The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2016, 03:54 PM   #1
1981_c10

59 apache frame to 2000s chevy??

First, I have read through the frame swap ideas on this forum and cant find any from where someone used a 1999-2006 frame. Does anyone have any idea if a short wheel base regular cab from 1999-2006 would work under the 59 apache swb?

I am wanting to do a 5.3 and this seems like the easiest way to get all the upgrades I would want.

1962 C10 Recreating Dad's High School Truck
1981 C10
1981_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: 59 apache frame to 2000s chevy??

Tape measure will tell you all the basic info: wheelbase, track width, frame width, distance from firewall to CL front wheels are critical. I did a quick search and could not find a 2000 frame diagram. I did find one place that listed the frame width as 42" vs 34" for TF. That tells me the frame will be in the step and bed area unless you raise the body a bunch. I also found the track wide is about 3" wider front and rear so tires sticking beyond the fenders will be an issue. If the frame kicks up in the bed area, you might also have to raise the bed floor. If you are going 4wd these probably are not issues.

The fact I could not find any information on the swap tells me that others have looked and decided that it was a no go.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:08 PM   #3
Warrens69GMC

colorado or canyon?
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:33 AM   #4
mr48chev

I'll be glad when this frame swap fad runs it's course and people go back to doing the right thing and do the mods to their stock frame rather than cobbling trucks together with frames that weren't intended to go under them.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:02 AM   #5
Highsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I'll be glad when this frame swap fad runs it's course and people go back to doing the right thing and do the mods to their stock frame rather than cobbling trucks together with frames that weren't intended to go under them.
I am under the impression, especially for a TF, the stock frames are very suitable.
Except for extreme rust or damage, of course.
Roof Swap on my Panel
Jim's Bread Truck
Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:35 AM   #6
mr48chev

To me if you have a good stock frame as a base to start be it AD or TF truck you end up building a more valuable and desirable truck in the long run if you keep the stock frame and do the proper mods on it than if you do a frame swap.

Put it this way, you have never seen the announcer rave about the cool S-10 or late model Frame swap when an AD or TF truck rolls across the stage during a Barrett Jackson auction telling how it adds value to the truck.

That said I have no issue with doing a frame swap correctly if you have a rusted out, hacked up or no frame at all to start with. A lot of guys are building trucks one piece at time buying a decent cab here and hood and fenders over there and the bed from a guy who had one using it as a trailer and a frame swap makes a lot of sense there.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:34 AM   #7
Fitz57

Not a fad for me. Been on my bucket list since the mid 80s to build a IFS 4x4 for a TF. Built a 57 straight axle 4x4 in 75 with stock frame. Now in the middle of putting my 57 street rod on 05 Silverado 4x4. Very difficult project, but I knew that going in.

I'm using part of the 57 frame from the front of cab to about 2' behind cab as a sub frame. That way did'nt need to fab cab mounts and I can use under cab brake cyl. Still need to fab rad support mounts.

99-07 frames are built in three sections with the front clip coming in 2wd or 4x4. I cut the welds to the middle and front section And shortened the middle to get my 114" wb. Then re welded factory welds. The rear section is 42" wide and bed will fit but steps and step brace will need to me modified. Middle section is 44" wide but cab clears as do cab step braces.

Problems: If you use stock engine mounts engine will sit about 2" forward of stock TF engine. Axle width is wide and you need to use positive offset wheels. Works fine on 4x4 with 18" stock wheels, not sure on a 2wd.

I went to gmfitters.com and downloaded frame dimensions which helped out a ton

Pic is mock up.
Attached Images

Fitz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:37 AM   #8
Fitz57

Pic of frame.
Attached Images

Fitz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:43 PM   #9
joedoh

fitz that is outstanding. dont take anything mr48 says about fads personally. his project is stub framed and he hasnt touched it in 20 years. how someone can be so hypocritical and jaded about fads and frame swaps when he has one of each I have no clue, but it takes all kinds of people to turn the world.

mr48, sounds like you need some help getting your project working again. every time I see you post about someone elses decisions I am going to offer to come help you work on your truck so that you can join the discussion from more recent experience than 20 years ago.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:09 PM   #10
1project2many

Some info can be found at the GM upfitter site:
https://www.gmupfitter.com/

Here's info for a 2002 truck:
https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/med...CKTruckNew.pdf
P. 108 might be a good place to start.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:49 PM   #11
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1981_c10 View Post
First, I have read through the frame swap ideas on this forum and cant find any from where someone used a 1999-2006 frame. Does anyone have any idea if a short wheel base regular cab from 1999-2006 would work under the 59 apache swb?

I am wanting to do a 5.3 and this seems like the easiest way to get all the upgrades I would want.
Not exactly sure but I think the wheel track is a good bit wider. I am, however, sure a late model Trailblazer, Envoy or Ranier will fit. If you are patient, you can find one with a 5.3 (or 6.0 if you find an Trailblazer SS) already in place. A Ride and Drive hit in the front Trailblazer went through the salvage auction here the other day in pretty good shape for $2,300. I got the idea to do mine from the '55 Ligenfelter project as shown in this link:

http://www.streetrodlife.com/feature...-chevy-pickup/

Anything you choose to do will be fun. Look forward to the build thread. dug
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:27 PM   #12
47 Fasttoys

Frame swap fad ? Often times is is the best solution. I'm am using a 2003 1500 Silverado frame. A frame swap is not for the faint at heart and a strong welding and fabricating skill set is a must. Others are correct the 2000 + GM truck track width is to wide for the AD or TF regular truck under 1 1/2 ton. Mine is a 1 1/2 ton COE so things are different. It is easier, in most cases, to modify a stock frame, but it is all the other things you get with a modern chassis that are over looked: manufacturer engineered systems designed to work together. In my case drive train, 4 wheel disc brakes, matching master cylinder/booster, fuel system, exhaust system, wiring etc. etc.... add the cost of all those system to a stock chassis and then look at the cost of a modern chassis swap and it makes sense.
Good luck in your search for the correct donor, newer is better.'"cobbling trucks together with frames that weren't intended to go under them" really? cobbled together? I think not.
Rob

Last edited by 47 Fasttoys; 07-09-2016 at 10:35 PM.
47 Fasttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:05 PM   #13
_Ogre

frame swaps are not a fad but they are often attempted by noobs that read fasttoys thread and think 'i can do this'
as fasttoys mentions 'A frame swap is not for the faint at heart and a strong welding and fabricating skill set is a must.'
ebay and craigslist are full of frame swaps with ''over $20k invested all it lacks is finishing''
the original poster gives no indication on his skill set for welding, fabrication and electrical
typically if you have to ask about a frame swap, you don't have the skill set required

look back 5 years at frame swaps: while some have been finished, probably 80% did not
the projects start out strong with 5 buds helping and great progress each week
then the money fades, the help fades and eventually the project also fades
frame swaps are neither an easy nor cheap alternative to fixing and maintaining your truck

if your thinking about a frame swap make sure you have the proper skill set or the intelligence to learn
have space to work: 2 trucks scattered to the wind takes up space
tools: other than the obvious mechanics tools, you need a welder and know how to weld, learning to weld on a frame makes bad sense
some money in the bank helps too

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote