The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Build a 63 GMC or 66 Chevy Truck
63 GMC Shortbed 20 55.56%
66 Chevy on Shortbed GMC frame 16 44.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2014, 06:33 AM   #26
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Re: What to build 63 GMC or 66 Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
Would you be so kind as to elaborate? I think they have "very cool" windshields & aren't the dashes different. I have one (63 GMC) on my trailer at my buddies house and the 66 Chevy is about 200 miles away at my cabin. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I will have the two cabs next to each other so I can see the difference myself. Until then I am just wanting to get input as to why different folks feel differently about the two style cabs. In case you guys can't tell I am "chomping at the bit" to tear into this project. Oh yeah, one other thing. My 66 Chevy truck has the original 283 and 4 speed manual trans still in it. I assume it was running (pretty fast if not good) when it was wrecked. Huh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Still leaning towards the LS/auto though.
The term refers to the part of the windshield frame that protrudes into the door opening.. When you get out of the truck, you may "knock" your knee on the way out. Its never happened to me, but that's why its called it.

I like it because its a 50's style leftover in a little more modern truck, and the dash is cooler for the same reason.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:29 AM   #27
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61_FL_Apache View Post
The term refers to the part of the windshield frame that protrudes into the door opening.. When you get out of the truck, you may "knock" your knee on the way out. Its never happened to me, but that's why its called it.

I like it because its a 50's style leftover in a little more modern truck, and the dash is cooler for the same reason.
Thanks for the info. I kinda thought it might be something like that, but was not sure. Def. a newb. here. Now talk Chevelles and I can keep up, but this era truck is an eye opening event. Have always "wanted to do one of these", just never got around to it. Round-2-it now. He He
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:43 AM   #28
cooperhw

Just thought I would post a pic of my black 67 Chevelle. It's sitting next to my buddies 70 convertible.

I know it's not a truck but I wanted my "new" contacts to see that I can build a nice car. That said, a shiny truck is about the last thing in the world I want to build with my 63/66 project. Years ago I did two trucks and they were really nice. So nice in fact I would not haul anything in the bed. Even took my shoes off if I had to get in the bed to wash them. "Never again" will I have a truck that I cannot even haul an ice chest or a set of lawn chairs in. The last (black) 55 Chevy truck I did the guy I sold it to first off threw a bed cover on it and put his stuff in there and let it scratch the cr*p out of it. He figured then he would not have to worry about scratched from then on.
Anyhow, my trucks will be trucks. don't mean they can't run good, but no shiny stuff for me. Been there, dun that.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #29
cooperhw

Well guys (and possibly gals) I have decided that the GMC (rust free cab) was way too nice of a starting platform to pull off the shortbed frame. I am going to side with the minority and leave them together and start on the 63 this weekend.
The 66 Chevy cab has some rust and a bent frame so it will be saved for a future build or ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Thanks for all of the input and sharing your knowledge. I am sure I will be asking for more info/help in the future.

I just located a 3/4 ton long bed with a rusty car, doors, etc. that may be a great home for my 66 Chevy parts. Hope I live long enough to get to all of my projects. If not, "it's the new dude's problem".
Old 11-06-2014, 05:25 PM   #30
DakotaKid

knee knocker is much much cooler. just my opinion.

Others, 1958 Edsel Villager Station Wagon
1926 Ford Model T Roadster Hotrod

www.suedescarclub.com
DakotaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:47 AM   #31
cooperhw

Well I thought I should just go ahead and end this thread. I decided on the 63 as it was a 100% rust free cab and it really grew on me.
I have since sold the 66 Chevy cab so for all intents and purposes this thread is just wasting your time.
Thanks for all of the input guys. I appreciate it.
Oh, I figured out how to post pics so here are a few of the 63 GMC.
Attached Images