The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #26
Crupe

Re: 1968 chevrolet truck power steering conversion

Is a 4x4 box the same as a 2x4
Posted via Mobile Device
Crupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:28 AM   #27
BlackedOut67shorty

Noppers
2000 mercury sable
Thats a how I roll
BlackedOut67shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #28
Nick Goldsmith

I have a 67? with armstrong steering 4x4. any chance I can use the old pittman arm? with the power steering gear?
thanks, Nick
Nick Goldsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #29
Jkobernusz

I just put in a power steering sector on my 67 chevy with raised bosses and still had to use two 3/8 washers that I cut to make them C's so the bump on the sector didn't hit the frame. Just wanted to put that out there.
Jkobernusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:59 PM   #30
markedgar5

I have searched nearly everywhere and found this post to be quite helpful.
Wanted to add some part numbers for those in need.

These are for the cardone steering gear boxes. Which some have had luck and others have not. However I hope this may be of some help for those looking for a budget swap.

Year 1968-1976. Part number 27-7501 cost 91.00 after discount code at advance auto of 30 percent. TRT30 code

Year 1977-1979 Part number 27-7512 cost 90.00 after discount code at advance auto of 30 percent. TRT30 code

Year 1980-1986. Part number 27-7522 cost 105.00 after discount code at advance auto of 30 percent. TRT30 code

Any of the above should be a direct bolt in on 67-72 trucks. Except for the obvious dimple or bumper mount frame issues

As posted earlier the later years are metric.
I believe the 77-79 has a 3.5 lock to lock turn. Same as some quick ratio.
I did not want to post a new thread since there are so many on ps already.
I cannot comment on the quality of cardone, lares, and others.
markedgar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:07 PM   #31
markedgar5

I attached to wrong thread
There was one that listed all part numbers except for gear boxes. Of course I can't find right now. But was very helpful. I'll try to find link. And post up
markedgar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:19 PM   #32
jakewalter

Talking Re: 1968 chevrolet truck power steering conversion

I’m reluctant to do the power steering upgrade to my 67 stepper.
The only reason my wife doesn’t drive it is because it steers to hard for her.
jakewalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:21 PM   #33
David_houghton92

Hey fellas, I'm in the middle of my first frame up restoration on my 1969 k10. Atleast that's what it'll be when I'm done. The problem I'm running into is that I'm wanting to install a power steering gearbox on my 1968 frame. When I purchased the pickup the guy gave me a gear box but it absolutely will not bolt up without altering the frame. The gear box I removed was a 3 bolt manual gear box and all the power steering gear boxes I've found are 4 bolt. My frame does not have the dimple (it is flat) I can make an adapter plate but wanted to do some research first and see what others have done. Does anyone have any pictures of how they adapted theirs? I realize this is an old thread but any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Dave.
David_houghton92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:06 AM   #34
Jkobernusz

David,
check out Orielly's Auto part number MasterPro Power Steering - Power Steering Gear

Part # 503-0114 that is for a1968 K-10 and to me it looks like only 3 bolts to hold it on. That should do the trick to get your power steering up and running.

Josh Kobernusz
Jkobernusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:04 PM   #35
David_houghton92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkobernusz View Post
David,
check out Orielly's Auto part number MasterPro Power Steering - Power Steering Gear

Part # 503-0114 that is for a1968 K-10 and to me it looks like only 3 bolts to hold it on. That should do the trick to get your power steering up and running.

Josh Kobernusz
Thanks josh, I'll look into that. If I can find one that's a direct bolt on it would just make life so much easier. Even if I need spacers it's easier if I have the correct bolt pattern.
David_houghton92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:21 PM   #36
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

I have a queston about a 68 power steering conversion. I just bought a power steering column that came out of a 68 Suburban. I need to know if the rod device that attaches the steering column to the power steering gearbox is the same as it would be on a manual or do I have to buy the rod attachment device for a power steering? I need to know this before he ships the column since I'm going to be buying the seller's Rod attachment device if I need it
PROJECT JIGSAW 1967 GMC C3500
GREAT WHITE 1986 Blazer M1009
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:37 AM   #37
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

Ummmm......help........Ummmmm.....?
PROJECT JIGSAW 1967 GMC C3500
GREAT WHITE 1986 Blazer M1009
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:36 PM   #38
jadedbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue betty View Post
Hi there, I just did this conversion in my 67. Besides the used gear box, rebuilt pump, new hoses, bolts, belt, pulley, new pitman arm and new rag joint (old one was destroyed taking it off, grinded the rusty bolts off much faster). Thats about all I needed pretty quick and simple installation. Took me about three hours with no air tools. Oh and I got an alignment done after as well. Runs great so easy to steer now, almost to easy one finger. I should have did this years ago. Good luck
This was helpfuk
Posted via Mobile Device
jadedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:18 PM   #39
natestep

I'm also doing a conversion on my 67. I used donor parts from a 80 1 ton. My problem is the drag link is a lot heavier on the 1 ton and my tie rods are way smaller than the holes in the drag link. I can't find a drag link that looks right. You would think an 80 C10 would work but according to pictures they won't work. The links I'm seeing have ends on them and I'm needing one that all four hook ups are holes. Any help?
natestep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:17 PM   #40
natestep

I'm also doing a conversion on my 67. I used donor parts from a 80 1 ton. My problem is the drag link is a lot heavier on the 1 ton and my tie rods are way smaller than the holes in the drag link. I can't find a drag link that looks right. You would think an 80 C10 would work but according to pictures they won't work. The links I'm seeing have ends on them and I'm needing one that all four hook ups are holes. Any help?
natestep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:27 PM   #41
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by poway View Post
Hello: I have a 1968 chevy panel with "power assist". I'm referring to the kind that has the hydraulic cylinder between the frame and the linkage and uses a manual steering box. I'd like to convert it to a power steering gearbox and dump the hydraulic cylinder setup. It has the power steering pump and hoses. Anyone see any problems with just bolting up a rebuilt power steering box and reconnecting the hoses to it? AutoZone has Duralast rebuilt units for $125.00 + $45.00 core. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Any parts with the name like "Duralast" I would stay away from, just my experience & my .02 cents.
ck5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:03 PM   #42
Eddye

Hi. We have a 68 chev ck20 4x4, wanting to put power steering on it. We have a pump and gear box off a 76. Pulleys don't line up. Do we have wrong pump for
this truck.
Eddye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #43
Barnfind1969

Hello everyone,
Thank you for opening your forum to me, I am a brand new member just today. I am planning this very conversion on my 1969 C10 LWB. What year power steering pump and steering box work will work for this swap? Only 67-72 or will other 70's truck parts work? My truck has a 250ci six cylinder engine, six lug hubs with manual brakes (which I am planning on keeping for now because the brakes were completely redone right before I acquired the truck). My truck will be lowered but not bagged.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:25 PM   #44
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Barnfind, your biggest problem will be PS brackets and pulleys. You can sometimes find them in the classifieds but jump fast, they don't tend to linger. They at getting pricey since there aren't many around. I've seen sets of brackets only go for $150.The gearboxes up to IIRC 87 (later for Burbs) are bolt on but you may have to match the output fitting to the later hose. They changed styles at some point to an O-ring style. The Rag joint may also be different, some are some aren't. I bought a rebuild kit for a rag joint and used the original flange on each half and rebuilt the middle. The swap is fairly easy but when you find a set of brackets, make sure to get the pulleys. You can usually source them from any 250 without the integrated head (where the head, intake and exhaust manifolds are one unit). Don't forget to make sure you get the pulleys that match the PS Brackets and pump and make sure you get them all. It's a fairly straight swap of parts but you'll probably need to measure for a belt. I used a piece of twine and tied it to length so it fit like the belt I needed. Don't forget to get all the Pulleys from the vehicle you rob parts from. I got my pulleys and brackets off of a 74ish Nova. Some others will have them and all the 250 without integrated head that I have seen, will work. Here's the score or the repetition of "GET ALL THE PULLEYS". If you have to try to match pulleys to what you have or are adding, you will probably wind up doing more work and research to do that than the whole rest of the swap put together. I know I have seen at least 3 different sets of pulleys and 2 different sets of brackets. There's also some difference in the PS pump pulley itself. I would suggest getting the hoses from both the bracket donor and the gearbox donor. Even if you have to have a hose made, you will have the fitting size and style to show the Hyd hose guy. Hope this has helped.

There are some mods you can make to the 250 with integrated head to make them work. I haven't done it but if you use the search function, you'll find the info. There aren't many questions that haven't been asked and answered several times on the board and many of the longtime members will usually tell you to use the search first (don't take it personally) or post a link to those to save the typing.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 10-12-2017 at 10:38 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote