build threads are more of a Blog/storyboard of the work involved in making someone's idea come to life.

I've seen the IG stuff. The content here was 100x better & informative.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:35 AM   #178
daddyjeep

Awesome... Thanks for the update.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:52 PM   #179
13jraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
No offense intended, but IG has very limited value most of the time other than seeing pictures. These forum build threads are more of a Blog/storyboard of the work involved in making someone's idea come to life.

I've seen the IG stuff. The content here was 100x better & informative.
No offense taken and I could not agree more. But I figured since he has finished the truck and not posted an update here, others who are not put off by Instagram would like to see it finished.
13jraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:46 PM   #180
SCOTI

Quote:
No offense taken and I could not agree more. But I figured since he has finished the truck and not posted an update here, others who are not put off by Instagram would like to see it finished.
I'm on IG & not "put off" by it but it just doesn't have the content & sometimes valuable insight/info provided (same as FB 'groups'). It's weird because I've asked specific questions on various stuff posted (not to 'thegr8dustino'). I might get a 'LIKE' for my question, but no answer for the question. WTF? What good does 'liking' someone's question do w/o any answer? Even if it's an "I don't know"....

It's cool to know this build is farther along from seeing it posted but I didn't think it's 'finished' yet & miss the details as he's progressed.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 09-23-2020, 01:52 PM   #181
SCOTI

Quote:

Post up some details on your build. Looks interesting
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-24-2020, 10:36 PM   #182
83GMCK2500

Quote:
I'm on IG & not "put off" by it but it just doesn't have the content & sometimes valuable insight/info provided (same as FB 'groups'). It's weird because I've asked specific questions on various stuff posted (not to 'thegr8dustino'). I might get a 'LIKE' for my question, but no answer for the question. WTF? What good does 'liking' someone's question do w/o any answer? Even if it's an "I don't know"....

It's cool to know this build is farther along from seeing it posted but I didn't think it's 'finished' yet & miss the details as he's progressed.
100% agree, I've noticed that with the increased popularity of the groups on facebook there is very little thought put into the content. Most people just post a question that has been hashed out 100x (1,000x, 10,000x) over on forums over the years. If they only knew how much great information and experience there is to be found on forums.

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050
1997 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4, Z71/F44, EC/SB, Vortec 350

My Introduction with my '83s History
New Daily, the '96
83GMCK2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:37 PM   #183
83GMCK2500

Quote:

As scoti said, please start a build thread and share all your trials and successes as you've been building your truck.

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050
1997 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4, Z71/F44, EC/SB, Vortec 350

My Introduction with my '83s History
New Daily, the '96
83GMCK2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:53 PM   #184
LT7A

Can you PM on IG? Somebody let him know that there's a lot of enthusiasm over here waiting for updates. RADustin, the truck is looking great. Hope to be filled in on the rest of the story.

Last edited by LT7A; 09-26-2020 at 01:15 PM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:01 PM   #185
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Can you PM on IG? Somebody let him know that there's a lot of enthusiasm over here waiting for updates. To the point that somebody else posted the installation of their transmission hump?!? I guess to show how they did it?
Yes, you can DM someone there. I'll do that & see if it helps.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-26-2020, 02:59 PM   #186
LT7A

Quote:
Yes, you can DM someone there. I'll do that & see if it helps.
Thanks SCOTI. You quoted me before I edited my post. I think that transmission hump post was a repost with a question added at the bottom.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:00 PM   #187
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Thanks SCOTI. You quoted me before I edited my post. I think that transmission hump post was a repost with a question added at the bottom.
I tried messaging him earlier but it wouldn't go through. I just sent him a message & it appears to have went through this round.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-28-2020, 07:45 AM   #188
LT7A

Cool, well hopefully he'll see that he's still got a loyal following over here. I need to pop on my IG account every now and again. But I would rather spend my time here and get more in-depth information.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:17 PM   #189
RADustin

Man! I didn't realize there was this much interest over here. I have a ton of pics I can add, that are not posted over on IG.

It is true, the truck is running/driving and has about 1000miles on it. But, I can go back in time and continue this thread from where I left off. It is alot, so maybe I'll try to keep the updates small and frequent until caught up. The big updates get really annoying because the hosting website re-orders all of them during the upload.

I'll get you guys updated.

1976 GMC Sierra Classic C35 CCSB
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...25#post8188825
RADustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:19 PM   #190
RADustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedbird View Post

Where did you get the back half of the 4x4 tunnel?

I need to make my 2wd floor a 4wd so the transmission will fit.
not sure if you're still looking but my goto dude for original parts is Jeff; azpartslocator. He's on the board here. He zipped the piece out of a donor and mailed it to me, and I cleaned it up and installed it.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:16 PM   #191
RADustin

Picking up where I left off-

I cut off the LB7 water neck and machined it to fit the LML water pump housing. Then welded it all up. This is so I can use off the shelf LB7 hoses.

Look at how much shorter the engine became with the LB7 parts:

vs LML parts-

The factory LML low pressure fuel lines run under the turbo and are kind of annoying. I redid everything to delete the factory filter housing and lines. Both the low pressure feed and return needed some special T fittings. So I ended up buying some 304ss JIC and nipple parts and cutting/welding as needed to make the lines as best I could.

fitting weld setup. fully back purged to keep it clean inside.

first setup of ac fitting adapters I tried. But they would be too tall-

I drew and machined (and later remachined) a heater hose adapter for the LB7 coolant neck. This goes straight to AN.

started dreaming up the induction side of things to clear everything. The turbo mouthpiece and y-bridge adapter will be multi-axis CNC from aluminum and coated black. Not sure if mentioned, but I'm running an SDP 5-axis y-bridge for LML.

printed a bunch of iterations of the mouthpiece. It mates to the turbo, hooks a turn, offsets, and expands in diameter and in one fluid cross-section.

transfer pump mounted to the frame. with integral stainless heat shield. I think I posted the 3d printed bracket before. So the plastic 3d print went to a bent piece of carbon steel to the frame. And a stainless shield bolts on, with heat reflection on that. Stainless doesn't like to conduct heat, so it works as a good shield.

ABS module mounted on the frame. used the factory LML truck bracket and welded tabs on it, since it floats on this bracket in rubber. I don't think I got a piece of it final cleaned up, but it was and powdered satin black.

Lift Pump mounted inside the drivers rail, close to the tank-

installed the slip yoke eliminator.

Last edited by RADustin; 12-23-2020 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-23-2020, 04:27 PM   #192
RADustin

sorry about picture size, I'll work on getting future uploads right..

after I machined the rear hub bores and sleeved them, I had to redrill the pattern. Luckily a friend of a friend builds top fuel dragsters and let me borrow his jig-bore bridgeport for the afternoon.

Put the hubs in a nice rotary table, lined up everything and piloted, drilled, spot faced, and reamed each hole in the gaps of the existing holes.

I didn't control the spot face depth well, on purpose, so to make all the studs fit the same I machined individual thickness spacers for each spot. The lugs normally fit through the reinforcement ribs on the hubs. Since they are in the gaps now, I needed to make up this thickness.

all installed and on the truck. I had to make new ABS tone rings as well, 60 tooth instead of 48. I'm not sure I have pictures of this handy. If anyone wants to see how I made them, I can dig.

machined a plug to plug up the factory oil return from the pcv filter. I had to ditch the pcv filter to clear my tie bar on the coil buckets.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:45 PM   #193
RADustin

cover some sheet metal fab on the cab.

Pictures the blast guy sent me-

the cab came back super nice. Minimum rust, rockers were perfect. Little bit in the cowl and a few pin holes in the floor board and one spot in the roof.

with cab removed I planned out what I wanted the firewall to look like.

3D scanned everything and drew in the fillers I wanted, using a simple AC bulkhead. I want symmetry side to side without doing much to the drivers side. So adding in some beads at the top would do that. I also wanted it to look very stock when done, with panel overlaps and visible spot welds. I'll get more into this later.

started working on some patches-

The upper piece is just beads, so I bought some dies and ran them myself.

The ac buckhead was mounted by stamping the sheet metal. So I made a stamp, and popped it out.

starting to take shape- I wanted to leave the factory seams and wrinkles in the firewall. Again, I wanted a very 'stock' look.

regarding the ac bulkhead, I wanted to use AN fittings for the heater lines. I'm not a fan of ac fittings for this, so I machined some AN bulkheads to fit in the bulkhead plate. Worked pretty cool.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:00 PM   #194
RADustin

as seen above, I ended up cutting out the outer and inner cowl panel on the passenger side. I'm using the haymaker AC from restomod. Its massive, and I didn't want it in the center of the dash. To make room, I pocketed the passenger kick panel and cut out the fresh air vent and everything. This opened up a ton of space.

nice box it arrives in-

pictures of the pocket forming-

ac evap mounts-

took a break on the firewall for a bit. The main big panel I wanted deep beads in, so I sent drawings to a guy out in Utah and he ran the piece on his pullmax. This took a little time. So I moved on to mounting up the condenser and the transmission cooler to the core support. Alot of tweaks to get this fit and behind the grill.

used an LML transcooler and will hang it off the bottom of the core support between the frame rails, behind the bumper.

I wanted to use the 2014 wiper motor so it worked with the 2014 BCM and such later, for 7 speed wipers. Made a bracket and adapter for this-

this machined adapter bolts with the motor and pokes thru the firewall in a grommet.

installed, you can also see the 2014 wire grommet hole I installed in the '76 firewall.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:11 PM   #195
RADustin

Tackled filled the transmission tunnel hole. To get ready for my lokar shifter.

started working on the doors. My doors were rusty. I wanted to patch them prior to blasting in some spots to make it easier to me later, and so the patch panels were all sealed in the epoxy.

test fit some skins on the front doors, they looked ok.

always premeasure the window opening.

with the 2014 cab vents, the door vents got filled. Lots of work over 4 doors.

getting the front door skins off

I cut the bottom out of one of the doors, but it isn't in this upload. Catch it shortly.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:20 PM   #196
RADustin

at some point I got tired of waiting for the firewall panel to come in, so I put the cab back on. This allowed me to work on some underhood fabrication.

one of the first things was to get the inner fenders fit around the coilovers. With how cheap repo panels were, I cut a huge hole in the passenger side one, made a template, then correctly recut another passenger piece and the driver side.

then started on intercooling piping. It's all aluminum, with bead formed ends. Lots of bends but they can be installed or removed without touching anything else.

again, starting at the bottom most layer of stuff under the hood, I then went to the washer fluid tank. Which will be below the passenger battery. Press broke up some aluminum, added a tube and a machined bung/cap.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:56 PM   #197
daddyjeep

Thanks for thinking of us over here. I know forums aren't the cool thing anymore, but they are still relevant and fantastic resources.

Fantastic work as always
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:10 PM   #198
RADustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
Thanks for thinking of us over here. I know forums aren't the cool thing anymore, but they are still relevant and fantastic resources.

Fantastic work as always
haha, the build threads are very useful. Especially for the builder. I go back and look at my '49 build every now and again trying to remember how I did something.

biggest PITA with forums is getting the pictures uploaded and hosted. Where IG is just shoot and post. But I'll try to keep adding pictures on a normal basis. Out of time for today.

Yall let me know if I passed over something too quick, for every pic I post I probably have 5 more still on my phone.

Old 12-23-2020, 06:22 PM   #199
tinydb84

Man the level of detail and skill here is so great.
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:54 PM   #200
SCOTI

x2.

Sofa-king cool!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG