The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2017, 06:06 PM   #1
two55trucks

undecided chassis swap

i'm new to this site, so please bare with me. i recently purchased two '55 series two chevy truck's, one is a 3800/1 ton and the other is a 3600/3/4 ton. both are flat bed's. what i am looking to do is to build myself a shortbed, half ton pickup with a later model undercarriage. i've been given a '95 chevy 1500 pickup with the extended cab and shortbed box. my question is, what all will be involved in successfully/correctly joining the newer chassis and the '55 body? any, and all input on this subject will be very greately appreciated and i thank you in advance.

Last edited by two55trucks; 11-02-2017 at 04:44 AM. Reason: i overlooked the fact that my truck's are both series two
two55trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:22 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: undecided chassis swap

are your 55s first or second series?...if they're first series trucks the late model chassis is to wide for them
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:51 PM   #3
mr48chev

The 95 Chassis is doable but you will have to shorten the frame to match your short box bed length with the standard cab. You still may be limited as to what wheel and tire choices you have if the truck is either an AD or TF.

If you are on FB do a search for Purple Monkey Kustoms as Rich has done a ton of swaps using the 88 and up full size chassis.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:33 AM   #4
two55trucks

they are 2nd series truck's. thank you for bringing that oversight to my attention. i guess i should re-post with the correction added
Old 11-02-2017, 04:38 AM   #5
two55trucks

thank you for the info mr48chevy, it is much appreciated
Old 11-02-2017, 01:38 PM   #6
_Ogre

welcome to the forum, don't take my advice personally, but, since you asked...
we have no knowledge of your abilities, skill set, work space or fabrication experience
typically if you have to ask; you do not have the ability or skill set required to do this
those that do go head on into the project and post the results

while there are some very successful task force frame swap threads on this forum
most languish for years and eventually fade away into the internet never never land
then all 3 vehicles end up on craigslist or ebay as basket cases that sell for pennies regardless of your investment

task force frames are very basic and easy to modify, update and still have a bolt on body
3800 frame is the same basic frame or all pickups with the exception that it is straight behind the cab
3600 frame is the same as the 3200 frame (lwb 1/2T) and can be easily shortened with little effort to be a 3100 frame
the only update that the 95 frame offers is ifs; possibly a high mileage worn out ifs that needs a total rebuild
ifs can be bought new or used and installed in a fraction of the time required to modify the frame to accept the body and the body to accept the frame

obviously ogre is not a frame swap advocate
i am just trying to point out the obvious flaws in your project

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:50 PM   #7
dsraven

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=sgtusmc

59 with 88 frame swap. pics as well but they are photobucket so unless you have the "fix" they won't do you much good. this one is really low.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:15 PM   #8
dsraven

you could also:

fab a new frame for your truck, with the frame width desired for the clip you find, and install a bolt in front clip from something else you pick up, possibly a C10 or something similar track width. the old frames are basically 6 x 2 (?) x 3/16 rectangular tubing with some sections raised (over the diff) or cut away (above front axle and also drop to front bumper)
pick up a "bolt in" IFS from an aftermarket supplier that is a one piece cross member to which the upper and lower control arms bolt on. less chance of a suspension geometry screw up
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote