The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2016, 11:12 PM   #1
6DoF

Is this bad for the bag?

This is my first bag setup, but not my first chassis build. I want to get some more eyes on my setup before i burn it all solid to make sure i'm not doing bad things to the bags. The bags never contact or rub anything (9" ID cup), but its the angles i'm worried about. At full compression, one side of the bump stop contacts while the other side is lifted, i don't figure this to be an issue and will be adding a bump to the control arm still. At full height the center of the mounting studs is just under an inch shy of the max height, but it seams stretched at the outside. Plus, are the angles bad in general? i also have a max height bump that tops out just before this geometry. Obviously it won't be driven at full height more then maybe a few hundred yards over it's life, and ride height leaves the bag only just past parallel.

The cup in the lower control arm will be trimmed to contour with the arm once fully welded. Yes, its all upside-down on the bench.

the parts:
Air Spring - 26c Double Convoluted ... Part #: 90007325
1986 C10 IFS: trimmed member, pie cut uppers, cupped lowers.

6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:15 PM   #2
6DoF

Re: Is this bad for the bag?

side note, i am setting up my bumps just before the mechanical limits. my travel is limited by the upper ball joint angles, it binds at both limits. i get 12" of actual wheel travel, and the x-member is about an inch off the floor when fully dropped on 30" tirea. the frame will be built with the bottom level to the bottom of the rockers and the x-member.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:32 AM   #3
PGSigns

I think you will be ok for ride height. You may not be able to full extended due to shock travel and the steering. Shocks will bottom out and the toe on the front wheels will be huge.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:22 AM   #4
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
I think you will be ok for ride height. You may not be able to full extended due to shock travel and the steering. Shocks will bottom out and the toe on the front wheels will be huge.
Jimmy
3 days, 4 forums, and you are the first guy to respond!! i starting to freak out a bit, haha.

shocks i'm not too worried about, i'll build in whatever is needed to not be limited by them. steering however i keep forgetting about, and you might be right. i have to narrow the x-member a few inches to fit the tires inside the '55 truck fenders, and will be ordering a custom width manual steering rack to mount up. the geometry once narrowed will dictate the rack specs, but getting the travel out of the tie rods might be an issue.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:39 AM   #5
dec010974

Hello 6DoF, Why build/fabricate suspension parts when vendors have figured out the geometry and angles. I have often thought designing or fabricating my own cross member but my there just too many variables. Can you please kep us posted.
dec010974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:21 AM   #6
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec010974 View Post
Hello 6DoF, Why build/fabricate suspension parts when vendors have figured out the geometry and angles. I have often thought designing or fabricating my own cross member but my there just too many variables. Can you please kep us posted.
sure thing! i think you'll find i generally do things a little different. not only do i love seeing stock parts repurposed, but i love the challenge and the fab work, and this won't be in a c10 application either. also for less then half the price of buying a nice IFS setup i have a '55 truck, engine, t56 trans with all little parts, the IFS, and all the tube to build my chassis. lots of work ahead

edit: it might finally be time for me to start a build thread, i should have decent progress often enough now.

Last edited by 6DoF; 01-12-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:32 PM   #7
PGSigns

I would do the shocks to get the ride and control where they will spend 99% of there time verses designing the shock mounts and geometry to get a crap load of travel. The rack will be a limiting factor. I would set the shocks as the limiter and keep the pressure of the rack. You dont want to over stress the rack moving it around at the travel limits and cause a failure that could show its ugly head at 75 mph down the interstate.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:30 PM   #8
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
I would do the shocks to get the ride and control where they will spend 99% of there time verses designing the shock mounts and geometry to get a crap load of travel. The rack will be a limiting factor. I would set the shocks as the limiter and keep the pressure of the rack. You dont want to over stress the rack moving it around at the travel limits and cause a failure that could show its ugly head at 75 mph down the interstate.
Jimmy
i agree with you 100%, i do plan to daily drive this and need to keep my head in the right place to not let show get in the way of function. proper shock placement to be able to do their job right, and keeping the safety by no induced failures in the rack will on the top of that list.

however i am pretty confident that with misalignment spacers on rod ends i can get the travel to not bind the rack. i've also had bad luck using shocks as limiters, so i will have and adjustable bump for top and bottom of the travel.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:39 AM   #9
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec010974 View Post
6DoF I wanna see these fab skills you keep posting about. Does your welds look like a roll of dimes? I'm still waiting on the crossmember your building. Pics are worth more than words.
sorry ... off topic, i know how being a new guy on a forum looks.

no i'm not a TIG guy, don't really get too worried about the row of dimes or weave welds. i do however hold 2 engineering degrees and currently work for DeWALT designing cordless tools. this is the rear 4-link and axle i built for my Jeep when PA wouldn't let me drive my comp rig on the streets. 1999 wrangler, 2005 GM 6.0L LQ4, nv4500, 2" lift only and 37s. the rear axle is a spidertrax housing, i set up the geometry specifically for this build, roll axis, anti-squat, etc ... put everything thru ProE in 3D ... had a buddy CNC plasma cut all the plate, i do tube bending ... i was 1/8" off perfect for the wheelbase on one side when i first tacked it into place.

you can also see the factory spring perches reused, though reworked for the 2" stretch. and one random "yeah, i like this weld" pic putting rock guards on some Dana60 kingpin lowers.

generally i'm an off road heavy fab guy, this '55 will be my first shot into airbags and lightweight street. i am however pretty familiar with long travel geometry, and will be building a similar 4-link for my truck. i swear, i'll get a build thread going for it soon.

*back on topic*

Last edited by 6DoF; 01-15-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:46 AM   #10
dec010974

Thank you. I look forward to your build becoming a reality. I definitely follow along. I may want to steal some knowledge get some ideas. Thanks again 6DoF.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:47 AM   #11
dec010974

BTW, the welds look great
Old 02-01-2016, 01:23 PM   #12
6DoF

truck build thread posted:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7469473