The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2019, 05:15 PM   #26
'63GENIII

Re: Give me the really big picture on manual trans options

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
I considered the divorced option back when I pulled a full synchro T19 close ratio out of a 2wd (?) Scout I had briefly. Thing shifted like a dream, but the swap was beyond impractical. Of course, if a guy really wants something that shifts like a car, he could go drive a car. That’s not why I’m here.

I’ve done stuff like stick bending, and I was “modifying” stuff back when nobody had heard of a plasma cutter. We used cutting torches. I’m really trying to keep heavy mods to a minimum here. I’m keeping in mind this is a 50 year old original 4wd burb. I was hoping there was some “silver bullet” here I hadn’t run across.

Even with my bad engine right now with 3.08s and 31’s I can generally do 70 on the interstate. Maybe not always uphill. I have no qualms about hanging in the right lane and letting people give me a thumbs up—or middle finger—as they blow by. Based on all your input so far I’m still thinking of just rebuilding the original drivetrain, and if somehow it gets to where I have so much money sitting around the house that I’m tripping over it I can look at that Gear Vendors unit.

The divorced set up really isn't that bad. My 205 out of a Dodge was only 150 or 200$ IIRC and the 4500 with the stock BH was only 800. Full disclosure - I did put new syncs into the 4500 but it really is an awesome transmission for our trucks.

A few years later when I built the new 7.4, I had a few extra $$ and got the AA BH. I really like driving the truck on long drives now. The old TH400 would have the truck taching around 3000 - 3200 keeping with traffic. It just lopes along at 2200 most of the time these days in the same situations.

If I had to do it again though, Id probably shoot for the post '95 transmission as it has a little taller 1st gear (less granny) and a synchro reverse which is kinda nice if youre lazy like me.

I did look at GV for a minute but realized that it would only give the OD in 2wd.
The Ranger gear splitter was cool too but I figured that i had enough levers, sticks, buttons and old gizmos in the cab already and needed room for people to sit.

Whatever way you go, post up pics and update us on your progress! Good luck!

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote