The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2016, 06:51 PM   #501
RockinKees

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Are seatbelt a must in the States?
I see almost everbody puts them in.

I too put them in but it's not required overhere, I do it for my own "safety".
Kinda like you do it, only I have a small window, thats easier
You also use these plates for the bottom?

About the brakes, when we had this at work (Mercedes Benz trucks and Vans) we had to bleed via the computer to get the antilock free of air. The computer opened one valve, then the other etc. Bleeding the fluid under pressure. Only then we got the air out of the system.
Maybe your system works the same?

1959 Chevy Fleetside Longbed
My build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=643426
Kool Guyz CC
Instagram: _King_Kustom_
RockinKees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:49 PM   #502
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinKees View Post
Are seatbelt a must in the States?
I see almost everbody puts them in.

I too put them in but it's not required overhere, I do it for my own "safety".
Kinda like you do it, only I have a small window, thats easier
You also use these plates for the bottom?

About the brakes, when we had this at work (Mercedes Benz trucks and Vans) we had to bleed via the computer to get the antilock free of air. The computer opened one valve, then the other etc. Bleeding the fluid under pressure. Only then we got the air out of the system.
Maybe your system works the same?
I'm sure having seat belts is not a requirement by law for this old of a vehicle especially here in Alabama. I too am doing it for my own safety. Even if the cab collapses behind me in a wreck, it should slow me down enough to keep me alive if I hit the steering wheel. The female portion of the seat belt is mounted to the seat and the seats do have plates below the cab. In addition, I'll definitely have a large plate under the cab holding the seat belt reel end.

I've been discussing the ABS module with DSRAVEN (Dennis). He's pretty familiar with these and basically agrees with you that it has to be bled using the computer. If the brakes don't perform well, I'll remove the module when I send the cab to the blaster and replace with hard tubing and then add a proportioning (pressure reducing valve) valve. dug
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:06 PM   #503
dsraven

maybe you could find the wiring diagram for the antilock brake module, where the hydraulic lines etc go in and come out, then possibly power up the inlet and outlet solenoids to create a flow through similar to what the scanner would do.then you could bleed as usual personally i would go old school on this and just remove it all if you dont plan on doing the body control module wiring.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #504
dsraven

Hey dugg,since you have that whizzie pressure bleeder, maybe try bleeding at each line fitting, starting at the master cyl and working down from there. You may find that you could simply disconnect a system line at a time and delete the antilock module easily at the same time by using line connector fittings. That may bring your pedal height up to spec. Also, is it the original pedal etc? If not the geometry/length of pedal arm may be the reason you dont meet spec. If you get a rock hard pedal upon brake application, with engine off, then you likely dont have air in the system. Check that the pedal stroke length is reasonable with ample room between the pedal and the floor at full application, check that the pushrod is adjusted for proper clearance at the master cyl.then.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:50 AM   #505
Kim57

Nice seat.
Hope you get the brakes worked out.
I'm still not exactly sure how I'm going to do the seat belts in mine yet.
Kim
Old 04-02-2016, 04:51 PM   #506
dug224

Seat belt install complete with the exception of final weld on upper post plates and seat belt reel plate weld under cab. Cut lower reel brackets out of 4" angle. Reel bracket is slightly out in front of the door jamb (towards middle of cab). The photos make it look like it is out more than it is. It is about 3/8" out. I wanted to push it further back into the cab corner but it made the belt rub against the post a bit too much.
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2016, 05:03 PM   #507
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
Hey dugg,since you have that whizzie pressure bleeder, maybe try bleeding at each line fitting, starting at the master cyl and working down from there. You may find that you could simply disconnect a system line at a time and delete the antilock module easily at the same time by using line connector fittings. That may bring your pedal height up to spec. Also, is it the original pedal etc? If not the geometry/length of pedal arm may be the reason you dont meet spec. If you get a rock hard pedal upon brake application, with engine off, then you likely dont have air in the system. Check that the pedal stroke length is reasonable with ample room between the pedal and the floor at full application, check that the pushrod is adjusted for proper clearance at the master cyl.then.
Dennis: Thanks for the brainstorm! The good news is that I took the truck for a spin and the pedal travel is about 3 inches +/- 1/4" which is well within spec. Got it up to speed and it stopped really quickly and straight. After a few more stomps, I managed to lock one wheel up, however, I could not tell which one it was. Pedal is, in fact, rock hard when the engine is off. It is the original pedal which, after this exercise, I intend to cut and move closer to the floor so I don't have to lift my foot so far off the gas to press the brake. The brake/gas pedal arrangement may have been good for the Envoy with the factory sitting position more upright. As low as I have the seats, it is a bit awkward. You guys doing the extended cab version of this shouldn't have this problem. Since the whizzie brake bleeder is so easy to use, I may bleed it one more time. Thanks again for the input. dug
Old 04-02-2016, 05:13 PM   #508
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
Nice seat.
Hope you get the brakes worked out.
I'm still not exactly sure how I'm going to do the seat belts in mine yet.
Kim
Thanks. Working on the seat belts is a bit like raising kids. You don't know how well you've done until it's too late. Frankly, I like how they look. If I was a purist and doing a restoration, the shoulder belts may offend me. The safest way would be the 4 point harness tethered to a hoop that runs just below the back window. Out of site and more structurally sound but too much for what I intend to use the truck for. dug
Old 04-03-2016, 10:32 PM   #509
Kim57

Belt install is looking good.
Kim
Old 04-03-2016, 10:52 PM   #510
dsraven

dugg, looks like you have the seat belts figured out. just wondering if you beefed up the plate under the floor to spread the weight in case it is needed.
looks good.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:18 AM   #511
dug224

Quote:
dugg, looks like you have the seat belts figured out. just wondering if you beefed up the plate under the floor to spread the weight in case it is needed.
looks good.
Yes. I failed to include these shots. Since I had to slide the bracket back into the cab corner I had to round the backer plate edge. Backer plate is a bit small but I figured by the time I welded it in and picked up the vertical cab corner sheet metal with the weld, it would suffice. May put an additional piece vertical under the cab for support. All this will happen when the cab is off the truck and tipped up so I can weld it. Last shot I had to use the passenger side. Forgot to photo the driver side.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2016, 01:39 PM   #512
RockinKees

Nice instal on the belts, give me ideas.
I have only the shoulder brackets in, was easy, but then I have a small window
Have to figure out the middle brackets, how have you done these?

Kool Guyz CC
Old 04-04-2016, 06:04 PM   #513
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinKees View Post
Nice instal on the belts, give me ideas.
I have only the shoulder brackets in, was easy, but then I have a small window
Have to figure out the middle brackets, how have you done these?
By middle I assume you mean the female end that the shoulder belt plugs into. If so, that end is attached to my seat. Here is an old shot from 2013.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2016, 06:50 PM   #514
RockinKees

Yep, that's what I refering to.
I have a benchseat so that's another story.
But I assume you've made the bottom bolts quite sturdy
Comes down to the same strengthening. Thanks for the info and pic!!

Kool Guyz CC
Old 04-16-2016, 12:07 PM   #515
dug224

More minor progress. Fabricated and tacked in center bed support brackets.

Moved brake pedal by removing 1.75" of horizontal portion of the brake arm. Brake pedal is now 1" above the gas pedal. Without the pedal pad in place, the top of pedal is 7-5/8" above horizontal cab floor and about 7" from the forward angled cab floor. It was amazing how uncomfortable reaching for the brake pedal was with it being 2.75" above the gas pedal. I have to assume the less upright seating position made the factory Envoy setup not work.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2016, 10:56 AM   #516
dsraven

hey dugg, lots of work but really lookin great. good thinking there with the way you are attacking the bed skin attaching. pretty soon you will be off to the blasters with the bed sides and then the welding begins.
haven't worked on mine in weeks. always something else more pressing and not usually my stuff.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:03 AM   #517
dsraven

just looking at the accel pedal, will it be an acute angle for your foot? it looks kinda high off the floor. not critisising, just asking how it feels. do you have to hold your foot up so you don't go full throttle as you relax a bit while driving? I had a car like that one, a v8 vega, and I ended up changing the angles because my shins got cramped up on trips from holding my foot off the gas pedal. looks like there is lots to work with if you do need to adjust things later for some reason.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:21 PM   #518
dug224

Quote:
just looking at the accel pedal, will it be an acute angle for your foot? it looks kinda high off the floor. not critisising, just asking how it feels. do you have to hold your foot up so you don't go full throttle as you relax a bit while driving? I had a car like that one, a v8 vega, and I ended up changing the angles because my shins got cramped up on trips from holding my foot off the gas pedal. looks like there is lots to work with if you do need to adjust things later for some reason.
Not really sure what part of the geometry makes it uncomfortable but it is less acute and way better with the brake pedal where it is now. The ball of my foot is on the brake pedal so I'm not sure that the height off of the floor is playing a roll. That extra cab you will be getting will help a bunch with leg room and pedal orientation. I'm just under 6' tall and the regular cab is a bit tight. I will have cruise control so long trips should not be an issue.

Bed sides have been with the blaster for a few weeks. They got covered up and some equipment broke so I went to the back burner. Not having them here has forced me to do other things I did not feel like doing...like the brakes. I'm sure he will have them to me in the next couple of weeks.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:18 AM   #519
Nut Case

Dug. Three Dog Night on your wall. Assume, Seen this group more times than I can count. The seat belt application is fan-damtastic going to use on my build as soon as I get started. Good work, thanks for sharing.

Nut Case

Old 04-18-2016, 06:27 AM   #520
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut Case View Post
Dug. Three Dog Night on your wall. Assume, Seen this group more times than I can count. The seat belt application is fan-damtastic going to use on my build as soon as I get started. Good work, thanks for sharing.

Nut Case

NC: Funny you noticed the apparent Three Dog Night album cover hanging on the wall. It actually says "Three Dug Night" and was produced by The1Ted that some know as Ted Zeppelin. I sold him the NAPCO suspension out from under my truck and we got to talking about his nick name. Next thing I know, he masterfully produced this wall art. And for those who think I destroyed a real NAPCO, I didn't. The truck was put together pretty badly from many different trucks so I decided to head off in the late model direction. As you can see, rebuilding this kind of stuff is definitely more in The1Ted's wheelhouse than mine. I need to check in on him. His build thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=529546&page=3

dug
Old 04-18-2016, 08:59 AM   #521
the1ted

Hey 'Three Dug Night! I'm still alive-been slowed by knee problems, they want to replace them-not in a hurry to do that! Good to hear from you.
the1ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:24 AM   #522
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1ted View Post
Hey 'Three Dug Night! I'm still alive-been slowed by knee problems, they want to replace them-not in a hurry to do that! Good to hear from you.
Ouch! I know a few people who have gone through it. Tough recovery. Good luck. dug
Old 04-25-2016, 05:44 PM   #523
dug224

More minor headway. Purchased 4 Ford truck bed tie down brackets from the local u-pull-it for $5.00. The Ford units were much better looking and more functional than any others I could find. Cut four 3" x 4" heavy steel plate backers and tacked them into place.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2016, 01:09 AM   #524
Nut Case

Dug Swallowed that hook line and sinker.

I never do anything slow or fast just half-assed.

Better get to the eye doc sooner than later....

Nut Case

3 DOG Night in my never to be humble opinion are in my top ten !!!!!
Old 05-11-2016, 06:27 PM   #525
dug224

Game back on. Bed, tailgate and misc. parts blasted and primed. Like I've said before, at least it isn't rusted out. He actually stripped the faulty chrome off of the bumper by peeling it off rather than blasting it. Lots and lots of dents in the bed sides. I can feel a faux patina paint job coming on!!! Hope to align and mount the bed sides quickly so I can get the cab and front clip to the blaster. Also, included a shot of a portion of my truck enthusiast fan club (grand kids).
Attached Images