The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2021, 11:17 AM   #1
Toro

Cigarette Lighter button/handle

Getting ready to order some dash parts and just noticed something. On a non-deluxe truck with black radio/wiper/headlight knobs, did the cigarette lighter have the round black "knob" around the stainless button, or was it just the stainless button? Here's a photo of mine with non-deluxe knobs, and the lighter only has the stainless portion, no black knob around it. All the others I've seen have the black plastic/rubber piece, so just wondering if it's missing from this one or it's supposed to be that way.
Attached Images

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:58 AM   #2
cericd

Re: Cigarette Lighter button/handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
Getting ready to order some dash parts and just noticed something. On a non-deluxe truck with black radio/wiper/headlight knobs, did the cigarette lighter have the round black "knob" around the stainless button, or was it just the stainless button? Here's a photo of mine with non-deluxe knobs, and the lighter only has the stainless portion, no black knob around it. All the others I've seen have the black plastic/rubber piece, so just wondering if it's missing from this one or it's supposed to be that way.
All of the 67-72 truck cigar lighters had silver center button with a black surround. The black is actually metal that is painted black. In '67 the black portion had ridges around the edge but 68-72 were the same.

It's hard to tell from your picture but I suspect that the lighter element you have came from a different vehicle, car perhaps or is an aftermarket piece.

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:06 PM   #3
Smitty

Note that the aftermarket lighters aren’t interchangeable with OEM. The element will not work with original socket.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:17 PM   #4
jimijam00

This.
Attached Images

jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:16 PM   #5
BRL

My original lighter element died, and the original socket was a corrosion covered mess, so I picked up a set from O'Riley's and just JB-Welded the ring, and some knobs unscrew so I was able to set mine back up at a comparatively low cost and once again prove how much of a cheapskate I am.

BRL is offline   Reply With Quote