The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2018, 07:37 PM   #1
1Bad72C10

building a 72 c10 swb gonna need help

Ok as my header states building a c10 from frame up. My plan is to daily driver it and have fun as well. I'm boxing the entire frame in for my motor transmission combo. I'm going with a mosier pro fab autocross 9" or a fully float mosier drag rear end. My engine and transmission is being built as i am typing this. 540 tall deck twin turbo with a 4L80e transmission. Everyone keeps trying to talk me into an ls not gonna happen. Besides I have called steve morris, andy jennings, mike moran, and a few others and they all agree with what i am looking for ls wont cut it and to build an ls to handle what i want would be just as expensive and not last as long so easy choice big block it is. Now I already bought the hotchkis tvs system for my suspension and i got a porterbuilt center section as well. My question to some who have done something similiar is what type of cage did you install. I don't want the typical 10 point cage as its mainly a daily driver street truck but I do want some kind of cage in it. What do you you guys recommend? This truck will have full interior as well with ac power steering just like a normal truck just with massive horsepower as I want my cake and to eat it to lol. I plan on taking this truck on the power tour next year so trying to get it fully built and all bugs worked out by the end of the year. so any tips or advice is greatly appreciated
1Bad72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:02 PM   #2
harpo231

Re: building a 72 c10 swb gonna need help

If you want a functional cage you will need to cut a few holes to get the geometry...
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:30 PM   #3
Grumpy old man

Lets see what your starting with ?

Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:49 PM   #4
Shinysideup

Sounds like a nice dream. When I was a teenager I had all kinds of wild ideas too. Have fun!
. [_____(O)_|_'|__}>-------[-_(O)__i'___i (O)-]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
No thank you on that lifetime warranty. I don't want a turd for life.
Shinysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:53 PM   #5
leddzepp

You don’t need help...you just need a LOT of money

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:54 PM   #6
1Bad72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinysideup View Post
Sounds like a nice dream. When I was a teenager I had all kinds of wild ideas too. Have fun!
lol too funny im no teenager and have a few big hp toys in the shop. this will be built this year
Old 02-12-2018, 08:55 PM   #7
1Bad72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
If you want a functional cage you will need to cut a few holes to get the geometry...
i know i will have to cut a few holes. but im wondering do i put a full 10 point with a funny car cage in it for the very rare instance i want to go down the track or do you i just but something like a 6 point in it?
Old 02-12-2018, 08:57 PM   #8
1Bad72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Lets see what your starting with ?

I will get you pictures as soon as i get it back from the sandblasters. I will be taking pics of the whole build as its going back together
Old 02-12-2018, 09:01 PM   #9
1Bad72C10

i have never official drag raced on a track before so I wont lie and play like i have. I have street raced plenty in my life and don't have a clue how fast my truck will be. I am only going off what my engine builder is telling me. He says with practice and getting the truck dialed in and me some pass's should get in the 7's easy if I ever run it down the strip. dont know if I want to put a big cage in my truck like that. All I know is he is telling me the motor should make between 1700 to 2500 hp. So anyone that has drag raced before might be able to figure it out as I have no clue to be honest but am currently thinking about trying to figure it out.

Last edited by 1Bad72C10; 02-12-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:11 PM   #10
bill3rail

I have no idea on how to give a clue on your questions however, I am waiting for pictures and a build thread...

Bill, patiently waiting
Old 02-12-2018, 09:16 PM   #11
CC69Rat

Welcome to the board. Good luck with your build, if you setup a build thread there are tons of people here with a lot of experience that will help you along the way with questions, etc.

You have my attention though.. I like me some BBC, that's for sure. Here's my 68.
Attached Images

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:18 PM   #12
harpo231

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bad72C10 View Post
i know i will have to cut a few holes. but im wondering do i put a full 10 point with a funny car cage in it for the very rare instance i want to go down the track or do you i just but something like a 6 point in it?
not much room for a 10 point
Old 02-12-2018, 09:20 PM   #13
Shinysideup

Welcome to the forum. What an introduction.The things you say you are doing(2000hp+ daily driver truck) and the your lack of understanding of what that entails leads me to believe we are being trolled. We shall see...

I Do think you need a cage, and a mighty sturdy one at that. I will expect it to be full titanium,no?
. [_____(O)_|_'|__}>-------[-_(O)__i'___i (O)-]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
No thank you on that lifetime warranty. I don't want a turd for life.
Shinysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:55 PM   #14
1Bad72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
Welcome to the board. Good luck with your build, if you setup a build thread there are tons of people here with a lot of experience that will help you along the way with questions, etc.

You have my attention though.. I like me some BBC, that's for sure. Here's my 68.
Thank you beautiful truck you have cant wait to get mine done.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:58 PM   #15
1Bad72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinysideup View Post
Welcome to the forum. What an introduction.The things you say you are doing(2000hp+ daily driver truck) and the your lack of understanding of what that entails leads me to believe we are being trolled. We shall see...

I Do think you need a cage, and a mighty sturdy one at that. I will expect it to be full titanium,no?
oh trust me im trying to tame the motor down but you know how engine builders are. anyways i promise you are not being trolled and this is a serious build just dont know a whole lot about nothing lol . Borrowski racing engines is who is building my motor for me. Ken is a very nice guy. We talked a lot about doing an ls or a bbc and ulitmately decided on bbc as i love a big block cause there is no replacement for displacement not to mention it cost less to get what i want building a bbc vs an ls
Old 02-12-2018, 11:02 PM   #16
HO455
Post Whore

You need a complete chassis system not a bunch of parts from different vendors. So take your original frame and sell it, return all your new components. Then call some one like Art Morrison or another who has been building high horsepower race cars (because that is what your building whether you admit it or not) for decades and know how to achieve your dream. Any other route is a waste of money you should've spent on a new ZO6 which will still be faster in the end.

https://www.artmorrison.com/trucks.php
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:29 PM   #17
1Bad72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
You need a complete chassis system not a bunch of parts from different vendors. So take your original frame and sell it, return all your new components. Then call some one like Art Morrison or another who has been building high horsepower race cars (because that is what your building whether you admit it or not) for decades and know how to achieve your dream. Any other route is a waste of money you should've spent on a new ZO6 which will still be faster in the end.

lol thanks but already talked to art morris roadster shop and a few others i believe i have a good handle on the frame as my partner used to work for art morrisson. we are gonna build this truck right. hopefully we will have it out for the hot rod power tour next year and a few other shows. as far as the zo6 is concerned just sold my tt zo6 making room for my zr1 to sit next to my hellcat and my gt500 so im done with the zo6 but thanks
Old 02-13-2018, 04:54 PM   #18
B. W.

Love some pics!
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:05 PM   #19
Fatherflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post

HO455 is right in my opinion. You state that you are boxing a frame to support your plans. Ok well, if you box it, what is your plan to inspect the welds of your boxed frame? How will you know there is solid weld penetration? That you are not welding near a microscopic crack? If you plan on doing this "visually" then what is your standard to say what is acceptable or not? You are putting that much effort and possibly horsepower into a 40+ year old frame that was built using older metal technologies.

The foundation of your truck is not solid if you use your current frame in my opinion. Weld it, Box it, add a 10 point roll cage if you want however, this is all going on an old frame likely full of microscopic cracks and other minor issues not visible to the naked eye. If you are absolute on using the frame, then please have it fully inspected using non destructive inspection (NDI - dye penetrant, eddy current) with all welds x-rayed for voids prior to doing any work. You will in the end spend a lot more time and money following your plan than if you were to spend on a new frame.

Honestly, $11 grand for a frame with 2X6 construction built by an industry leading team. I would not consider that a frame...I would consider that cheap insurance.

Good luck.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:43 PM   #20
1Bad72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherflash View Post
HO455 is right in my opinion. You state that you are boxing a frame to support your plans. Ok well, if you box it, what is your plan to inspect the welds of your boxed frame? How will you know there is solid weld penetration? That you are not welding near a microscopic crack? If you plan on doing this "visually" then what is your standard to say what is acceptable or not? You are putting that much effort and possibly horsepower into a 40+ year old frame that was built using older metal technologies.

The foundation of your truck is not solid if you use your current frame in my opinion. Weld it, Box it, add a 10 point roll cage if you want however, this is all going on an old frame likely full of microscopic cracks and other minor issues not visible to the naked eye. If you are absolute on using the frame, then please have it fully inspected using non destructive inspection (NDI - dye penetrant, eddy current) with all welds x-rayed for voids prior to doing any work. You will in the end spend a lot more time and money following your plan than if you were to spend on a new frame.

Honestly, $11 grand for a frame with 2X6 construction built by an industry leading team. I would not consider that a frame...I would consider that cheap insurance.

Good luck.
interesting idea i was just talking to a few people today about having my frame sent out for ndi. I agree 100% in making sure the foundation is solid before putting it all together
Old 02-13-2018, 09:31 PM   #21
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

At that HP, you need more than the original frame. I doubt you can find a frame/cage builder that would even attempt to meet your goal starting with the original. I too, look forward to the build thread.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:37 PM   #22
harpo231

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1518572236
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2018, 09:57 PM   #23
stevenfromtexas

i too sold my daughters barbie jeep, my Trek bicycle and contemplating my wives car to make room for my massive 250ci, 3ott , half rattle can half Nason paint home made garage build
stevenfromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:08 PM   #24
stevenfromtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post

NICE!!! i've watched and read several of your paint "post" you are an inspiration to guys like me!!
stevenfromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:33 PM   #25
rjs53

Sounds like he has more money than since. He managed to name every muscle care made in America today, and I was believing him until he said he had a ford. Hope he posts some pics, it would be mice to see a build like this
rjs53 is offline   Reply With Quote