The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #1
Dirt's72

Air cleaner Help

I recently purchased a 1972 C30 RV that has original big block 402 motor. The air cleaner had been cut off at the snout after the Thermac control. I'm not sure it is original to the truck, always figured it was. I decided to strip and paint an air cleaner from a 350 small block. I then noticed that the one from the rv on the right side of picture has a much wider snout. I thought that V8 big and small block air cleaners were the same??? If so what could the one on the right be from if it isn't original. Notice the thermostatic vacuum switch is on left on one and right on the other.

Dirt's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: Air cleaner Help

The one on the right looks like it had a fresh air tube hooked to it. The one on the left is too restrictive for a big block. It is even too restrictive for a 350 but they came out that way.
Wrenchbender Ret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:13 PM   #3
leddzepp

The left one is original to our trucks, the one on the right is not. Big and small block air cleaners were the same on our trucks.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:05 PM   #4
ho70

either one, but I would cut the end off the 350 one to allow more air and cut the end off the other one to eliminate the holes in the end
ho70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:12 AM   #5
mike16

why chop it up? why not put it aside and a get an aftermarket aircleaner. best of both worlds, win win all around
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:08 AM   #6
Jurassic-1

The one on the right would probably have come from a class C motorhome in the later 70s or 80s they ran the fresh air tube to the radiator support.
Jurassic-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:58 PM   #7
leftybass209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic-1 View Post
The one on the right would probably have come from a class C motorhome in the later 70s or 80s they ran the fresh air tube to the radiator support.
Spot on! While I was looking for a factory air cleaner assembly in the junkyard I ran across a couple motor homes that had these style air cleaners. The lid is correct, but as you mentioned, the base and snorkel assembly are different. The snorkel size and positioning reminds me of a 70's Pontiac style base as well, which had one or two snorkels depending on application.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:05 PM   #8
Jurassic-1

Actually if the plastic clip was still intact you could make a vintage cold air intake like the 81- 87 and above trucks had.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:35 PM   #9
Dirt's72

Post Re: Air cleaner Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
Spot on! While I was looking for a factory air cleaner assembly in the junkyard I ran across a couple motor homes that had these style air cleaners. The lid is correct, but as you mentioned, the base and snorkel assembly are different. The snorkel size and positioning reminds me of a 70's Pontiac style base as well, which had one or two snorkels depending on application.
You guys are spot on. The radiator support has a hole through it with a mesh screen, then a short tube to the left side of the exhaust manifold. I assumed it was to cool the motor as the rv had a four core sized radiator tank/mounts with only three cores. Looks like it used to be set up for cold air intake. I may just hook it back up as it can only help with all the weight this thing is dragging around. Maybe disconnect it in the winter. Thanks for the info.

Dirt's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #10
Jurassic-1

That is a cool rig. I have seen a few and tempted to buy one but have no time to use it. That looks to be in nice shape. Possibly you could post more pics of it.