The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
cjlinkster

Had a QuadraJet issue today

I recently rebuilt my quadrajet carb (I have rebuilt this kind of carb before in the past). Moreover, I have driven the truck on a couple of short trips (less than 10 miles), and the truck runs like a dream. Also cranks on the first turn of the key.

So when my neighbor asked me if I would help pick up some furniture in the next town over (about 30 miles each way), I said that I would help. The truck drove great over to the next town (it was around 1:00pm and around 85 degrees). I needed some pull down straps, so I stopped by walmart.

Some 40 minutes later (after buying the straps); when I went the crank the truck, it acted like it was flooded! I didn't pump the peddle of anything that would have caused the condition, but I could not get it to start. After a few attempts, my battery was getting weak, so I flagged down someone with jumper cables.

I basically had to hold the peddle to the floor (just like it had flooded) to get the truck to finally start. The truck drove good on the way back home (30miles).

Any suggestions? I am wondering if I perhaps, I have the choke set to rich. It doesn't seem too rich. I know that someone is going to say that it is the bottom plugs leaking, the bottom plugs looked fine during the rebuild. I did put some epoxy on them just to be sure.

carb m4mc

Last edited by cjlinkster; 09-11-2011 at 08:43 PM.
cjlinkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:28 AM   #2
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n
Account Suspended

Re: Had a QuadraJet issue today

Feeler guage the float level.
Posted via Mobile Device
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
79k30dually

Look into the primaries after the engine is shut off and see if there is fuel dripping. If there is the float level is to high. When you remove the air cleaner, check the choke position, if the engine is still hot the choke should be off. Good luck, Ron.
79k30dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
cjlinkster

Guys, thanks for the ideals. I am still playing with the choke setting. I checked the float level 3 times during the rebuild (3/8" on the spec sheet).

When the problem occurred, the choke had closed (this is after the truck had been driven 30 miles and had rested for 40 mins on a hot day). I had replaced the choke coil with a new one during the rebuild. I am thinking that I probably had the choke set too much to the rich side (too much spring pressure).

I saw a video that says to turn the choke counter clock wise (ccw) until the choke plate just barely closes and then turn it clock wise about 1/16" open. My front choke pull off is working. As soon as the engine starts, it pulls the choke plate off about 1/4".

I am wondering if I have another issue going on. I am wondering if I am having a thermostat issue, because the truck only barely gets off of the tick mark above 110 on the gauge (gauge could be wrong). Even after driving it the other day, It never got to the mid range mark (180). After running 5 mins in idle, I can touch the engine and it is just warm to the touch.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:38 AM   #5
tucsonjwt

Regarding the choke, I gave up on "automatic" chokes long ago. Invest $12 in a manual choke kit and be done with it. Then you will know when the choke is open or closed, and can control the choke position to be where you want it to be.
This is especially helpful in cold climates. I have some pics if you want to see my setup - very simple mod.
Vapor lock seems to be an issue with Qjets I have owned. I just push the accelerator all the way, or almost all the way, to the floor when starting with the engine hot, then keep the accelerator somewhat depressed when starting. A bit of a nuisance but it starts every time with this method. Otherwise, my Q-jet works fine.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
Goldfinger

if its flooded put the pedal to the floor to drain it out

1999 k3500 crew cab dually 6.5tdi/4l80e
Goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
cjlinkster

Update:

Just as I suspected, the prior owner had removed the thermostat. The truck was never warming up to the proper operating temp, which was causing the choke to stay on too long.

Today, I installed a new thermostat (190 degree) and changed the coolant. I took the truck for a drive to get it nice and warmed up, and then I parked it for 40 mins. Afterwards, I went back to crank it up. It start without any further problems.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #8
savatreatabvr

Hey TucsonJWT, I'm in the process of switching over to a manual choke, my valve covers don't have much to bolt or tie the cable to so I'm drawing a blank on what to do so if I could see how you set yours up it will give me some ideas! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Regarding the choke, I gave up on "automatic" chokes long ago. Invest $12 in a manual choke kit and be done with it. Then you will know when the choke is open or closed, and can control the choke position to be where you want it to be.
This is especially helpful in cold climates. I have some pics if you want to see my setup - very simple mod.
Vapor lock seems to be an issue with Qjets I have owned. I just push the accelerator all the way, or almost all the way, to the floor when starting with the engine hot, then keep the accelerator somewhat depressed when starting. A bit of a nuisance but it starts every time with this method. Otherwise, my Q-jet works fine.
savatreatabvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #9
cjlinkster

Here is a video on how to install one of the universal kits:

Another link to some information regarding converting to a manual choke:
http://www.v8buick.com/archive/index.php/t-129392.html

Personally, I would try to fix the automatic choke or upgrade to an electric.