The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2017, 03:43 AM   #1
Man With A Gun

Removal of rear view mirror mount?

Is it possible to remove it?

Either the factory or a previous owner mounted it in the wrong location. The sun visors hit it and bump it out of place.

Maybe there's some sort of release agent for the cement or is there a trick to knocking it loose without breaking the windshield?

I'm in FL so I could get a new one thru insurance if it breaks... so I'm not shy about trying to remove it. There's already a small rock chip that's near, but not quite in my field of vision so the insurance should cover a replacement of I wanted it.

All standard cabs
Man With A Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:52 AM   #2
TKCR

Re: Removal of rear view mirror mount?

Go to YouTube and type in Removing rear view mirror. All kinds of how to videos come back.

Use YouTube for any of your how to's. It has helped me out with a ton of things on my truck.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #3
retrax

I found one a while back which showed heating the base with a hand held butane torch for about 60 seconds and lightly pulling it off with a channel lock, then using a razor blade to get rid of the excess.
retrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:04 AM   #4
Man With A Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrax View Post
I found one a while back which showed heating the base with a hand held butane torch for about 60 seconds and lightly pulling it off with a channel lock, then using a razor blade to get rid of the excess.
Thanks, I'll try that.

All standard cabs
Old 12-21-2017, 12:35 PM   #5
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man With A Gun View Post
Thanks, I'll try that.
I think the 1st video that popped up on YouTube, was that of using a butane torch.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:53 PM   #6
rgunlock

Remount the mirror and lightly bump it - should pop the mount right off. Worked twice for me in as many months and I wasn't even trying

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:42 PM   #7
retrax

Ok, I just did this. I have the holes in the sheet metal the remount an original style bracket and mirror so I wanted to get rid of the glass mount mirror. I took the mirror and arm off using an Allen wrench which just left behind the metal mounting "button" glued to the glass. I took my Harbor Freight mini butane pencil tip style torch and heated up the metal piece for about one minute.

Put the tip of the butane flame right on the metal and keep moving it around. After a while, the glue will start to smoke and stink. Around one minute I grabbed the metal piece with a channel lock plier and it practically fell off the glass. The residue left behind was brown, crispy and bubbled up. Immediately after, take a razor blade and scrape the residue right off. Be careful, the button, residue and the glass will be pretty hot. The glass was still hot five minutes later. I can't even see where the old mirror was glued to the glass now.
retrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:39 AM   #8
Man With A Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrax View Post
Ok, I just did this. I have the holes in the sheet metal the remount an original style bracket and mirror so I wanted to get rid of the glass mount mirror. I took the mirror and arm off using an Allen wrench which just left behind the metal mounting "button" glued to the glass. I took my Harbor Freight mini butane pencil tip style torch and heated up the metal piece for about one minute.

Put the tip of the butane flame right on the metal and keep moving it around. After a while, the glue will start to smoke and stink. Around one minute I grabbed the metal piece with a channel lock plier and it practically fell off the glass. The residue left behind was brown, crispy and bubbled up. Immediately after, take a razor blade and scrape the residue right off. Be careful, the button, residue and the glass will be pretty hot. The glass was still hot five minutes later. I can't even see where the old mirror was glued to the glass now.
That's awesome, thanks

All standard cabs
Old 12-23-2017, 09:45 AM   #9
Sabaka454

A heat gun works very well. Just waive it around the button for a few seconds and it pops right off.
Sabaka454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:50 PM   #10
raceman6135
Dino burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man With A Gun View Post
Either the factory or a previous owner mounted it in the wrong location. The sun visors hit it and bump it out of place.
Are you sure it's the proper rear view mirror? I've never had a factory truck mirror interfere with the sun visors when it was mounted in the middle of the windshield, as referenced off the antenna wires inside the windshield.

I did swap a mid-1970's Chevelle Malibu mirror into a square body once (the windshield part of the mounts is pretty GM universal) and the mirror was too wide and wouldn't let sun visors operate properly.

Having said that, I wonder if there is a difference in size of sun visors?
raceman6135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 06:19 AM   #11
Man With A Gun

The mirror is the original one from GM.

The windshield is an aftermarket replacement and apparently the glass companies have the option of ordering the windshields with the button already installed.

I'm guessing that's what happened.

The button is too high. It needs to be about 3/4" or so lower to not interfere with the driver side visor.

All standard cabs