The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2004, 03:26 AM   #1
ezmaggie

1977 Blazer required emission parts

HELP! I have a 1977 Chevy K5 Blazer and I need to know what was required of GM to install in its vehicles to pass the emissions test programs. It was built at the Fremont plant ( was checking out what all the letters and #'s meant in my VIN #, one night) It's a 350 small block, factory air (however not hooked up at present...no compresser!) It is an Arizona truck...Maricopa county. Can anyone head me in the right direction to find this info out. I am running on an expired 3-day pass?????? Thank God I only work 3mins from home Thanks PS. the truck is back on the road after 6 years and I'm driving it:p
Old 04-02-2004, 06:13 PM   #2
IoWnZa
Big Block Blazer

I was not aware that a Vehicle of that Age required anything in the mean's of Emmision's. I know that it would not in Maine anyways.
[1985 Chevrolet K5 Blazer][454BBC][TH400][NP241][Dana 44][GM 12 Bolt w/ Eaton LSD][Hedman HTC Hedders][Dual 2.5" Stainless Steel Exhaust][Hedman Turbo Muffler's][Dual Spal's 14" Electric Fan's][32x11.50R15 BF Goodrich All Terrain TA KO's on 15x8 Rallys]
IoWnZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 09:30 PM   #3
badpeanut
Not a bad nut after all..

Not sure if this helps much, but I bought a '77 Impala w/350 engine and AC new. It had an EGR valve, a cat, and a charcoal canister for gas tank fumes, but no smog pump.
badpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 02:45 PM   #4
Grim Reaper

Re: 1977 Blazer required emission parts

Quote:
Originally posted by ezmaggie
HELP! I have a 1977 Chevy K5 Blazer and I need to know what was required of GM to install in its vehicles to pass the emissions test programs. It was built at the Fremont plant ( was checking out what all the letters and #'s meant in my VIN #, one night) It's a 350 small block, factory air (however not hooked up at present...no compresser!) It is an Arizona truck...Maricopa county. Can anyone head me in the right direction to find this info out. I am running on an expired 3-day pass?????? Thank God I only work 3mins from home Thanks PS. the truck is back on the road after 6 years and I'm driving it:p
Is it a California emissions truck?

A 48 state in 77 didn't have much of anything. THermac air cleaner,PCV Maybe EVAP and EGR but no cats. 78 was first year for cats on 48 state trucks. A 79 48 state had EGR, EVAP, Thermac, Unleded fill neck, PCV.

I know 78 Cali ran all of the above and some had AIR pump.
76 Cali trucks I think had Cat's as well. I know 74 Cali trucks had EGR's. Waxer at CK5 found that out when he got nailed a couple years back. My 75 non cali did no have EGR at all. Only emmsions on it is THermac and PCV. It's rated to burn leaded fuel.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:50 PM   #5
bpmcgee

Grim,

I'm not sure I agree with you on cats. My understanding is that all light trucks (except heavy-duty emissions) would have had them in '75.

In any case, ez, call or visit your local testing station. Here in IL, they have a book which lists all the equipment which would have been on any given year and model.

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 01:09 PM   #6
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally posted by bpmcgee
Grim,

I'm not sure I agree with you on cats. My understanding is that all light trucks (except heavy-duty emissions) would have had them in '75.

In any case, ez, call or visit your local testing station. Here in IL, they have a book which lists all the equipment which would have been on any given year and model.

Brian
It was 76 or 78 on the cats. I'm pretty sure it was 78.

My 75 jimmy Does not have them and never did. No "unleaded only" lable on the gage like my 79 and no Catalist sticker on it. I had to thing they smog guy on the head because he was arguing with me about the fill neck restrictor. It was legal for leaded fuel still so it didn't have one. He finnaly consulted the computer and confirmed it was ok. All it has is Thermac and PCV.

Now cars had cats in 76 for sure...cali cars had them in 74..
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 11:35 PM   #7
Eyegore
What Hump?

ezmaggie perhaps I can speak form experience, sorry that I have not seen your post until today. I had 4 k5's, 1-77, 2-78's, 1-80 all owned in central phoenix. The emission depended on the vehicle weight, so a typical 1/2 ton chevy truck in 75 was required to have emissions, i.e. catalytic convertor, smog pump and so on, however the k5 had a greater gross weight - over 6500 lbs not needing the cats. However make sure you have the pvc connection and all vaccum lines connected, you should have no trouble passing unless your running really lean or rich.

Hope this helps
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:26 AM   #8
ezmaggie

Thanks Tom, I have had the truck since 1983( I think) and it has had many engines in it...I think it is cursed! I have never had the cat. on it...egr, pcv valve..I just can't remember if it ever had a canister....I'll soon find out though....with luck it's going to emissions next week... The "GREAT" engine a friend put in for me has already had a cracked #7 piston replaced. I think I got took!!! Oh well... said it was luck that it happened...I have a different opinion, however. It is hard to keep the ol' chin up these days ...after waiting 6 years to put it back on the road..but I'm still plugging along. Thx for responding..all input is more knowledge for me. Nice to hear from a fellow Arizonian..had a couple others too. With luck maybe you'll see my baby on the road. Will post pic when it's burning rubber or climbing rocks..cya Maggie
Old 04-22-2004, 02:35 PM   #9
Eyegore
What Hump?

Well I'll be stretching the old memory cords a little to tight to recall if it had a canister, I only recall why I purchased 78 on down, to avoid all the emmissions. If you have a fried piston let them know, perhaps they'll give you a wavier. But be careful, some of the employees at the testing stations were caught taking bribes to make cars pass, so their all a little on edge wondering if its a sting operation. You may also want to check a chilton or haynes manual, it will usaully show if a canister was needed, just look under emissions, sometimes it will call out part of the vin number showing wheree a car came from, i.e. Calif, requiring additional emissions, but I believe your pretty safe w/ what you have.

Tom

P.S. Some days I wish I had my old k5's back, my first was a 77, that baby was cherry, I took it back to stock, in fact a lawyer bought it, go figure, I couldn't keep it because gas was $1 a gallon, lol. He said he was waiting for the day I put it up for sale, sold in one day after putting a sign on it.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:09 PM   #10
ezmaggie

Too cool Tom ...you put a smile on my face...Some day I'll write you the history on my Blazer...It's a novel worth reading...phsyciatrists use it in theapy to cheer their patients up!!!! Thx again
Old 04-22-2004, 03:11 PM   #11
ezmaggie

Oh ...PS...come on up to New River...work at an awesome pizzeria....I'm a one in a kind waitress................
Old 02-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #12
savatreatabvr

Sounds like you know what you're talking about Eyegore, I also live in Phx and drive a 1973 Chevy c20 3/4 ton 454, my issue is my truck originally came with a 350 and somebody somewhere sometime dropped a 454 in it. The 454 only has a PCV valve nothing else so does the factory 1973 350 have equipment that I'm missing to pass emissions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyegore View Post
ezmaggie perhaps I can speak form experience, sorry that I have not seen your post until today. I had 4 k5's, 1-77, 2-78's, 1-80 all owned in central phoenix. The emission depended on the vehicle weight, so a typical 1/2 ton chevy truck in 75 was required to have emissions, i.e. catalytic convertor, smog pump and so on, however the k5 had a greater gross weight - over 6500 lbs not needing the cats. However make sure you have the pvc connection and all vaccum lines connected, you should have no trouble passing unless your running really lean or rich.

Hope this helps
savatreatabvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
Eyegore
What Hump?

savatr... look into newer 454's I'm sure they had to adjust to meet emission requirements with a pvc or remove the valve cleaner drill the correct hole diameter and find the adapter and plug a pvc connection in. Talk to azsuferdude he's pretty familiar with resolving these kind of things, he's on this board.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #14
gclark1

Maggie, if you have a heavy Blazer (above 6000 pounds GVWR), I can help you by just looking at my equipment. My 77 has a metal door tag on the B pillar on the driver side. I just ran it through about 8 months ago. I will tell you that I did go down to the local emissions station and they were very helpful in telling me what I needed. Write back if you have what was referred to as a "trailering special."
gclark1 is offline   Reply With Quote