The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2015, 01:56 AM   #1
Gregski
Post Whore

Has anyone done an Advance Design to Squarebody frame swap?

not sure if this is sacrilegious to ask, but my '74 half ton short bed aint exactly the purdiest truck to look at, yet my knees get weak any time I see a bull nose '54 so is it possible to transplant the Advance Design fantastic body lines onto the 73-87 frame / chassis?

now I've heard of the S10 frame swaps, but I don't want to buy another truck if I aint got to, plus I got no place for two trucks let alone three
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:08 AM   #2
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Re: Has anyone done an Advance Design to Squarebody frame swap?

If you can structural weld then anything is possible. Seen a few on C10 chassis but they do have a wider track width so the frontend is typically not tucked in the fenders depending on what tire/rim combo you use.

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #3
mr48chev

I'm not a fan of chassis swaps under 3100's unless you don't have a stock frame to work with but since you don't have an early truck to start with what about finding a 1-1/2 ton with a solid cab and good nose and putting the cab and nose on your square body chassis and then putting a matching short box bed on it and widen the rear fenders to match? Quite often a guy can find a pretty decent 1-1/2 ton with a good cab and nice nose and a very dead engine for a whole lot less than he would have to pay for a 3100 in the same condition. The fenders are enough wider that you don't have a tire sticking out problem and you can run as big a tire as you like.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:12 AM   #4
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubds10 View Post
If you can structural weld then anything is possible. Seen a few on C10 chassis but they do have a wider track width so the frontend is typically not tucked in the fenders depending on what tire/rim combo you use.
Thank you, so I am a newb but love to learn stuff, so what I am hearing is that the Advance Design trucks are narrower than the CK trucks, correct? The Wiki unfortunately doesn't give us the width measurements they do give us wheel base and length, so that's why I didn't know.

Do you know by how much they are different?
Old 05-28-2015, 10:14 AM   #5
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
... what about finding a 1-1/2 ton with a solid cab and good nose and putting the cab and nose on your square body chassis and then putting a matching short box bed on it and widen the rear fenders to match?
You know I haven't thought of that? I didn't even know 4100s and 4400s existed, dope, thank you for the idea
Old 05-28-2015, 10:32 AM   #6
dubds10
Stalker Nate

The track width difference is roughly 6" if I remember correctly so 3" on each side extra. After 1Tons the bigger trucks have the wider nose but the fender wheelopening is larger as well so needs big rims or tires to fill it in.

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:49 PM   #7
oossuuu754

I would hit up Chris at Ole Sarge Customs - skymangs on the forum here. If anyone could do it he could or would have the idea how.

Cecil-1953 5 window build thread

Skymangs..Chris of Old Sarge customs had a shop fire and was severly injured. To help with the medical bills and expenses a fund has been set up here....http://gofundme.com/c49h5mjx8 More details are here...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7253189
oossuuu754 is offline   Reply With Quote