The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
slaminum69

Opinions on knocking sound on I6 250

Here is my situation, I have a I6 250, its been rebuilt with all new parts and maybe I have 1000 miles on it, there has been this knocking sound I cant get rid off. I have changed out the lifters, rockers arms and its still there. I did track it down to the 5th cylinder, tightened the valve till it went away but then it begins to misfire, loosen it up and the knocking is back, repeat and same situation. I am having a hard time thinking its the cam, but you never know, today I am going to pull the lifters out on the cylinder again and take a look at the cam to see if there is any distortion. Also I noticed on those two rockers arms there was alot of air bubbles in the oil coming from the push rods. So I am looking for some inputs from the I6 gurus on here, Thanks in advance. Dennis
slaminum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
luvbowties

Question Re: Opinions on knocking sound on I6 250

Lifter, hopefully; or cam lobe, hopefully not---but if you replaced lifters, hope seems to be fading...
sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: Opinions on knocking sound on I6 250

It may be a worn valve guide.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

If replacing the lifter does not fix it, take it to a mechanic or other person that has experience to see if they can determine what it may be. I would even get a second or third opinion.

Engine noises are very difficult to pinpoint unless you've had a lot of experience with engines. What may sound like a knocking noise to one person may be desicribed as a ticking or clicking sound by another. Also, the pitch of the knock determines where it's coming from. A deeper knock usually comes from a main bearing and a higher pitch knock cab be a rod bearing or wrist pin. There's also piston slap which makes a different sound.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #5
awbrown

short the plug wire and see if you get the same results as you are getting by messing with the valves .. I bet it is piston or wrist pin related ,the old motors manuals told how to tell the differance between noises by when the happen .. when does it make the most noise ??? reving , coasting ? accelerating ??
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Lifters "tick". Rockers "clack". Rods "knock".

Lifter tick will usually go away after the lifter finally gets pumped up with oil. Rocker arm clack is constant and changes dramatically with RPM. Rod knock on the big end of the rod will normally happen at deceleration or can be subtle at idle. If a wrist pin is going... it is pretty much the same as when the big end end goes... but will not be as pronounced.

There is also pre detonation... that is a loud "pingish-knock" that happens during acceleration.

Edit... Exhaust manifold collectors can leak at the donut gasket and give off a noticable "tick", that can be mistaken as internal engine noises as well.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.

Last edited by GASoline71; 04-23-2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: added more
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
Rufton

I would dump the oil and cut out filter element then inspect for metal flakes.
Rufton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:51 PM   #8
pgaffaney

Hello Dennis,
I wanted to follow up on this post you had a couple of years ago. Were you able to resolve the issue? I'm running into the EXACT problem you posted about. I have about 1,500 miles on a rebuilt I6 250 (1969 Chevy C10) when a "ticking" noise started. "Ticking" occurs at idle to about 1800 RPM. The "ticking" goes away at cruising speeds 45-60 MPH (above 1800 RPM).

With use of a stethoscope, it sounds like it is in the valve train, number 5 piston. I'm able to get the "ticking" to go away by adjusting/tightening the rocker arm nut while engine is running, but the engine begins to choke out.

I replaced all lifters, inspected rocker arms & push rods. The cam looks okay based on a video scope. Oil pressure is good, fuel pump checked out, no exhaust leaks. My next step is to pull the oil pan to check the bottom end.

If ANYONE has more thoughts or ideas it would be appreciated.

Thanks.
pgaffaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:50 PM   #9
nonstop

Have you checked the stud? Could it be pulling out of the head?
nonstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:26 PM   #10
pgaffaney

Yes, I checked the studs as well.
pgaffaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:28 AM   #11
Chevyrestorerman
Account Suspended

My guess is cam walking. Any one check cam shaft end play while they rebuild their engine. Pull the distributor, check your distributor gear. Do the easy stuff first.
Chevyrestorerman is offline   Reply With Quote