The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2017, 09:16 PM   #1
SuperChief

Circuit Breaker as a distribution block/stud

Can a Stud Style Circuit Breaker be used as a power distribution block?Name:  circuit breaker.png
Views: 151
Size:  9.1 KB
SuperChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
lsversaw

Re: Circuit Breaker as a distribution block/stud

Yes, it will make a dandy distribution block. The terminals are pretty exposed, and vulnerable to accidental short to ground from a wrench or belt buckle. To avoid shorts, I would cut the studs as short as practical, and cover the exposed part of the stud with a plastic cap or "liquid electrical tape" or plastidip.
lsversaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #3
SuperChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsversaw View Post
Yes, it will make a dandy distribution block. The terminals are pretty exposed, and vulnerable to accidental short to ground from a wrench or belt buckle. To avoid shorts, I would cut the studs as short as practical, and cover the exposed part of the stud with a plastic cap or "liquid electrical tape" or plastidip.
Thank you, especially 'short to ground' advice. I will be using it of course for the alternator and an MSD Ignition Box and possibly for a source for other things. Question is if it is a 40AMP breaker I will need to fuse the alternator down to 30AMP and the ignition box to 20AMP. Can I put the battery feed on the gold post and all others fused on the silver post as a 'fusible link is required on the alt wire which I plan to used a 'fused' link instead.? I hope my confidence is gaining.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:20 PM   #4
lsversaw

I like the idea of 20A and 30A fuses to the ignition box and alternator. The 40A breaker will protect all of the wiring downstream from it's location. In addition, if the alternator fuse, alone, blows because of an alternator wiring fault, you will still have ignition until your battery runs out of juice.

However...First, I am not as knowledgeable about the required fault protection as others here (VetteVet, are you listening? Gmachinz?) Secondly, by wiring direct from the alternator to the battery -- bypassing the main junction point described in other current posts -- you are disabling the ammeter gauge functionality. Maybe that's OK.

I suggest you read recent posts by Mick Je and OregonNed, if you haven't already. Then post back here with a description of your proposed battery/alternator wiring and get comments from the group about the overall plan.

Good luck and stick with it. We'll help you figure it out. Especially those other, smarter guys.
lsversaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:52 PM   #5
SuperChief

I looked at those posts. Vettevet had a good schematic. it has a gen/reg vice alternator but I will use it for good reference. MSD box requires a hot wire. I am eliminating the fusible link thinking I would rather replace a fuse and not have to further cobble up the wiring. A common distribution block is a lot more expensive than a circuit breaker. I hope to get my electrical straightened out, then on to carb and column shifter probs.
Attached Images

Last edited by SuperChief; 05-09-2017 at 12:06 AM.