The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
hjewell2

1970 wood bed instalation HELP!!!!

OK I have purchased a wood bed kit from another person the kit was still in the box and in great condition. The only problem is it does not have the holes drilled in it where it fastens to the frame--the ones with the offset counter sunk holes for the washers. How the heck do you drill the offset countersunk holes. Please Help....
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
longhorn70gmc

Re: 1970 wood bed instalation HELP!!!!

Have you gotten the measurements for them yet off of your truck or another truck; have you checked the installation directions in the kit? Also, take a bolt and offset washer out and study it. You most likely already have a drill bit the same diameter of the bolt and that would be the first hole to drill. You may have to purchase a bit wide enough to drill the washer hole. This hole will be the depth of the washer. It fits in the hole level sunk with the wood when installed.
Remember....... When drilling these holes ensure you measure and clarify where the bolt hole in the metal/bed framing under the bed wood is so you get it right before you drill.
My truck is a longhorn, so my measurements may be different from yours. Another possibility you may choose is give MAR-K a call for the measurements on the type of bed wood/bed you are working with. GMC PAULS website may have measurements for holes as well. One more, I think there are some bed wood measurements on here somewhere that may help, someone please chime in to help this gentleman out? Good Luck on your bed wood install. I would start from the outside and work my way in from both sides. I enjoyed mine.
R/
Billy

1970 GMC Sierra Grande 402/TH400
(Longhorn)14 years and counting rebuild!
1975 (Build) Chevrolet SWB 4X4 350 SB Lifted 6 inches
1970 Ford F250 Ranger 390 BB
2010 Ford Super Duty F250 XLT W/4 inch lift kit and Pro Comp Tires
Hub Cap Freak!
I need another truck like I need another hole in the head!
I'M IN THE MARKET...AS IT WERE!
longhorn70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
turner16

I made my wood floor and here is what I did. I installed the wood with the box off. Set the box on where is should go. This took some time to measure and make sure is was square. Then I modified a pencil to fit into the metal piece so I could mark the holes. Removed the box set it up on its end. Lined up the drill in the center with a small pilot hole went to the other side and drilled the offsest holes with a forstner bit then enlarge the other holes. Should fit like a glove mine did
Attached Images

turner16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
67cheby
67cheby

nice job staining the underneath, i think that is a step most people leave out and it leads to quickly ruining their bedwood !!
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
turner16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
nice job staining the underneath, i think that is a step most people leave out and it leads to quickly ruining their bedwood !!
thanks 7 coats of varnish and you have to vanish in the holes you just drilled.
Of course my truck bed has yet to even get wet in 3 years so it still looks new.
turner16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #6
hjewell2

Thanks guys for the advice and knowledge on the subject.
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
Steve Hafner

Mine was fastened from underneath - it looks a lot "cleaner" that way and makes the wood stand out better.
There are several threads on here to tell you how to do it.
Attached Images

Life is short . . . we only have, right now.

. . . .

My 70 C-10's BUILD THREAD: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=475526
Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:13 AM   #8
Steve Hafner

Here's a picture of a bed that was fastened from underneath - it's not mine and I don't have any pictures of mine YET to show you. Just about the only work I did during the restoration was writing the checks to pay for it !!! LOL ( I DID finish the wood myself, though ) . . . so I can't help you much with "how it was done". I was told it wasn't too hard to do, you have to weld pieces of metal to the cross members ( which are red in this picture ) so they can be bolted down. It's actually being held down to the frame by the cross members, which the wood and bed strips are bolted to from the top.
Attached Images

Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote