The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2017, 04:14 PM   #26
Speedbumpauto

Re: I want to hear Thunder,what mufflers?

Sometimes "thunder" can get old on a long cruise. Costs more but I installed electronic cut outs and made two systems. The LOUD side is 3 1/2 like the collectors and comes out in front of the rear wheels. The MODERATE side is 2 1/2 and goes all the way to the rear bumper through summit magnaflow clones. All controlled through a switch on the dash disguised to look like a wiper(or other) switch. Probably the most fun thing I ever bought for this truck.
Attached Images

Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:47 AM   #27
my56chevytruck

those sound great JJ. good work
Morrie
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:05 AM   #28
bowt1ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbumpauto View Post
Sometimes "thunder" can get old on a long cruise. Costs more but I installed electronic cut outs and made two systems. The LOUD side is 3 1/2 like the collectors and comes out in front of the rear wheels. The MODERATE side is 2 1/2 and goes all the way to the rear bumper through summit magnaflow clones. All controlled through a switch on the dash disguised to look like a wiper(or other) switch. Probably the most fun thing I ever bought for this truck.
I'll say it again - nice set up SB! What advantage/disadvantage is there to going larger on the "LOUD" side, in lieu of staying with 2 1/2"? Also, why go as far back with the mufflers? Trying to make my exhaust plans soon.

Thanks, Jim
bowt1ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:40 AM   #29
Speedbumpauto

There is no advantage to keeping the 3 1/2 as far as sound. I have a 4 1/4 stroke 505 CID big block and the collectors were already that size + there was plenty of room to do it. At the time I thought I might be a weekend racer so there might be a couple of HP, but it probably comes down to what we've all been told....size matters.
My theory is the farther the mufflers from the heat, the longer they last and there is room under the bed to keep them high and it gave me plenty of room for the H pipe. The over the axle was the hardest part of the system. I learned from red faced experience that the completed tail pipe could not be removed once tacked together. Put a collector joint in the center to facilitate that. A smaller tank or different rear suspension could make that part unnecessary. I might sound like a salesman for the cutouts but the look on the face of the driver who pulls up beside you at the light with the base booming away is priceless when you flip the switch and blip the throttle a couple of times.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:08 PM   #30
bowt1ed

Oh yeah, I definitely plan on installing cutouts - albeit just for a 383 Stroker crate, not a BBC. Just wondering if there was an advantage to the larger pipes there. I'll likely stay with 2 1/2" for all after the collectors. Where do you have your cut outs dumping, around center cab?
Old 11-01-2017, 12:18 PM   #31
bowt1ed

Never mind, I see in the pic.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:37 PM   #32
dsraven

exhaust contains oxides of nitrogen and other products of combustion that are corrosive and cause rust issues, as well as the heat issue. if possible try to keep the exhaust tips behind the truck to keep all that hard work in restoration out of harms way. have you ever noticed that some cars,with the pipe too close to the rear, have a yellow scum near the tailpipe tip? that is from the stuff in the exhaust. last week I installed magnaflow on a buddies mustang. it says right in the paperwork to keep the tips further behind the bumper to avoid this scum and possible paint damage from the products of combustion. have you ever been under a vehicle that had dumps ahead of the rear axle? if the system was on there for any length of time any bare spots on the underside were rusty from there back I bet. those style of systems also heat up the diff if they are close.
just my thoughts, it's your truck
nice job on that system speedbump, well thought out.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:30 PM   #33
OutlawDrifter

Exhaust is very subjective to an individual's ears.

You need to find a "tone" you like and work from there. When I was in high school, every 5.0 Mustang had Flowmasters...they sounded awesome. I put an 80 series on my Z28 and it just wasn't the same. I've had all flavors of mufflers. Dynomax Ultraflows are still my "go to" muffler. They are stainless steel, sound deep, and keep the interior drone to a minimum. That being said. I have mid-length headers, no cats, and a Hooker Aerochamber on my 6.0l powered Z28, and it sounds wicked without being overpowering.

I've found a big car cruise is the best place to decide on a new exhaust system. Sit on the sidewalk and enjoy the show...when you hear one you like, flag them down and get the details.

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:37 PM   #34
Iplay4keepz

Quote:
.... Probably the most fun thing I ever bought for this truck.

That exhaust setup is mighty sexy.
Iplay4keepz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:16 PM   #35
Speedbumpauto

Thanks all. It's not as sweet as some on the TV shows but it's a good example of what an average guy can do with some tubing, some bends and some hose clamps/masking tape. I don't have a TIG but my 110V Lincoln with .023 wire and C-25 works pretty well with a grinder follow up. The one tool that might be indispensable is my hoist. Too old to crawl under them much anymore.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:21 PM   #36
bowt1ed

You MIG welded the stainless? Can't tell from my cell pic.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:16 PM   #37
Speedbumpauto

No, it's all mild steel. When I got all the pipe and brackets to fit the way I wanted, I sent it all out and had it ceramic coated. Makes it look good and might help with heat where the exhaust pipes get within about 2" of the tank in one spot in the rear.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:35 PM   #38
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

"What mufflers?" That's exactly what I said when the cop pulled me over.

Maybe I'm just trailer trash, but I love the sound of cheap glass packs!
Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:52 PM   #39
Black_Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Z View Post
"What mufflers?" That's exactly what I said when the cop pulled me over.

Maybe I'm just trailer trash, but I love the sound of cheap glass packs!
Setting off car alarms when you drive down the street is fun the first few times.

Who am I trying to kid?

That stuff never gets old...
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:17 AM   #40
hogfarm

Well I'm back on track,I have bought (and returned) 6 sets of headers and finaly found a set that I can use
hogfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #41
evilokc

I went with single chamber flowmasters and they have a great sound. I often have people tell me how healthy it sounds.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:14 PM   #42
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
No, it's all mild steel. When I got all the pipe and brackets to fit the way I wanted, I sent it all out and had it ceramic coated. Makes it look good and might help with heat where the exhaust pipes get within about 2" of the tank in one spot in the rear.
Where did you have the ceramic coating done and are you happy with the results/their customer service, etc?

I’m going to have my exhaust manifolds done and wnt to be happy with them, even if I have to send them out of state. Hadn’t thought of having the entire system done but if it’s remotely affordable, I might. Looks very nice.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:51 AM   #43
Speedbumpauto

I went with Affordable Powder Coating in Phoenix. They've done two sets of headers + the 55 exhaust system. They do good work at a reasonable price. A little bit of a distance for you but I'll go from Tucson to Phx for them every time.