The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2018, 04:05 AM   #1
MiraclePieCo

Why?

Working on these old trucks, you typically find lots of evidence of previous owners' repair efforts, many done less than professionally. Others done in what had to be a state of total inebriation. Take my grille for example: why would anyone use a torch to remove bolts, which actually just come out easily with a wrench, thus ruining about half the mounting holes? And why would someone not mask off the chrome grille bars when painting the back of the grille instead of just blasting over-spray all over the chrome?

And I can't imagine what was going on in anyone's mind when they did this customization on my front splash apron; I don't even know how you could accomplish such a feat:
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2018, 09:42 AM   #2
mikebte

Re: Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Working on these old trucks, you typically find lots of evidence of previous owners' repair efforts, many done less than professionally. Others done in what had to be a state of total inebriation. Take my grille for example: why would anyone use a torch to remove bolts, which actually just come out easily with a wrench, thus ruining about half the mounting holes? And why would someone not mask off the chrome grille bars when painting the back of the grille instead of just blasting over-spray all over the chrome?

And I can't imagine what was going on in anyone's mind when they did this customization on my front splash apron; I don't even know how you could accomplish such a feat:
Weight reduction, was trying to get as much speed as possible but maintain a little protection from the elements.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #3
e015475

These trucks were not always the prized possession they are now.

In the mid sixties. my dad bought a fifty four Chevy truck at a government auction for two hundred dollars to haul trash to the dump. He taught me to drive in it. He parked it out back of the house where nobody would see it. The two year old sixty seven pickup sat in the carport at the front of the house.

Most of these old trucks probably were not insured past basic liability and when they got in an accident they were patched back together as cheaply as possible.

In high school, a lot of kids had old Chevy and Ford pickups The things they did to those trucks to be 'cool' was pretty gruesome.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:33 AM   #4
PDW HOTRODS

Also the trucks were for work. Farmers, ranchers, loggers, ect worked on them, not just mechanics. They may not know how to fix, or just in a hurry to get it working again.
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:01 PM   #5
Dan in Pasadena

MiraclePieCo - I don't know your age but it sounds like you're either just venting or you're too young to relate to trucks being NOT a daily-drive-around-thinking-you're-cool kind of vehicle. They were strictly a work tool like a pressure washer or a lawn mower is today.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:50 PM   #6
MARTINSR

Quote:

Were they "just tools" at one time, sure they were, but I don't give a damn that is MORONIC HACK work be it a tool or a classic car that is HACK work.

I grew up with farm land around me and I know of no one who did hack work like that. Was if "function over form" yeah, but not that bad.

"Why" is a damn good question.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:40 PM   #7
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
MiraclePieCo - I don't know your age but it sounds like you're either just venting or you're too young to relate to trucks being NOT a daily-drive-around-thinking-you're-cool kind of vehicle. They were strictly a work tool like a pressure washer or a lawn mower is today.
Sorry, but I wouldn't treat ANY TOOL or mechanical object, no matter how old, cheap or insignificant, with the callous, incompetent butchery that I see displayed on these trucks.

But then again, that may be why my lawnmower is still going strong after 25 years.

Old 07-14-2018, 04:50 PM   #8
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

Quote:
Dan, remind me to never buy a used lawn mower from you, lol!

Its been my observation that many of the hack jobs done on these old trucks actually took more effort than just doing the job right in the first place.
Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:13 PM   #9
Matt_50

Jesse Z, I've wondered how much time and effort went into the bondo sculpting I've seen. 1 1/2 inch thick bondo sculpted and sanded.... large areas of my bronco was "fixed" like that.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:03 PM   #10
e015475

"Sorry, but I wouldn't treat ANY TOOL or mechanical object, no matter how old, cheap or insignificant, with the callous, incompetent butchery that I see displayed on these trucks."

Maybe you wouldn't but these truck were tools, and disposable tools at that, and a lot of people used and abused them.

I found a bit of lead in my fenders when I had mine stripped - probably done when the truck was pretty new or to fix shipping damage to the dealer. Later in its life somebody put a tachometer in the dash by cutting the hole with a cold chisel and a pair of pliers.

Thick bondo is a sign that someone doing the repair was earning minimum wage and lacked the skill to repair it correctly. This is what happens when the truck isn't worth that much money when the repair was done. On modern cars, nobody repairs panels anymore they just replace them.

I've seen inexpensive cars in used car lots where they've spray painted over clumps of dirt thrown up by the tires.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:19 PM   #11
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_50 View Post
Jesse Z, I've wondered how much time and effort went into the bondo sculpting I've seen. 1 1/2 inch thick bondo sculpted and sanded.... large areas of my bronco was "fixed" like that.
LOL, when I chopped my truck at 16 I had an inch an a half of bondo, literally, I measured it years later. I put 2 gallons of Ditzler 999 before I touched it with sandpaper. LOL

Brian
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #12
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by e015475 View Post
"Sorry, but I wouldn't treat ANY TOOL or mechanical object, no matter how old, cheap or insignificant, with the callous, incompetent butchery that I see displayed on these trucks."

Maybe you wouldn't but these truck were tools, and disposable tools at that, and a lot of people used and abused them.

I bought a car with bald tires and I had new wheels/tires but under the centercaps were locking lug nuts. I didnt think twice, I pounded every 21mm socket I had (3, and a 7/8 socket on the last one) over the locking lugs and twisted them off. 4 sockets cost less than the replacement key I wouldnt have used afterwards and the 2 minute solution was right there in my toolbox. Maybe in 60 years someone will find those sockets in the dump and wonder why I was so wasteful.

I dont know why someone carved up your air director but I bet it saved time. looks like a wolverine has been gnawing at it!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:44 PM   #13
vintovka

When I needed to do the chassis swap on mine i had neither the time, skill or tools at hand. Time was short and i was working under an oak tree in a pasture. I did not know how to get the steering line and exhaust through the fender skirts. All I had was a few hand tools, some 2x6s and cutting torch and so it went. Replacement skirts solved the problem when time and finances allowed.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:46 PM   #14
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
I bought a car with bald tires and I had new wheels/tires but under the centercaps were locking lug nuts. I didnt think twice, I pounded every 21mm socket I had (3, and a 7/8 socket on the last one) over the locking lugs and twisted them off. 4 sockets cost less than the replacement key I wouldnt have used afterwards and the 2 minute solution was right there in my toolbox. Maybe in 60 years someone will find those sockets in the dump and wonder why I was so wasteful.

I dont know why someone carved up your air director but I bet it saved time. looks like a wolverine has been gnawing at it!
A month after my locking lugs had to be torched off i found the special socket right where put it 20 years ago --duh!
Old 07-14-2018, 11:11 PM   #15
evilokc

side note guys. I have a pretty nice original lower batwing on my parts truck if you need it.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #16
Softpatch

Quote:

...................WHY.?.................
t
Just imagine being a thousand miles from nowhere and the Radiator in your truck gets wiped out....
(Probable before Cell Phone or most phones for that matter)

You find another Radiator that will get you home but is a bit taller then your truck Radiator was .
You have a pair of old rust Nips,Screwdriver, a Pliers and a Hammer

......and just the thought Nobody is Coming to help you anytime soon.
It's all you..
You are not going to walk out.
As you are heading home the Motor blew and you tow/push it the last Mile,Yard,Feet
and there it sits it's final rusting spot.

Wrong radiator "Bad hack Job" Blown motor

..............Sometimes you do the best with what you have
and hope for the best.!..............Sp

1966 C-20 .....Swap 91 G-30(5.7 FI)/4L80E
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=789617
59 Viking Revival .. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632341
Softpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:55 PM   #17
mr48chev

That torched apron was probably cut because it was in the way when someone without the right equipment was pulling the engine and couldn't lift it high enough.

I've been given a few of these trucks over the years because guys knew that I worked on them and had mine and I have bought several for as little as 25.00 with title an some of them were real hack jobs. Scabbed on flat bar for motor mounts, frames hacked up to clear odd ball engines, scabbed on subframe on one that had a weld crack when we put the truck on a lift to see what it looked like from the bottom side.

My own body work on my cab done in 1980 gives Martinsr's a run for it's money on the back cab corners that have rust spots showing though where the bondo has lifted now. That was the result of a severe lack of patience and always being in a hurry back then.

In the 50's, 60's and 70's it was the norm to cut off a piece of metal with the torch and then maybe hit it a few licks with the grinder before welding it on you project. It was also common to take the torch to something that was in the way but might not show after it was back together because it was in the way. Add to that some of the trucks we are building now have been sitting since way back when when someone jerked the engine out to put it in something else and they weren't kind to the truck when they pulled it out.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:20 PM   #18
vintovka

My poor work was probably inexcusable but i should add trying to avoid the cow pies and having the resident barn cat sleep on my stomach when underneath the truck did not help. One also must take in consideration that much of what we now consider "gold" was considered "junk" back when and treated accordingly.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:19 PM   #19
capnduane

Funny stuff! My truck had been "fixed" by previous owners to keep it running with so many innovative ways, I should have taken pics for posterity! Lets see, from the hardware store barrel bolts to keep the doors closed, cause handles and latches were worn out) to the 'custom' steering wheel held on with 3/8 lag bolts, and the 4x4 wood blocks to adapt seats to cab with more: (you guessed it) lag bolts! No headlights or taillights.... Must say the guy I bought it from gave me a bed full of brand new parts and nice sheet metal to get me started. I fell in love with the old '55 TF and worked on it most every day for 3 months, to get it on the road, and have been driving it these last 5 years. Its been very dependable and fun to drive. I guess I owe the POs a big thank you for enabling me to aquire this great truck, had any of them taken the time and effort to fix it up, I would probably would not have been able to end up with it.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2018, 08:07 PM   #20
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Z View Post
Dan, remind me to never buy a used lawn mower from you, lol!

Its been my observation that many of the hack jobs done on these old trucks actually took more effort than just doing the job right in the first place.
Ha ha, nah I'm just like you guys. I WASH my lawn mower every week after I finish, then spritz it with an aerosol wax and wipe it dry. Yeah, a sick mind.

My '55 had over 50 holes in the firewall. I just shook my head and stopped counting when we were repairing them all. Just ridiculous what was done to most of these trucks.
Attached Images

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:27 PM   #21
MARTINSR

Quote:
Ha ha, nah I'm just like you guys. I WASH my lawn mower every week after I finish, then spritz it with an aerosol wax and wipe it dry. Yeah, a sick mind.

My '55 had over 50 holes in the firewall. I just shook my head and stopped counting when we were repairing them all. Just ridiculous what was done to most of these trucks.
Most are stock though! I am leaving all the stock ones in my firewall, just because. But I am blown away at how many are stock. It was COVERED in holes, random crazy holes. I thought I would be filling a bunch of them then started looking at stock firewalls on the net and found that all but about 6 of them were original!

Miraclepie I forgot mine is cut up too, just not crazy hack like yours. But yeah, I think they stuck the radiator out front at some point and cut it up. I am thinking I am going to want to replace it or at the very least weld a patch in there. But I am REALLY looking at ways to avoid work so I probably will replace it if I come up with a nice one for a decent buck.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2018, 07:21 AM   #22
1project2many

I get picked on for carefully removing parts from a car that I know is going to be crushed. I figure there's always a chance someone could see the car before it's crushed and need one more part from it. In the case of your panel that's a bit extreme. But plenty of people just don't care when a vehicle's banished to the junk pile. If folks get fired up when a problem is going to be right in front of them, they do just the opposite when they know it's going to be someone else's nightmare.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:40 AM   #23
dieseldude4bt

It is easy to avoid this kind of PO hackery!
Look at the vehicle before you buy if you can't deal with it.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:47 PM   #24
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldude4bt View Post
It is easy to avoid this kind of PO hackery!
Look at the vehicle before you buy if you can't deal with it.
Tough to find any period vehicles or parts anymore much less un Bubbaed ones. Went to all the yards within a 100 mile radius. NO ADs, NO NFs and 2 square bodies. The scrap metal prices used to be so high older trucks went fast
Old 07-30-2018, 03:20 PM   #25
jweb

Probably a little late but I have an extra one if you need it. I just noticed your in Oregon.

I also have a hood emblem that someone used bondo to hold the fasteners, It's not pretty but works. You can have either one if your ever around Salem/Albany area. Sorry I thought your location was New Jersey or I would have offered sooner.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote