The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2008, 10:48 PM   #1
D-Day
Live fast, die young

Speedometer cable squeak, make it stop for the love of God!

I can't stand it. It stopped for a while, but with it getting cold again, so comes the dreaded squeak...tempted to rip the cable out and just get a GPS speedometer of some sort. But it wouldn't work in all conditions reliably. Perhaps a digital speedometer? New speedometer altogether? I've replaced the cables in the past, tried lubing it, but to no avail.

It's gotta be in the speedo gauge itself. It's the loudest in that area, and lubing/replacing cables has never done anything. Suggestions?
D-Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:19 PM   #2
grinch4om
dang its hot

Re: Speedometer cable squeak, make it stop for the love of God!

replace the speedo head. If you already did the cables, leaves only the head...
grinch4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:03 AM   #3
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

Unhook the guage and drive around with it unhooked, then if it squeaks you will know it's the cable. If nothing, it's the guage. Sounds like it's the guage from what you say. I have seen new cables squeal because it was kinked somewhere or bent just a bit too much somewhere else. See if you can lube the guage. I don't know how, as for some reason i've never had a noisy speedo or cable, so I never had to mess with it.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:24 AM   #4
Russell
Professional Grade

Mine are all running the 90 - 91 electronic speedometers now. Speedo cables and -40 just don't play well together.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

I too live in the cold & like Russel have found low tems and mechanical speedo's don't play well togther. I fixed mine by replacine the cable with a new GM cable and lubed it with ATF only and removed the speedo head, cleaned it and just a drop of ATF around the drive where the cable hooks in. I have to do this every winter and it's a pain but it works. No needle bounce, no noise at all. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
boatpuller

i just replaced my cable this summer.what a relief i bought a new cable and some napa white light grease that a mechanic told me about.and it worked for me.the mechanic also told me of case's where the cable sheath get's grooved inside and cause's problem's.so it maybe a good idea to change both.i just did the cable.mine was more than obvious,right where it goes into spedometer it was fraying.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:34 AM   #7
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

graphite powder if it is the cable... just for future reference me brudda

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote