The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #51
67c10rustbuket

Re: Rustbuket 67 build "Georgia"

So, with the bell housing mount out of the way I stabbed the engine and trans in (yeah i'd rather have an LS but this was cheap and easy) here's a few shots of the engine and trans in the old 67. those old school motor mount stands were a pain! on my first attempt the starter was hitting the pass side mount stand and the oil filter was hitting the driver side mount stand. I removed the frame mount stands and put the engine and trans in place, then reinstalled the mount stands. Not much fun. I'm going to remove the oil cooler adapter and run it without for now although it is a good idea to have one on there.
Attached Images

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #52
67c10rustbuket

I pulled the interior and dash harness out of the 97 Tahoe today so I can sort out what wiring I need and that was a pain in the butt!!! now I know why people pay $700 for a painless harness, there is so much BS that I dont need in the interior harness and it is a huge pain to get it all out !

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
Old 02-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #53
67c10rustbuket

Sold a few more parts off of the tahoe, hopeing I can make my money back once we scrapit so the drivetrain will be a freebie! I kept the center console so I can use it with some buckets in my daily driver 93. I pulled the heater core for my DD also since it just fried itsd 4th heater core in 2 years (electrolYsis problem). Also in the wiring I removed the Tahoe copass mirror thinking I may be able to use it on my 67 idk how I will attach it to the stock mirror bracket, guess we'll see if I can use it or not.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 02-05-2012, 02:10 AM   #54
mcbassin
Still Learning

Very nice progress on your build. I like the Vortec 5.7, you really got a smokin deal on that package. Yes, you should end up getting it for free by the time you part it out and scrap whats left. I did a TBI conversion on my son's 86. The wiring is my weakest part of these conversions. You should be able to get all the information you need to do the swap on this site. There are some engine gurus on the powertrain section. Keep plugging along. I hope to see your build in person some time. If you're out my way hit me up and you can check out mine
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:44 AM   #55
fakerwade

I like the vortec engines too. Keep the rpm's under 5500 and they do great. Here's a pic of one I built and put in my 87 Jeep Cherokee.
Build thread "TANGERINE" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=498570

Board Members Met: bigblock68, ol_skool_chevy ,68TT,atvpro
fakerwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #56
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakerwade View Post
I like the vortec engines too. Keep the rpm's under 5500 and they do great. Here's a pic of one I built and put in my 87 Jeep Cherokee.
Dang that is pretty wade! I like the candy red with E-tec aluminum heads! I will keep it pretty mild untill It gets rebuilt. with the stock auto trans I will definately keep it under 55k. I think I should be able to squeeze it to 350HP pretty easily with a new cam, headers and exhaust, and some ECM programming. Id like to get over 400 out of it with a good rebuild and some more mods. For now I think I may just get it driving as is since it drove so nice in the tahoe and take it apart and rebuild with a frame off resto later.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:33 AM   #57
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Very nice progress on your build. I like the Vortec 5.7, you really got a smokin deal on that package. Yes, you should end up getting it for free by the time you part it out and scrap whats left. I did a TBI conversion on my son's 86. The wiring is my weakest part of these conversions. You should be able to get all the information you need to do the swap on this site. There are some engine gurus on the powertrain section. Keep plugging along. I hope to see your build in person some time. If you're out my way hit me up and you can check out mine

I have been parting some of it but as a friends first deal so far, just posted some parts on CL but as you know they all want to get parts for $5 around here. Im about halfway there for paying for the Tahoe so it should pay for itself. I havent read your build of landens truck yet but i will, i really like the TBI setups they are reliable and pretty easy to find, I drive one every day, my 93 Z71. I am also a little weak on the wiring but I found a complete wiring diagram and ECM pinouts on LT1swap.com so that should help. I also plan on asking a few Q's over on the powertrain section once I get to it. I will definately hit you up to look at yours next time I visit the parents since they're only a few miles from you. also you're welcome to look at mine if your out this way before I get her on the road.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #58
67c10rustbuket

Nothing major but heres a couple pics of the wiring I hacked out of the Tahoe dash. The plan is to use as much of the Tahoe wiring as possible, all the way to the fuel pump and tail lights. I'm not to sure how to mod the headlights and taillights since the Tahoe has 2 tail lights and headlights. while the 67 has just one headlight and tail light. I already have the engine harness on the engine and the front harness with the headlights. I did have to hack the dash harness a little and I cut all the air bag wires off and air conditioning since I wont be using those.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2012, 12:44 AM   #59
67c10rustbuket

Im going to go cut the sections out of the Tahoe firewall this week where the wiring and fuse block go so I can weld those in to my firewall to make a stock looking install. Also I'll be removing the rest of the exhaust and the hasness for the rear O2 sensors to use as well.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:53 AM   #60
67c10rustbuket

Well removing the piece of firewall looked like a stupid idea once I got back out to the tahoe so I traced out the hole and with some measurements I made a template to just cut my firewall to accept the Tahoe fuse block/wiring. Also I pulled the catalytic converters and rear O2 sensor harness. I will use the cats initially but will have them removed from the ECM with a real exhaust system later. I will just fab up a for now exhaust system. heres a few pics.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2012, 03:06 AM   #61
67c10rustbuket

Also upgraded myself to a real "premium member" happy vday to me! listed some NOS parts in the classifieds, selling way too fast maybe I should have asked for more $$. Classifieds here are way better then EGAY waiting forever to sell anyway... maybe more progress tomorrow if it isn't too cold.

I used a dremel with cutoff wheels to cut the wiring hole and a .75" die grinder bit to smooth out the cuts and the corners. looks pretty good eh.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:12 AM   #62
67c10rustbuket

Another bit: I was thinking I'd somehow use my plastic fuel cell but now I think I'll sell it and with a little more dough I'll buy a aluminum cell from "fuelcellguy" or "boydwelding" idk is that the same people or two different people? either way WOW they make some nice fuel cells!! since in the long run I want to be laying body on the ground.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #63
mcbassin
Still Learning

Nice progress. Lots of good ideas. Keep it up.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #64
YBNORML

Nice work, looking forward to more updates.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #65
JohnT71

Great work! Putting the same motor and trans in my 68, about the same point you are. I got the interior wiring plugged back in and going to try to start without going through the firewall. Please post more pics, I have got to cut out the firewall in mine, been dreading, already painted the cab.
JohnT71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #66
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Nice progress. Lots of good ideas. Keep it up.
Thanks Mike! I read you build on Landens truck, Nice job there! That is about what im going to do with this in the first build then do a frame off later. Hey I replied back on the PM dont know if you received it I never heard back on that.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #67
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBNORML View Post
Nice work, looking forward to more updates.
Thanks man, The weather is keeping me pretty slow. Winter finally arrived in Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT71 View Post
Great work! Putting the same motor and trans in my 68, about the same point you are. I got the interior wiring plugged back in and going to try to start without going through the firewall. Please post more pics, I have got to cut out the firewall in mine, been dreading, already painted the cab.
Cool! do you have a build going on here? What pics would you like to see? my pic quality is a little crappy since I always seem to take pics at night in my poorly lit garage. Let me know how the starting up goes I'm sure I'll have some Qs if you get it started before I do. What are you doing for a fuel tank/pump? You can have my firewall template if you want it, it worked out pretty nice. That stinks having to cut after paint I hear you can put masking tape down on your cut line before cutting to minimize paint chipping but you still need to paint the edges over. post a pic of your install here if you want I'd like to see yours.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:00 AM   #68
JohnT71

I dont have a build thread going on here but I have got alot of pics. I would like to see pic under you dash after you get wired up. Supposed to snow in the morning not sure if we will get anything done, but hope so. As far as the fuel tank, I plan on building one out of stainless steel and putting the factory fuel pump sending unit in it, that is if I can shorten it. For right now I am just going to set the fuel tank off the 98 truck on it to start. Thanks for the offer on the templete but the hole for mine is different. I will do the tape before I cut for sure. Anyway here is a pic of mine, do not want to highjack your thread. I have the radiator and trans cooler hook up but not in the pic
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #69
67cheby
67cheby

looking good !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #70
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT71 View Post
I dont have a build thread going on here but I have got alot of pics. I would like to see pic under you dash after you get wired up. Supposed to snow in the morning not sure if we will get anything done, but hope so. As far as the fuel tank, I plan on building one out of stainless steel and putting the factory fuel pump sending unit in it, that is if I can shorten it. For right now I am just going to set the fuel tank off the 98 truck on it to start. Thanks for the offer on the templete but the hole for mine is different. I will do the tape before I cut for sure. Anyway here is a pic of mine, do not want to highjack your thread. I have the radiator and trans cooler hook up but not in the pic
Thanks for the pic JohnT71 ! yours looks great, definately cleaner than mine. Your not hijackin If I ask for it. I think you really should start a build on here though thats a nice truck you got going and I'd like to see more and I'm sure we'll be sharing a lot of info with the same drivetrain. I plan pn the same for using the stock tank for startup but I change my mind constantly on tank ideas and I think ive settled on just buying the big boys aluminum cell with a walbro external fuel pump. We got a little snow made for some 4X fun on the way to work.

so heres a few Qs about what your thinking on a few things, are you using the 68 radiator or the 98? my 97 is way too wide. What are your thoughts on steering column/ignition switch. I love the dash mounted ign but was thinking a 88-94 column would be easier.

Ill snap some pics when I start to mock up the interior wiring, I didnt get to work on it sunday so hopefully this weekend. Also I want to move the ECM and fuse/relay center into the interior after I make sure everything works in the transplant. Later

Old 02-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #71
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
looking good !
Thanks Cheby! so how many years is that introductory price good for on the slosh tubs? I should be grandfathered in to the introductory price since I watched you invent them right ?

Old 02-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #72
JohnT71

Yes I am using the 68 radiator, I have a good 3 core. The 98 radiator is too wide, couldnt make it fit. Did bust the plastic side of the 98 radiator and removed the trans cooler part to hook back up. Probably make a bracket for it to set in. I also have a tilt column from a 71 that I plan on using and the key in the dash ignition is what I want. I suscribed to this thread, keep up the great work.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #73
67cheby
67cheby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
Thanks Cheby! so how many years is that introductory price good for on the slosh tubs? I should be grandfathered in to the introductory price since I watched you invent them right ?
LOL, you got it ....grandfathered in !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #74
fakerwade

Looking good, except your going too fast. (making me look bad)
I like your fuel cell idea, keep it up!
Build thread "TANGERINE" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=498570

Board Members Met: bigblock68, ol_skool_chevy ,68TT,atvpro
fakerwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #75
id_unavailable

good god you have done some work. Rust sucks but it looks like you have a handle on it. keep it up
id_unavailable is offline   Reply With Quote