The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2009, 04:10 AM   #1
texasfunk

1987 Chevy Silverado project

Got this truck from a close friend, traded a 2000 grand am with 150,000 miles for it. as soon as i got it i added some rally's, bucket seats from a suburban and a bowtie to the grille

texasfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:13 AM   #2
texasfunk

Re: 1987 Chevy Silverado project

soon after i painted the rally's, added wheel well trim, and stock grille and bezels. also added a suburban rear bumber

Old 06-20-2009, 04:24 AM   #3
texasfunk

did some interior work as well, replace the dash with a better one from my parts suburban, put in a sub, fixed gauges and all lights, redid all wiring inside dash and installed new radio and speakers, headlight and hi bean switch, also put in anew steering column. hopefully i can get some carpet soon. new doors go on tomorro with power windows

here it is next to my 1982 step-side with 502BBC
Old 06-20-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
ECU PIRATE

Nice rides texasfunk!!!! I wish I could make the same kind of progress on my 82' SWB. The going is slow but in the end it is worth it
14' VW Passat SE TSI (my personal)
14' Ford Edge Sport (Daily Work Vehicle)
73' SWB Stepside - 77K org. miles
74' LWB 454/TH400 - drive train transplant for my (Sold)
98' SWB C1500 W/T - shop truck (Sold)
90' GMC Sierra SLE short step - aka " Jezabelle " (Sold)
ECU PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
JohnC

Glad to see you started a build thread. Can't wait for updates.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
menace121978

very nice man! those buckets look good in there...

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Man you have done some fast work on that thing Looks good! Only one thing and sorry to say this, paint your trans cool black. It just pops out with all the black. And then you can be rocking!
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:16 AM   #8
texasfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECU PIRATE View Post
Nice rides texasfunk!!!! I wish I could make the same kind of progress on my 82' SWB. The going is slow but in the end it is worth it
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Glad to see you started a build thread. Can't wait for updates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by menace121978 View Post
very nice man! those buckets look good in there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvblazer78 View Post
Man you have done some fast work on that thing Looks good! Only one thing and sorry to say this, paint your trans cool black. It just pops out with all the black. And then you can be rocking!
thanx everyone! next weekend i will put the new doors on and do the power window conversion, i got the doors from a suburban, and the two extra switches will be used to control the air ride front and back, also next weekend entire interior is coming apart for cleaning, painting, new carpet, and build the console which will house the sub and window/bag switches, consoles going to look stock, want to keep the truck stock, but have some subtle additions. and about the trans cooler, once i put the grille and all i knew i had to do something, but dont know which paint, what can i use that wont affect the cooloing?
Old 06-22-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfunk View Post
and about the trans cooler, once i put the grille and all i knew i had to do something, but dont know which paint, what can i use that wont affect the cooloing?

Any kind of flat black will work, just spray a lite coat on. Will not change it that much.
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:32 AM   #10
texasfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvblazer78 View Post
Any kind of flat black will work, just spray a lite coat on. Will not change it that much.
thanx, i'll do that when im replacing the grille,

in all of yals opinion, what should i do when painting this truck? i know for damn sure i cant just sand it and paint over the rattlecan job, but, would it be easier to buy replacement fenders, or strip and do body work on these, what about bedsides, get skins? or strip and repair. i have a set of good doors, and the hood shouldnt be hard to do.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:42 PM   #11
bigblazerboy

like the progress. also like how you swaped back to stock grill but the center piece is from the wrong year. the bezels are 83-84 and grill is 85-87. not that noticible but would set it off nice
bigblazerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #12
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Hey TF, good to have another West Texan here! I used to go to Lubbock a lot. A friend of mine owns Corvette Garage there.

You stole that truck! Heck of a deal on any day of the week and it's really looking sharp. Great stance, love the rallies! Look forward to more updates.

Is "Funk" the last name? I had to ask. The "Funk" name is legendary in these parts.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:26 PM   #13
ECU PIRATE

texasfunk,

I could not tell you how to proceed since this is my 1st attempt at a build since my Dad and I re-did my 68' Camaro back in 1988. On my 82' I have tried to stay away from repo parts so far. I went so far as to pull (2) sets of fenders off of (2) different trucks to get the best ones. There is something about original American made GM parts that is much more appealing than buying an aftermarket part made 1/2 way around the world. Don't know what other members might say but, I would opt. for doing the body work if it's worth it or getting some donor panels from a parts truck. Its too hard to get rust free parts here in Northern Virignia but, I must stay vigilante. I am now on the hunt for a donor engine for my 82'...........trying to go big block all the way! The hell with the gas prices. This will be my weekend ride...........
Old 06-27-2009, 12:04 AM   #14
texasfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblazerboy View Post
like the progress. also like how you swaped back to stock grill but the center piece is from the wrong year. the bezels are 83-84 and grill is 85-87. not that noticible but would set it off nice
yea,i figured they were different, i traded a guy my phantom straight up for these parts off his truck and a suburban, he gave me the best parts he had, so they came off two different trucks, an i just painted them all black, i kind of like how the bezels and grill have the middle stripe, but will it look better if i change it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruthaMan View Post
Hey TF, good to have another West Texan here! I used to go to Lubbock a lot. A friend of mine owns Corvette Garage there.

You stole that truck! Heck of a deal on any day of the week and it's really looking sharp. Great stance, love the rallies! Look forward to more updates.

Is "Funk" the last name? I had to ask. The "Funk" name is legendary in these parts.
thanx! good to be here!

yea, i went to pick it up with him when he got it and i told my self i was getting this off his hands one day, funny thing is, my dad traded his 86 monte carlo for this guys 93 stepside, then this guy traded the monte for this 87, then one day he called me and said he was selling it, and i HAD to have it lol

and no, its just something we came up with as a "club" name for something or other. just how we get down here in westex. haha
Quote:
texasfunk,

I could not tell you how to proceed since this is my 1st attempt at a build since my Dad and I re-did my 68' Camaro back in 1988. On my 82' I have tried to stay away from repo parts so far. I went so far as to pull (2) sets of fenders off of (2) different trucks to get the best ones. There is something about original American made GM parts that is much more appealing than buying an aftermarket part made 1/2 way around the world. Don't know what other members might say but, I would opt. for doing the body work if it's worth it or getting some donor panels from a parts truck. Its too hard to get rust free parts here in Northern Virignia but, I must stay vigilante. I am now on the hunt for a donor engine for my 82'...........trying to go big block all the way! The hell with the gas prices. This will be my weekend ride...........
yea, i have a GREAT set of doors off a pristine 91 suburban, with power windows and locks, they look BRAND new, i would use the fenders, but the entire clip is going on my 82 stepside. i may go to a parts yard and get fenders, i hate how they spray painted this whole truck, makes everything alot harder, the bed sides are rusted up pretty bad, have no idea where im going with that yet. and same here..my 82 silverado has a 502 big-block, and i drove her everyday 30 mins to school and back. haha

new pics at the lake

Old 06-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #15
bigblazerboy

its not that noticable. just the bar is smaller.

bigblazerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #16
texasfunk

oh, i see, i may have to hunt for another grille then
Old 06-29-2009, 12:09 AM   #17
texasfunk

some new pics of the truck at the lake, shes looking beautfiul! haha

Old 06-29-2009, 12:45 AM   #18
flamingbig10
6.0 powered square

Quote:
thanx, i'll do that when im replacing the grille,

in all of yals opinion, what should i do when painting this truck? i know for damn sure i cant just sand it and paint over the rattlecan job, but, would it be easier to buy replacement fenders, or strip and do body work on these, what about bedsides, get skins? or strip and repair. i have a set of good doors, and the hood shouldnt be hard to do.
looking good, on the rattle can paint job you'll need to it sand down the original paint or even down to the bare metal, and on the body panels if there pretty straight then stripped down and repair and it all depends how much sanding and body work you want to do
flamingbig10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:36 AM   #19
texasfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingbig10 View Post
looking good, on the rattle can paint job you'll need to it sand down the original paint or even down to the bare metal, and on the body panels if there pretty straight then stripped down and repair and it all depends how much sanding and body work you want to do
yea, i figured that, its going to be a project for school next semster, i am going to paint it, but i only have 8 weeks, so i was trying to think of the fastest route, my proffesor needed some parts for his 86, and he had a set of brand new fenders in the box, and gave them to me for the parts he needed, and i have the good doors off the burban, so that part is a breeze, now the bed :S

got another deal! i was stripping one of the parts burbans, and aguy passed by and asked if i was going to use the lower door panels, i told him no and he asked if id trade him the panels for some wheels, well in the back of his truck he had 4 15x8 rallys, and i needed some siince the ones off my stepside got stolen, so he traded them. they were in great condition! cleaned them up, added some more paint, in my back yard my dad had a set of pretty good 255/70/15 road huggers and told me i could have them, now i need 2 more center caps and 3 trim rings. search continues..
(g/f got a pic of me working. haha)
Old 07-03-2009, 12:06 AM   #20
texasfunk

got the new shoes on my stepside! and the doors on my fleet, now i finally have power windows, they work great! priming them tomorro! have the dash taken apart again, pulling and replacing the carpet as well

Old 07-03-2009, 08:36 AM   #21
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Wow! What a difference you have made. That thing is coming along very nice.

If you want to match things up, rather than finding a new frill, you could also change the headlamp fillers.

Either way, keep the progress reports coming.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:58 PM   #22
ECU PIRATE

Quote:
got the new shoes on my stepside! and the doors on my fleet, now i finally have power windows, they work great! priming them tomorro! have the dash taken apart again, pulling and replacing the carpet as well

How much work was it to wire in those power windows? I am thinking about making the same swap on my 82' with the doors off of an 80" Suburban (w/ factory speakers in the door panels)
Old 07-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #23
texasfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Wow! What a difference you have made. That thing is coming along very nice.

If you want to match things up, rather than finding a new frill, you could also change the headlamp fillers.

Either way, keep the progress reports coming.
thanx! yea, im going to take the ones off my stepside, it has the grille to match my fillers, lucky me! haha
Quote:
How much work was it to wire in those power windows? I am thinking about making the same swap on my 82' with the doors off of an 80" Suburban (w/ factory speakers in the door panels)
it was actually very easy, i just used the harness out of the suburban, cut off the back window harness, and used the original plugs, plugged right into my fuse box and grounds, and work great!
Old 07-06-2009, 09:57 PM   #24
Neon Beach

Both look great. Bolt on stuff is the bestest, but don't forget to spend some cash on the important stuff.....
Attached Images

Neon Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:17 PM   #25
80chevyshortbox

the truck is looking awsome. i love the stance and the rims. you should get a sport rear bumper or a rollpan, it would top it all off.
80chevyshortbox is offline   Reply With Quote