The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
nixdg

4x4 works but coming back to 2wd tricky

I have a 1979 Burb and when I put it into 4wd everything is fine. When I come out it is hard to get it back. Is this something that I can adjust to correct? Any help would be appreciated.
nixdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Re: 4x4 works but coming back to 2wd tricky

Welcome!

That sounds like a fork or something not working right. I am not a 4wd guy, so lets see what someone can tell ya.
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
Oilbrnr

Sounds like driveline wrap-up, in other words things are *bound* up.

*Generally* speaking you should have traveled some distance in a straight line on a loose material (not pavement) before trying to return to 2wd. Some TC's respond better to a slow roll while the transmission is in neutral or clutch depressed. This would be for 4 hi to 2 hi. 4 lo to 2 hi should *generally* be performed while stopped in neutral.

Again, any front to rear driveline binding will make TC shift operation difficult.

Are your tires the same diameter more or less at all four corners?

'66 C10 w/factory A/C
'77 Cheyenne K5 350/465/205
'80 Custom Deluxe K20 350/465/205
'04 Denali XL
'05 DMax CCLB 4x

Have a Hickey Sidewinder Winch and need the owners/install manual? Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward you a .pdf
Oilbrnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
nixdg

Thanks I will try that and see what happens. Something else to note, when I put it in 4 hi, the light came on telling me it was there but then went out. I wonder if it actually was not in 4 hi as I am not completly sure, didn't get out and have wife drive, if the front drive shaft was turning. The binding you are talking about is that normal or will I be looking at needing to replace something?
Thanks for the coments.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
Oilbrnr

Wrap-up is normal when not traveling in a straight line. The outside tires need to cover more distance in a turn and hence must spin more than the inside tires. With the center (TC) locked up, something has to eventually give, be it dirt/snow/mud/rubber or god forbid metal.

I'm not familiar enough with your TC to know where the idiot light sender is located and what the overall reliability is of it.

'66 C10 w/factory A/C
'77 Cheyenne K5 350/465/205
'80 Custom Deluxe K20 350/465/205
'04 Denali XL
'05 DMax CCLB 4x

Have a Hickey Sidewinder Winch and need the owners/install manual? Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward you a .pdf
Oilbrnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
nixdg

So I went out yesterday fishing with a friend and we had to use 4wd. Went through the area in 4lo and everything was fine. I traveled a distance in the sand put it in nutrual and then back to 4hi. but it would not go in or grab the gear. I finally gave up and put it back in 4lo and went on to the fishing spot. when we came out back to the beach, we unlocked the hubs and had one heck of a time getting it back in hi. I don't know what my TC is either. The shifter says lo loc, lo, n, hi, hi loc. It's in a 79 burb and I know the enginge and transmission were replaced but don't think the TC was. Where can I look on the case to find out what it is? Anyother suggestions? I do know the linkage needs to be adjusted and will be doing that this weekend.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
Eyegore
What Hump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbrnr View Post
Sounds like driveline wrap-up, in other words things are *bound* up.

*Generally* speaking you should have traveled some distance in a straight line on a loose material (not pavement) before trying to return to 2wd. Some TC's respond better to a slow roll while the transmission is in neutral or clutch depressed. This would be for 4 hi to 2 hi. 4 lo to 2 hi should *generally* be performed while stopped in neutral.

Again, any front to rear driveline binding will make TC shift operation difficult.

Are your tires the same diameter more or less at all four corners?
I may be tootaly wrong, but don't you have to back up to disengage the transfer case? I've had 4 k5's and 1 86 burb 4x4, and i recall having to backup 8 to 10 feet to disengage it, but that's been years ago.

Tom
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote