The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2024, 02:11 PM   #1
Factory Guy

Body Alignment Questions?

First off I am NOT a Body guy.

Please reference the "BEFORE" picture

I am in need of some advice here. I put a LS in my truck recently, but to save myself these kinds of headaches I DID NOT remove the front fenders of my Squarebody. I DID remove the radiator core support, but where the fenders bolt to the cab I did not loosen them or modify them. Prior to starting the job all of the hood and fenders lined up as one would expect. Now that I have put everything back to together, with the hood in the closed position, I have the hood raised about 1/2" above the fender on the drivers side (pic labeled #2 and 2a)? I cannot figure out why? Yes the core support was removed (the core support is in awesome shape with NO RUST or damage) and the rubber core support bushings were replaced with new ones, when it was reinstalled? Pic Labeled #3 is the passenger side.

The hood was NEVER removed or were the fasteners loosened.

In my swap I did replaced the upper radiator cover (pic labeled #1) with the (1977-My truck is a 1973) hidden hood release panel so I could have an interior hood release. This upper radiator cover panel seemed to be straight and yes it was a USED OEM panel.

To the best of my knowledge no weight, nor did I ever lean on the drivers fender (all of the gaps by the drivers door a pretty equal to the fender)

***edit*** there are currently NO pressure or contact of the RUBBER hood supports on piece #1, holding the hood up or open.

Should I start shimming up the driver side radiator core support?
Attached Images

Last edited by Factory Guy; 02-07-2024 at 02:48 PM. Reason: clarification
Factory Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 03:29 PM   #2
Keith Seymore

Re: Body Alignment Questions?

The first thing you can do is push the radiator support to the driver's side. (slide it over).

That will help the gap between the fender and the hood on each side.

Then - I guess I'd try moving the hood latch down to pull the hood down onto the bumpers. Then adjust the bumpers.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 10:39 PM   #3
hugger6933

Keith has you going right to help you out take a tape and make an X measurement pick a point on say drivers side rear then go across to pass side front then take opposite measurement the difference will tell you how much you need to go once you cut the number in half. Dorr if the door gap to the fender gaps are the same up and down you may need shimming on the core support or lower the hood latch the core support may be sitting higher than before if the new rubber has it raised up some and that will explain the up and down
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 12:18 AM   #4
Factory Guy

Thanks guys. I did the cross X measuring when I put the core support back in and it was square in the cross X measurement pattern. But I can loosen it up and pull it to the drivers side some more and see what it does, then I will try adjusting the rubber bumpers.

Thanks again for everybody's suggestions.
Old 02-10-2024, 07:13 PM   #5
Factory Guy

Thanks guys for the input!

Pulled the core support over a little it helped the gap a little. I pulled the rubber bumper off the truck (under the hood) the hood really didn't close any better, hood latch (eyebolt) is super tight, maybe I will loosen it up a bit, maybe shim the drivers side radiator support as well. I will keep trying stuff.