The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2019, 10:04 AM   #26
MolsonCanadian

Re: A-arm shaft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmc56 View Post
Please have a look at post #17 AND #24 of my build thread. As mentioned in #24, the dimple needs to be facing up and 'slightly' toward the center of the truck, facing away from the ball joint. I wish I could remember what 'slightly' meant. I think it was at about the 1 o'clock position, but it has been a while.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=560841

Hope this is helpful.
Jon
I know this is super old, however I'm putting my front end together. I get the fact that they should be towards the front and slightly towards centre, however, what does the notch index into? The Moog instructions say there should be a tang. I see nothing.
MolsonCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #27
jonmc56

If I recall correctly, in the middle of one of the saddles where the lower shaft rests there should be an indexing head that fits into the dimple of the shaft. On mine I think it looked like an oversided rivet head. You can sortof see it in the picture on this page:
http://blog.brotherstrucks.com/1963-...nsion-rebuild/

Hope this helps,
Jon
jonmc56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:59 PM   #28
Rick Bollinger

I just did mine and jonmc56 is correct. The rivet in the front saddle is your index pin. I broke my old bushings loose while on the truck with a big wrench where the arm would be solid enough to really get some torque on it. Then after it was off put the arm in the vise and finished removing the bushings. When I installed the new shafts and bushings I put my seals on the shafts first then put grease on the shaft threads and the A arm where the bushings go in. inserted the shaft into the A arm them started the bushings hand tight until the bushings started into the A arm on both sides. Turn them in about another turn then check to make sure the shaft is centered in the A arm. I check this by measuring the hole in the top shaft to the outside of the A arm and turn the shaft one way or another to center in the A arm. The same way for the lower but I measure off of the shoulder of the shaft to the outside where the bushing goes in. This was my first install and it is a little intimidating in the beginning but its not that bad.
Rick Bollinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:20 AM   #29
MolsonCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Bollinger View Post
I just did mine and jonmc56 is correct. The rivet in the front saddle is your index pin. I broke my old bushings loose while on the truck with a big wrench where the arm would be solid enough to really get some torque on it. Then after it was off put the arm in the vise and finished removing the bushings. When I installed the new shafts and bushings I put my seals on the shafts first then put grease on the shaft threads and the A arm where the bushings go in. inserted the shaft into the A arm them started the bushings hand tight until the bushings started into the A arm on both sides. Turn them in about another turn then check to make sure the shaft is centered in the A arm. I check this by measuring the hole in the top shaft to the outside of the A arm and turn the shaft one way or another to center in the A arm. The same way for the lower but I measure off of the shoulder of the shaft to the outside where the bushing goes in. This was my first install and it is a little intimidating in the beginning but its not that bad.
Awesome! Found the pin, didn't realize it was in the saddle. Thanks so much!
MolsonCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote