The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2016, 09:10 AM   #1
Drew1987

47-55 questions: New

Hey guys

I am new to the forum. I am looking for my first truck. Most likely going to be a bone stock semi-rough 1950 3100. I am very familiar with the powertrain as I have a 50 Chevy car (but it's built now).

My main concern with this truck is the front end. I would like to look into what IFS would maintain both the stock/original ride height and also maintain use as a 1/2 ton truck (towing, hauling, light off road use). I also want to know what to expect comfort/control wise in a well-maintained original front end at 70mph and what common parts can be used to add power steering.

With my 50 car, it's reverse direction Astro van steering gear with some other common easy to get parts and custom bracketry

Thanks in advance for the help and conversation
Posted via Mobile Device
Drew1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:56 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: 47-55 questions: New

Way back when guys swapped the 49/54 car front suspension into these trucks to get an independent front end under them. Still viable and as you already know the front ends no surprises.
I think that Steve at Industrial Chassis = http://www.industrialchassisinc.com/ can set his front crossmember that uses Dodge Dakota suspension and steering pieces up to set at about what ever height you want. Bolt in unit.

Several guys on here have used a crossmember from a gent who is on the truck board at times that some say sits a bit closer to stock than the lowered look that they like. Their complaint might be just what you want, that one uses G body GM suspension pieces that are the same as S-10 The link slips my mind though.

Some have used Jag XJ from the late 70's and early 80s and that could be set at any height you want reasonably easy and unbolts from the Jag as a unit. Some guys even use the factory Jag bushings to mount the whole setup rather than trimming it down and cleaning it up more hot rod style. Price depends on how many Jags of those years might be in near by wrecking yards though.

Someone will no doubt post some photos and ideas. Remember guys

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote